• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need help with i7 930, ASUS P6X58D Premium random freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm pretty sure the mobo/ram is compatible. I checked the specifications list.

I set the RAM timings to 9-9-9-20 as they should be.

What's a Command Rate?

I'm pretty sure the mobo/ram is compatible. I checked the specifications list.

I set the RAM timings to 9-9-9-20 as they should be.

What's a Command Rate?

It's another option somewhere in the DRAM timings menu. It's probably 2N. (There's a list of all the settings when you go into dram timings. something like 1st information, 2nd information, etc. look for 2N or 1N)

DRAM Timing Rate was set to Auto. I set it to 2N as recommended on the OCZ forums for this memory.

Try running with just one video card and one monitor. I just noticed that you said you still get sound when it freezes. Also you mentioned it freezes in the BIOS which is virtually impossible and stock settings. So it sounds like its a monitor/gpu/video cable problem.

Try running with just one video card and one monitor. I just noticed that you said you still get sound when it freezes. Also you mentioned it freezes in the BIOS which is virtually impossible and stock settings. So it sounds like its a monitor/gpu/video cable problem.

Well right now I'm running with the changed DRAM settings in the BIOS and it's working fine. However, I've had it run for up to 5 days without a problem so it's going to take me some time to troubleshoot.

However, running stock/default BIOS settings with one monitor (or even no monitor) results in freezes every few minutes. It's not a video card issue as the repair guys have tried various different cards.

I'm thinking now, that it's probably that for this mobo/ram configuration you MUST set the correct voltage and timings in the BIOS to have it work. Having things on auto just doesn't work. This was happening when I used a Rampage III board too... by the way. But they gave me this board thinking it was a mobo issue, and now I'm stuck with it.

I would strongly protest that. If they didn't know to manually set the RAM voltage and timings on a performance system (especially with OCZ gold, which has been particularly finicky for years), they have no clue what they're doing. That they failed to do that in the first place is their problem, not yours and you shouldn't be stuck with a lesser board for their incompetence. At least IMHO.

I would strongly protest that. If they didn't know to manually set the RAM voltage and timings on a performance system (especially with OCZ gold, which has been particularly finicky for years), they have no clue what they're doing. That they failed to do that in the first place is their problem, not yours and you shouldn't be stuck with a lesser board for their incompetence. At least IMHO.

Agreed! I would ask for your RIIIE back if that is what you ordered initially.

At this point, the hassle of unplugging the board, undoing the cable management, getting them to agree to get the Rampage back, getting the Rampage in store, reinstalling the new board... I just don't have the time for that - it would take days. But I agree with you guys. They should have known that the problem was in setting the DRAM timings, and next time I'm in the store I'll let them know.

The computer is definitely working better than before. Before, when I opened a RAM heavy application (Photoshop, Crysis, etc...) the computer would studder for a bit before it loaded. Now everything is smooth, so I'm optimistic that no further freezing will occur.

Maybe I should I go pickup an H50 and overclock this bad boy since you're all so helpful. :)

Have you tried running with just 8gb RAM? I recall reading somewhere about x58 boards having this kind of issue with 12...

But really, any board you have shouldn't run into problems with everything on auto. Try calling Asus tech support?

Have you tried running with just 8gb RAM? I recall reading somewhere about x58 boards having this kind of issue with 12...

But really, any board you have shouldn't run into problems with everything on auto. Try calling Asus tech support?

I tried running with 6GB of Corsair Dominator XMS Ram on default settings before. Same freezing issue.

That's when I decided to buy some completely different brand of RAM (the OCZ gold) in hopes that it was an incompatible/faulty Dominator RAM.

Maybe I should I go pickup an H50 and overclock this bad boy since you're all so helpful. :)

Please, don't do that. Overclock, Yes! Buy an H50, NO!! :D IMHO they are garbage. You would have a better overclock experience with a nice air cooler, and it doesn't even need to be a terribly expensive unit, or top of the line. $35-$50 is plenty. And you could see 4ghz+ fairly easy ;) Go buy it... you know where to find us :thup:

Please, don't do that. Overclock, Yes! Buy an H50, NO!! :D IMHO they are garbage. You would have a better overclock experience with a nice air cooler, and it doesn't even need to be a terribly expensive unit, or top of the line. $35-$50 is plenty. And you could see 4ghz+ fairly easy ;) Go buy it... you know where to find us :thup:

Any specific recommendations?

I love my VenomousX; you'll need some good fans to go with it too. If you have plenty of room, the Noctua NH-D14 is one of, if not the best there is. For both of those, you'll have to watch RAM clearance. Yours don't have tall heat spreaders IIRC, so you should be ok with either of them.

The coolers that Hokie linked are two of the best air coolers on the market. Great performance. They also cost a bit more. If you're looking to stay under $50, here's a list that should be more than sufficient for you. Compare

Last edited:
I've got a Fractal Design Define R3 case. Will those fit in it? That Noctua looks massive.

I've got a Fractal Design Define R3 case. Will those fit in it? That Noctua looks massive.

That case will house 160mm tall coolers, per bit-tech's review, and the Noctua is... 160mm :D. So it will fit, but just barely.

Ok, well the new BIOS settings sure seem to make the system more stable. No crashes for almost 3 days. But the issue is definitely not resolved. I've noticed that whenever I launch a RAM-heavy application everything studders for a second (especially evident when playing a song or watching a video at the time). This was actually also happening before when I tried a completely different RAM setup (3x2GB Corsair Dominator XMS), so I doubt it's faulty RAM.

This occurs consistently when I launch a Flash video like YouTube or Vimeo, or when I launch Photoshop, or Crysis.

Attached is a recording I made of the "studdering" that occurs. All I did in the sound clip was play a song, and then click on a YouTube video. (At 9s and at 28s is when a Flash video was launched). You can hear the crackling and studdering that occurs as a result of this.

Any ideas? Is this RAM related? Do I need to increase the voltage somewhere?

Attachments

• sound.zip
    375.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
It sounds like electrical interference, possibly something to do with power delivery to the CPU or Ram. It could be the motherboard, Ram, or the PSU causing it.
Your memory is not on the QVL for the Asus P6X58 Premium, I checked.

Update: Purchased the Patriot Extreme Performance Viper 6GB 3x2GB PVT36G1333ELK instead of the OCZ Gold.

So far, seems to perform better. Will report back again if it freezes again.

Back