• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need help to Overclock Asus X551MA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Crieky

How to Overclock CPU ASUS X551MA

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/X551MA/]I've got all updated drivers to bios. I also ran ASUS GPU Tweak II But I want to overclock the CPU and increase the fan speed. Edit. The only thing I have tried is it MSIAfterburner Setup462.exe

and nothing happened like I couldn't get access to the actual CPU at all.

I haven't actually tried to ovarclock this device before so, complete beginner ,downloaded an app and it doesn't get access to the the CPU. This is a complete noob question.

Specs and Afterburner app as you can see doesn't let me do anything.

EDIT BIOS SCREEN SHOT

Last edited:
Of course MSI Afterburner will only overclock GPUs, not CPUs.

Most laptops are not overclockable. There are some higher end gaming laptops that have some overclocking features but the laptop you reference is an entry level product. In addition, most of us do not recommend overclocking laptops since that generally involves increasing voltages. That just makes them run hotter and laptops generally have marginal cooling to begin with.

The best thing you can do to increase the performance of that laptop is to replace the slow spinner hard drive with an SSD. At least that will improve boot times and program loading times.

Thanks you! I just thought I'd give it a shot and see what happens but the solid state drive sounds really good so that's next on the list. You've been most helpful and informative.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Of course MSI Afterburner will only overclock GPUs, not CPUs.

Most laptops are not overclockable. There are some higher end gaming laptops that have some overclocking features but the laptop you reference is an entry level product. In addition, most of us do not recommend overclocking laptops since that generally involves increasing voltages. That just makes them run hotter and laptops generally have marginal cooling to begin with.

The best thing you can do to increase the performance of that laptop is to replace the slow spinner hard drive with an SSD. At least that will improve boot times and program loading times.

Hello, I've also got the Asus x551ma. I tried to overclock it too a few years ago and I read somewhere you can't because the bios are locked or restricted on the chip itself. Furthermore, the page I read said you had to buy a new bios chip that wasn't locked in such a way as it is on the stock motherboard. It's been a while since I looked into so I might be a bit off about that. Also if you're looking to upgrade the x551ma, I purchased a new motherboard from Amazon from the "shine bear" merchant for around 50 buck. The upgraded board was a quadcore and registered as a pentium processor n3530. It's superior to the board in your machine that I assume is a n2815. In order for the computer to recognize the cpu as quadcore you need to reinstall your operating system. I also upgraded the ram to 8gigs (6.89 usable, as the rest is dedicated to required processes I believe) don't let people tell you the ram can't be upgraded beyond 4 gigs, if you research the cpu itself, it states its rated for 8 gigs. Additionally, I updated my wifi card to a fast board that had built in Bluetooth and got an "colorful" brand 640giv ssd for... I don't remember but it was cheap and works great. Then proceeded to update the bios for lack of finding out the info I needed to install a custom bios with cpu access. As to the motherboard/cpu I believe I saw a newer one out recently which is slightly better than my n3530. Just Google Asus x551ma n3540 motherboard or n3550 (if it exists for the x551ma by now) be sure you read those part discriptions to ensure it's for you machine as those cpu's are also used on other pc's/laptops. Hope this helps, good luck.

Back