• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with Asus probe please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
using AMD Overdrive it shows me the CPU temp

and its the same temps at idle from when before i unlocked cores 3 and 4

i'm just gonna get a fan controller i found off newegg that has temp probes on it...
however, i'm unsure as to where they go, and they thin enough to go between the CPU heatspreader and the HS without loosing the heat transfer rate?
This is the controller i'm going for:
Here at Newegg

hmmm...
well, i'll run AOD while playing Black Ops, Bad Company 2, and NFSWorld.
If i don't see it rise right away like CoreTemp showed when i ran only 2 cores i'll know its not the CPU temp, and just the socket temp.

NFSWorld for some reason always maxes out one core, any ideas?

Edit:
Why is my Southbridge cooking at 86 degrees C all the time? i looked at the map of the mobo on AOD and pretty much the only job of the south bridge is USB devices and HDD's, i have almost 2TB of HDD space in total of all 3 HDD's, and a DVD RW drive, and i use the ReadyBoost thing to increase my RAM, 6 Gigs + 12 Gigs flashdrive = 18 Gigs RAM, at least a company selling 10GB laptop ram upgrades thinks so. IMHO i have noticed an incredible boost in performance. But at the cost of cooking my Southbridge?

Last edited:
okay, so my temps are:
Black Ops:
CPU: 48C Mobo: 36C
Bad Company 2:
CPU: 48C Mobo: 35C
NFSWorld:
CPU: 43C Mobo:33C

it shows me 3 different temps in AOD, and there is one at 86/85C and the only HS i can feel close to that temp is that tiny little SB HS. For its heat lvl i'm suprised they went with such a small HS. its labeled as TMPIN2: 85C it has a TMPIN3: -294.68 idk why though.

i sprayed some canned air on it and the temp didnt change... what is TMPIN stand for?

spraying canned air into the CPU HS drops the CPU Temp from 35 down to 30

O.O oh thanks both of you, CoreTemp i already have, and it doesn't show temps after core unlock

BTW, idk if it means much, but its an 80W chip, and it hasn't gone over 54 yet in the Prime95 stress test... could the lower Wattage be directly related to the lower heat?
Before when i just ran it x2 on my old Mobo it would rarely hit over 48C

gonna undo core unlock and cross reference the temps from coretemp to AOD.

okay, so the temps at all stock clocks and cores were within +1 to +2 degrees C of the cores to the CPU Temp, my guess is its an average of the Cores Temps, i upped it to 3.5Ghz and the CPU temp was +1 degree C below the Core temps, imho the CPU temp must be the temp of the CPU entirely and not the individual cores, fairly respectable in my current setup.

Added question Friday, May 13:
this may be a rather retarded question, but i'm seriously curious...
has anyone removed the heat spreader and directly applied an after market HS to the cores? or is it logically impossible to remove the heat spreader, and is it just plain stupid to do that? I ask cuz, i figure it'll offer a more rapid heat bleed off.

Last edited:
okay, so it appears that the CPU temp is the Value of sensor 1... whatever that means, but its only 1 or 2 Degrees C higher than the core temp readings, so to that idea, i'll go off that, and consider upping the multiplier to get 3.5Ghz and go from there.

Back