• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Need help with i7 930, ASUS P6X58D Premium random freezing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok. I'm calling it as a confirmed fix now.

Replacing the RAM to Patriot Extreme Performance Viper 6GB 3x2GB PVT36G1333ELK get rid of the freezing (4 days up-time, without a freeze now) and it got rid of the strange shuddering when loading RAM-heavy applications. I still had to set my BIOS Overclocking to manual and set the RAM timings myself. It's still unstable on Auto settings.

My verdict is that the neither the OCZ Gold RAM kit, nor the Corsair Dominator XMS kit that I had before were compatible. However... ASUS is fault too because in theory, everything should work fine on Auto.

My verdict is that the neither the OCZ Gold RAM kit, nor the Corsair Dominator XMS kit that I had before were compatible. However... ASUS is fault too because in theory, everything should work fine on Auto.
For what it's worth, with the varied RAM specifications out there that are all non-compliant with JEDEC specifications, it's darn near impossible to get a system to work properly on 'auto' with every set. Basically, it's not the board's fault. That's why the RAM comes with detailed timings and voltage; because it should be set by the builder.

Regardless, it's great that you got the problem resolved. Hope you get to just enjoy your machine now!

This problem seems to have returned.

Can someone please suggest some BIOS settings I can try to resolve the strange RAM freezing?

My RAM timings and DRAM Voltage is set to those specified by Patriot for the PVT36G1333ELK kit. What should my CPU voltage and QPI be set to?

This problem seems to have returned.

Can someone please suggest some BIOS settings I can try to resolve the strange RAM freezing?

My RAM timings and DRAM Voltage is set to those specified by Patriot for the PVT36G1333ELK kit. What should my CPU voltage and QPI be set to?

Leave CPU voltage and QPI to auto- it allows the CPU to set those voltages itself which is the best situation as far as compatibility goes. I strongly suggest calling Asus tech support to see if they've heard of the problem before. In my experience their TS is great

Leave CPU voltage and QPI to auto- it allows the CPU to set those voltages itself which is the best situation as far as compatibility goes. I strongly suggest calling Asus tech support to see if they've heard of the problem before. In my experience their TS is great

Leaving everything on Auto causes the computer to freeze sometimes (with some processes still running in the background).

Messing with some QPI settings causes the computer to freeze with a highly distrorted image on the monitor (sort of like some pixel corruption on video files) and all process shut down in the background.

What should I tell ASUS? I don't even know which component is at fault.

Ok. I got myself a Noctua cooler and overclocked the system to 3.2ghz.

This hasn't helped resolve the freezing. Can anyone offer any other possible solutions at all?

P.S. Please see revised original post for details of my testing.

This hasn't helped resolve the freezing. Can anyone offer any other possible solutions at all?

I am pretty sure I know what your problem is. I just worked through the same exact problem as you. It was the Vertex 2.

I have exactly the same problem, ram management is concerned with 3X2Go since it does not freeze,
12GB is planted in it and that redetects to restart with 8gb GSkill PI 7-78-7-24 detected as 1066
The map even lock the copu it faudrais svaoir delocker and how we could make the shot a ram 1600 and it could solve the problem can be.

My config : I7 930 Asus P6X58D premium

Memtest is OK

Edit : the problem has reappeared, and the poster asked that the status be reopened

Last edited:

Edit title please : not solved please

Just simply disable onboard audio in the Bios settings, worked for me.
I do not know why the onboard audio causes the freezes.

Back