• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need help with a possible mobo problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BoundByBlood

Maybe Something Cool?
My motherboard is an ASRock 770icafe.

I've been having this unusual problem where my computer doesn't always boot every time I press the power button - something is not always passing POST. I will have to cycle through a couple of hard boots before I can get an output signal to the monitor. Sometimes I go through quite a few hard boots while other times it's only two or three, but once it boots everything works fine.

Now previously I was mixing and matching two 8GB ram kits and I went ahead and purchased a 16GB kit thinking this would stabilize my system. I was wrong and I still have to cycle through a couple of hard boots. I know the issue isn't the memory since it's a brand new kit and I know it's not the PSU since it's also a new Enermax 1000W 80+ gold quality unit. My graphics card was also replaced with a new in the box R9 390X so that can't be it either.

One time while cycling through hard boots with my case open I noticed that the gpu fans don't always spin during a power on so it can't be the hard drive because that wouldn't affect the graphics card fans. Oddly enough there have been those few hard boots where the gpu fans will spin, but I'm still not getting a signal to my monitor.

This leaves the CPU, the BIOS [as a friend pointed out] or the motherboard. I doubt it's the processor since when it boots up everything works without issue once the system gets going. It could be the BIOS because I have looked in event viewer noticing a few 8198 security-spp events which according to Microsoft means: "this error usually occurs if a hardware is changed or any hardware device malfunctions and Windows is unable to verify the license again. Windows is unable to read the SLIC table in the BIOS which is required to be able to self-activate the OEM_SLP Key that is currently in use."

Other than the processor or the BIOS the last possible culprit is the motherboard in which case I'm thinking it's the PCI-E slot that is malfunctioning, probably due to the ram mixing.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
Hey man, thanks for the reply.

Nope, nothing is overclocked.

I've pretty much deduced it is in fact the motherboard. I took one of my 8GB ram kits and plugged them into the front two dimm slots closest to the cpu socket. After cycling through a couple of hard boots when it finally did boot it only recognized one of the modules. Then I took the same ram and put them into the back two dimm slots, when it booted both modules were recognized. So, the motherboard is pretty much trash and it's questionable how many other components the board took with it.

The PSU is still good so I can salvage it for a new PC build. The processor and hard drives are uncertain, but I'm kind of worried about my GPU which is less than two weeks old. Think it might be OK?

If it booted, the cpu should be fine along with psu. Video card should also be fine, but since it's only 2 weeks old should be able to RMA fairly quickly. The mem is questionable tho.

I had to cycle through quite a few hard boots to finally figure it was the motherboard, but it hasn't booted since the ram testing. After putting it all together in my head I turned the pc off, flipped the switch on the psu and unpluuged it finally calling it quits.

Ironically enough my bad luck is my gpu is already an RMA replacement. After my old gpu broke and Asus couldn't fix it they hooked me up with one hell of an upgrade, but the replacement inherits the warranty of the product you returned to them.

I'm sure the card is alright since when it did boot last I was able to game without lag, crash or issue. It just sucks that I have to come out of pocket to take care of this.

I'd do a nice hard CMOS reset on this. Pull the PSU power, move the jumper over and remove the battery. Wait a good ten minutes at least and see if that helps it. Some boards require a good long reset.

Also, AsRock could be picky with the memory. Some boards are just that way. Try no to mix and match your Rams.

GL

Back