• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need help with bios memory config.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Gigabyte GA970a-D3, FX-8120, Bios, and DDR3 ram something is wrong

Hello,

Catching this topic late and I'm hoping someone can help me.

I am frustrated and to be honest getting a little angry. I've built a new machine consisting of a Gigabyte GA-970a-D3 Rev. 1.4 motherboard, and an AMD FX-8120 processor. Before I go any further when I was putting this together I read that this board could take 32GB of DDR3 ram at 1866 mhz. I got two sticks 8GB per stick of 1866 mhz, 16GB total and put them in the system. Counted to 16GB so far so good.

Later I got two more same type put them in, am only seeing 24GB total ram, 20GB available ram, and 18GB of usable ram. This is from a win7 X64 setup. I go in to Bios, I am running the latest full non-beta bios f11, minimum needed according to Gigabyte is f10, I immediately hit two problems.

Problem1, I can not get the bios to see the full 32GB of ram. I'm thinking either bad motherboard slot or bad Integrated Memory Controller, IMC, on the processor.

Problem2, the ram that is seen is running at 1333 mhz. I'm sorry specs said it could run at 1866 so I got it it didn't do it.

I contacted Gigabyte they said that the board can run at 1866 with only one stick, but that it could see the full 32GB of ram even if it couldn't run that fast.

So, I bought four Kingsten sticks of ddr3 1600 mhz, 8GB sticks, 32GB total, put them in, and I'm getting the same issue. The ram that's being seen is not the full ram, and it is not running at the rated speed.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate knowing them. At this point if this board was still under money back/replacement RMA status I would take the box apart, ship the board back, and get one that would actually perform to specs, what is the point of buying 1866 mhz ram if the board will only recognize one stick.

What I'd like is to get the full 32GB out of my existing ram.

Thanks.
TS

Back