• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Some Direction w/ Case Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ambush083

Registered
After searching the forums I found this:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1113293/fan-controller-with-software

I'm not really familiar with all the terminology in volts/speeds and am not capable of splicing wires confidently, etc. I didn't want to necro this old thread, but start a new one. I am new to the forums even though I may have made a post way back when.

My current build a few nights ago (Thermaltake Lanbox Lite) was out of desperation to move away from a beast of a computer / case (ABS Canyon 695) that was just too much. Downsize! I'm turning that into a server. The Thermaltake however comes with:

- Front :
90 mm fan with blue LED x 1, 1500 rpm
- Rear :
60 mm fan x 2, 1800 rpm (room for additional 60mm fan)

No more 140mm like before and the case is significantly smaller. I want to get the lowest temps possible on air. I think anything is better than the stock fans. I've seen some go up to 5000rpm or so. I was thinking to use a Fan Controller, but would rather have it automatically adjust according to temps and be able to override it myself in some cases. I see most are manual adjustments. I was thinking high rpm fans, but turn the speed down, but have the headroom of going high rpm later. So it will be quiet mostly, but as things get intense so do the fans.

Of course some items are irrelevant, but I just wanted to give you guys an idea. I'm not overclocking at the moment, but would like to "slightly" in the future. I hope I made sense guys I'm on night shift :screwy: hopefully you guys can have some grace. :(

System Specs

-Thermaltake LANBOX Lite Micro ATX
-OCZ 700W Modular Power Supply (90 Gold, Energy Efficient)
-OCZ Agility 3 240GB SATA III (SSD)
-Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm CPU Cooler
-ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
-Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost)
-G.SKILL 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1600mhz, Low Voltage
-Nvidia EVGA GTX 480 (stock)
-Sony Bluray DVD

First, youre not moving much air through your case and that will affect how well the cpu heatsink w/fan can cool off the cpu because they are at the mercy of how hot the air inside the case is.

Second, setting up 1 or multiple fans to run based upon cpu temp is easy (with a decent mainboard/BIOS)... All you need to do is get some PWM fans and a PWM splitter cable to connect to the 4-pin pwm cpu header on the mainboard with an auxillary molex connection for power for multiple fans. Then from the BIOS you can set up the fan profiles based upon cpu temp. You can find the pwm fan splitter wires at www.frozencpu.com

First, youre not moving much air through your case and that will affect how well the cpu heatsink w/fan can cool off the cpu because they are at the mercy of how hot the air inside the case is.

Second, setting up 1 or multiple fans to run based upon cpu temp is easy (with a decent mainboard/BIOS)... All you need to do is get some PWM fans and a PWM splitter cable to connect to the 4-pin pwm cpu header on the mainboard with an auxillary molex connection for power for multiple fans. Then from the BIOS you can set up the fan profiles based upon cpu temp. You can find the pwm fan splitter wires at www.frozencpu.com

Thanks this seems like my best bet. My GPU already does this based off temps, but recently its gotten way hotter than normal. Only thing I can do is throw it in the old box see if it does the same thing, then I know the GPU is not doing its job. Could be the newer version of EVGA Precision, etc. All basic troubleshooting stuff I can look at.

Next time its overheating open up the side of the case and blow a fan in there... if the cpu temp drops like a rock you need to improve the airflow in your case.

Next time its overheating open up the side of the case and blow a fan in there... if the cpu temp drops like a rock you need to improve the airflow in your case.

I don't know why I was on the CPU kick, if I am mainly concerned about my GPU. It used to idle at about 60c (I think) in the old case. Now it's idling at 84c. I know it's a new case and all, but dang.

Other thing I noticed is the EVGA software is not downclocking it on idle use, so this is probably where the issue lays. This is a ridiculous idle temp for no programs being used except background types. Maybe I'm wrong.

Any reccomendations for fans? Max RPMs, brand, etc. Some fans can be loud even when not running at full speed. So I guess I want something I can REV up when needed, but when the RPM the sound is how it should sound for low rpm, not still loud. I've seen 5k RPM fans. I'd imagine that should push a lot of air. If you compare what I have now, I'm sure just 3k would make a bit of difference.

Assuming this is the case you have, going from the info in your sig.
instmb.jpg

Then get another fan for the rear as you said you have space for it.
Also, it looks like you can fit a couple of intakes on the side nearest the red IDE cable in the picture above.
This will improve the amount air flowing through the case.

BUY ALL TEH FANZ!
FIT ALL TEH FANZ!

Addition:-
Depending on the direction of air flowing through the cpu cooler, think about modding the lid of the case directly above the cooler and.....
A few holes and another fan should help a fair bit.

BUY ALL TEH FANZ!
FIT ALL TEH FANZ!

Sounds good. Yeah I like the idea of mounting it right above the cooler. I'm definitely getting the additional fan that requires no modding. What if I got a fan that took up the whole lid, like a gigantic one. That would be cool too. Might cut your finger though. This pic you posted is crazy because in reality there is NO room once you do the full install. Like in the picture it doesn't show a power supply. I removed the HDD cage, but used the Opti bay to put my SSD in using a bracket.

rage-comic-become-a-fan-600x507.jpg

Don't waste your money on 92mm or 80mm fans. When they push adequate air they're noisy. The quiet ones move almost no air. A heatsink is no better than its airflow.

If you're going to cut holes in sheet metal, do yourself a favor and get a good quality nibbler, like this. I love mine. It nibbles cleanly. It can work along a straightedge. No messy metal dust to deal with.

If you're going to cut holes in sheet metal, do yourself a favor and get a good quality nibbler, like this. I love mine. It nibbles cleanly. It can work along a straightedge. No messy metal dust to deal with.

I saw a video on YouTube of some guy using an air pressured one to cut holes faster. I don't have any storage space for a compressor or whatever. The regular nibbler would be fine you think? I might do this myself.

I want the PNY Watercooled GTX 580. It looks like a gimmick, but based on every review they say it exceeds everyones expectations. But if everyone's expectations are low, then... I heard it got good temps. I know they have the one with a CPU block, but its a small rad for both I think.

C5bqh.jpg.png

Last edited:
"The water cooled card is sold through PNY for $579.99 while the air cooled edition is sold for $449.99. The extra $130 gets you a factory overclock in addition to the water cooling. Purchasing a full face water block for the GTX 580 starts at $97 and goes up from there. That leaves only $33 to buy the radiator, tubing and water pump if you go without the reservoir. From these numbers we can see that PNY brings some decent value here. Even though we are comparing a full block to a GPU only block we can still see the value here."

Source: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/08/cooling_gtx_580_pny_building/4

FYI I was for $580 on Amazon the one with the CPU block included, so.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1R44AHJ341X77W12ZVN9

I saw a video on YouTube of some guy using an air pressured one to cut holes faster. I don't have any storage space for a compressor or whatever. The regular nibbler would be fine you think? I might do this myself.

I've never heard of an air-operated nibbler. It makes sense, though. I bought the one in the link and I love it. A user on another board bought a less expensive one -- $13 -- and found it hurt his hand. I think $22.75 + shipping is well worth the money for such a quality tool. And it takes up little room.

I've never heard of an air-operated nibbler. It makes sense, though. I bought the one in the link and I love it. A user on another board bought a less expensive one -- $13 -- and found it hurt his hand. I think $22.75 + shipping is well worth the money for such a quality tool. And it takes up little room.

I may try this depending on what route I go. Me thinks I should hold out until the 680 comes out and get the PNY water cooled version if they make it. In mean time: Do the mods for the fans now and if noise is an issue lower the speeds as long as its cool enough.

I work in a bodyshop. We have an air-operated one, but it's a little too big for working on a computer case. :rofl:

This is our nibbler. It's used at a 45 degree angle from the panel you're cutting and as you can see in the pic, it's ~11 inches (~28cm) long WITHOUT the air hose attached. This can cut through thicker steel than what's on a computer case. :D

Attachments

• Photo-0344.jpg
    Photo-0344.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 265
I too am looking for some improved cooling for this case. My is the LanBox Lite with the plexi panels.
I have been running this for years with a C2D and an aftermarket CPU cooler with no real cooling issues, but I also recently upgraded to an I5-2500k, and if I max the usage (at stock timings, with stock cooler) it hits about 70C and sets off the MB temp alarm.

Ambush, are you liking that aftermarket cooler, and would you suggest it?
I have been considering trying to fit a Corsair Hydro Series cooler, with the fan/radiator mounted on the side like the fans you show in that picture, I just have not confirmed that it will fit yet... :p

I have also considered flipping the power supply so that it's 120mm fan can help vent the case.

I look forward to seeing how it goes with the fans... it looks like it should be pretty effective.

I too am looking for some improved cooling for this case. My is the LanBox Lite with the plexi panels.
I have been running this for years with a C2D and an aftermarket CPU cooler with no real cooling issues, but I also recently upgraded to an I5-2500k, and if I max the usage (at stock timings, with stock cooler) it hits about 70C and sets off the MB temp alarm.

Ambush, are you liking that aftermarket cooler, and would you suggest it?
I have been considering trying to fit a Corsair Hydro Series cooler, with the fan/radiator mounted on the side like the fans you show in that picture, I just have not confirmed that it will fit yet... :p

I have also considered flipping the power supply so that it's 120mm fan can help vent the case.

I look forward to seeing how it goes with the fans... it looks like it should be pretty effective.

I like the cpu cooling. The GPU is the worst. It's always at 90c or higher when gaming. Was not like this in my bigger case.

Back