• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HammerHeadHank

Registered
Hi, I have a MS-6590 KT6 Delta VIA chipset V2 motherboard with the latest bios 5.7 V flashed . I had a 700 MHz duron CPU and

did an upgrade to a Athlon XP 2700+ 2.167 GHZ, So my problem is the bios only recognizes it as a XP 1500+ 1.3ghz. I cleared

the CMOS no help. How can I use this CPU to its rated specs? op is XP - pro. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

HammerHeadHank

The last bios (the one you flashed to) probably came out before the XP 2700+ did. Just because the bios can't correctly ID the chip doesn't necessarily mean the chip will perform at a lessor speed than its rating. Do some research and find out what the multiplier for the 2700+ is supposed to be and then go into bios and see what multiplier the bios assigns to it. If it is supposed to be 13x (for example) and the bios sets it to 10x it will not be performing at full capability. The bios may or may not be able to assign a multiplier high enough to make it run at the rated 2700+ speed. Or it cold be that it the multiplier could be increased in the bios manually.

Is there an on-board jumper to change the bus speed? My IWill had one that needed to be set for 100/133 or 166. Just something you might check.

I also found this in a search. Not much help but you might note the date posted:
http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=33295.0

Thanks for the reply but it is a jumper-less con fig all software controlled ( Bios ) I managed to manually set the CPU multiplier to 13x but the FSB to MHz its suppose to be 333Mhz. Also system properties States bios at Rev year of 2001 board is newer??? and MSI live up date won't show the current bios rev. or the on-line version ?? How can I re-flash with windows ?? At the moment I have no floppy?? Any suggestions ?? Thanks, HammerHeadHank

I'm guessing the motherboard has already automatically set the FSB to 100MHz (200FSB). If this is the case, you may need to manually set it to 166 (333). The control for this should be in BIOS. That's probably all she'll need to do the trick.

Back