• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with motherboard selection

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ProgramGuy

Hi Guys,

I currently have an Asus Z97-A motherboard and its left wanting a bit. Over all its just fine and I have no complaints other than its capabilities. I need a recommendation for a new motherboard that can fully utilize a Samsung 950 Pro and have the capability of running SLI at it's fastest speeds (ie, multiple fast slots)... and to top it off, I want to overclock as needed. I need an LGA1150 since I have a 4790K that I want to use. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Ehh, that is how all Z97 boards work (that don't have a PLX chip - which is like 2 boards, expensive boards) as far as the PCIe lane breakdown.

You only lose 1-2% anyway (as Suppressor alluded to in your other thread).

You can overclock 'as needed' on that board. I personally don't see a reason to switch unless it has a feature missing that you need or want.

Ehh, that is how all Z97 boards work (that don't have a PLX chip - which is like 2 boards, expensive boards) as far as the PCIe lane breakdown.

You only lose 1-2% anyway (as Suppressor alluded to in your other thread).

You can overclock 'as needed' on that board. I personally don't see a reason to switch unless it has a feature missing that you need or want.

Right now, it's more of a want having that Samsung 950 Pro running at full speed. If I have to step up to a new mobo and change out the processor and memory, then this is an upgrade that will have to be put on the burner for a while, as I'm just about to put the trigger on a couple GTX 980 Ti's and the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is very low right now (Christmas and all). Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

So confusing across two threads............

2 980Tis? How many monitors are you running to need that???!!

Samsung 950 pro... we talking 2.5" or PCIe? If its 2.5", it is what it is and no board would change that

Ok, gotcha. I don't recall through the many many threads what is what... old man here! :p

Yeah, its only 10GB/s on the M.2.

Here is a list of Z97 based M.2 boards at newegg. I am not sure off the top of my head which supports the 32GB/s bandwidth offhand... you will have to check specs and see. I would get the cheapest that supports it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ntel Motherboards&Order=BESTMATCH&isdeptsrh=1

Back