• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with ATI RADEON 9600XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mkirby

Here we go. Im new to OCing, and i want to max my ATI RADEON 9600XT to the max.

Now, how will i OC it?

Should i flash the bios and how would i do it?

any tools to monitor clock/memory speeds and temps?

COOLING:

EITHER a -P4 stock heat sink (copper center, ALUM. fins) OR
-AMD 2000+ stock heat sink for the GPU( all ALUM.

Stock p1 heat sink cut into pieces and placed onto ram

All the heatsinks have been lapped with 2000 grit on a

Now, how is the best way to attach the HS to the gpu?

have the same card,dont know of any flash to my knowledge,your score is way low.at stock settings i get 4400-4460,check all your bios settings.agp has to be at 1.5 (no more no less)make sure 8x is on,that sort of stuff.try ati tool 2.2 to do all your ocing,make sure your fan is at 100% all the time.i know mine is,never had a heat problem,although i have a side case fan blowing on it.

With my side fan blowing on the card it still reads 43*c. when i get home tomorrow ill check the bios settings.

i dont know what you can do about that horrendous 3DMark score but i used to use a 9600xt and i feel sorry for you.increase the core and memory speed at the same time by 5mhz until you have increased both clocks by 25mhz.than try playing your games.if your games artifact or freezes reboot and report back here immediately.if not keep on happily gaming.

mkirby said:
i just ran 3dmark03 and got 1941...WTF?

turn off aa/af you should get like 3k or so, I get just over 2k with my ti4200. your card is almost as fast, however it has dx9 and can run mother nature which is worth at least a third of the total score. I do beat it in 3dmark 2001 and dx8 games but in dx9 its faster.

dude go to ati control panel and put all the sliders on performance (or atleast in the middle)turn off all of them stupid filters too!
download atitool and let it oc for you in max core and max mem then scan artifacts for like 30 mins and post results in 3dmark!...
btw i got 4580 stock cooling
and 43C isnt that hot...

all the sliders are on performance, i check that first:). Do you guys run the drivers from ATI or do you get them from some where else? i was just using ati tool and got to around 550/300 and the GPU was 57*c. i have some AS epxoy and as5 so im going to mouts an new p4 hs on it.

Check the smart gart tab in the video control panel. Make sure it says it is using 8x agp, and not pci. If it is in pci mode, reinstall your chipset drivers & video drivers. Also make sure you have DX9.

im so stupid, i had all sliders on QUALITY not PERFORMANCE.
Stock i got 3092 3dmark03, im goign to over clock now!

What I did with my X800 XT-PE was use the ATItool and find the max of botht he gpu and mem and let it go thru allt he 3dmarks and a few hours of gaming and if it is all good backup your orignal bios just incase and then mod it with those MAX gpu/mem settings then flash the new modded bios back ont he card that way it will always keep those settings

mkirby said:
im so stupid, i had all sliders on QUALITY not PERFORMANCE.
Stock i got 3092 3dmark03, im goign to over clock now!

Your scores should be higher than that still, with my 9600 Pro at stock I get 3550.

nice oc and scores kirby! even though i got better stable clocks on stock cooling you have a better score :thup: (i hate my crappy system GRR :confused: )

mine got 3800-ish stock...damn asus make a good card..
right now i got ummm 4580 or sumthing...
too bad my hacked to pro 3dmark03 cant upload...
btw check out my stable clocks!

thanks threeme, i was aiming for your oc, but i started to get some artifacts while using 3dmark03, so i installed the omega drivers and i could push it to 570/340. For some reason when i went to find the max mem in ati toool, it would crash my comp... so i did it my self. IM not home now, but tomorrow before i go party im going to see if i can push it some more :)

Back