• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Replacement for Asus 990FX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
All 9xx boards should have AM3+ right out of the box...you only need to update the BIOS for 8xx or prior boards.

Even with updating the bios, a lot of 8xx boards will give problems when trying to run the FX series CPUs, however. Retro fixes often have limitations.

I doubt any major reseller that is stocked first in first out as they should be, have any 9xx boards without having the FX bios in place.

How Long does ASUS RMA system take?

Okay, so a 970 would work out of the box?
I need to save up money, and while waiting on my RMA, yould you suggest using a 970 to 'buy' my time basically until I get the RMA back?

Such as using this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280

While waiting on a RMA and saving up money for one of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131735
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128508

Now Which one of the above will work best?

Trust me, I would have saved money by buying the better montherboard earlier, lesson learned.
In case your wondering, I would most likely build with the 'extra motherboard' a in house server at a later date with no care for whats in it.

Myself for sure the ROG CHV.

If they do not have a newer REV of the UD7 then they have had issues with bios menus not having APM and the like in the older style Phoenix bios. Intel has gotten Gigabyte to finally go UEFI so maybe soon they too will have UEFI on all their later mobos.

This not to change your mind on what you want to do but here is a screen shot of my Sabertooh 990FX FX-8120 crunching on F@H :) with AOD.

AOD-FX8120.jpg

p.s. I did update the BIOS from 0901 to 1208 even though it booted right up 1st time with 0901.

as far as i can tell, all the motherboards need a bios update to run the fx.
I have an old ( Rgone, no laughing) 9150e i keep around for first boot and bios reflash.

All AM3+ motherboards support Bulldozer natively

But i have been hearing a lot of stories about Asus MOBOs shipping with the First release 0402 BIOS which does not support Bulldozer (note again its not the Motherboard but early BIOS)

My M5A97 was like that but then i did get it just before Bulldozer was released.

My Sabertooth shipped with the 1102 BIOS which was released on the 28 March 2012, we are currently on 1208, released 29 may 2012.

So far i'm very happy with my Sabertooth, i would be very interested if you had any issues with it other than the Win XP example?

All of the boards you buy today are BD ready, only if you bought one with 0705/before bios before FX launch do you need to worry.

Still need late bioses for Steam/Valve and BSOD fix

yes mate. I live in the Netherlands tho and all AM3+ boards coming out here are preflashed for Bulldozers.

I recently picked up the Asus m5a99x-evo here the little brother off ur Sabertooth and it has worked wonders. The sabertooth i had had some issues too.

It came preflashed for bulldozer. it actually had the newest bios.

I am told now they all support fx out of the box with no bios update.

of the non asus boards i have looked at the asrock extreme 4 looks best of the budget boards.

Last edited:
Back