• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some Help Plz Help Me Out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RavenX

Registered
ok am kinda new to this overcloaking buisness but am not new to computers. Anyway it seems i hit a roadblock and need some help to figure out the problem. I recently just built my computer, soyo-p4I dragon motherboard, pentium 4 2.2ghz, 512ddr ra, geforce 4 Ti 4600, sound blaster audigy, 3 hard drives, 3 drives one is a dvd-rw, Tuner card. Ohh yeah i have a Enermax Metal Case with 2 front side fans two on the sides and one on the back. Ok now that i said what i have heres my problem apparently when am playing games like medal of honor after about 15 minutes the comp just freezes and i have to restart it. Now i have that Pc Doctor thing and it tells me that my Cpu Core is at 42C and my system temp is 37C, usually when am playing mohaa the system temp reaches 40C. Ok but the wierd thing is in my bios the cpu core temp is at 48-49C so which one is correct. Ive also tried three different heatsinks and i get the same results i also put Artic Silver 3 on top of the core. Well besides that am having another problem windows does not wanna shut down, what i mean is that when i hit shut down it goes into the "shut down" mode with the little bar showing after a bit it disappears but my comp does not shutdown and i have to manually shut it down, what could be the problem. Ohh yeah i recently changed the fan on my Geforce for a Thermal take one. Anyway i just wanna know if there is something i did wrong coz i wanna start overcloaking my chip but i want to figure what is wrong first

I was thinking of upgrading the bios for my motherboard to the 1.4 could that have any help?

The not shutting down thing is probably a bios problem. When i updated my bios, suddenly i was having the same problem as you. Trust the bios readings you are getting, unless there are known reports of your motherboard giving bad readings. What psu are you using?

your temps seem fine. do you have any monitoring software to tell you the agp temp? maybe the heatsink isn't seated all the way or something. for the shutdown thing what version of windows are you running? after a while windows 98 seems to lose it's ability to self shutdown.

what do u mean by psu and agp?

As for the heatsink i have tried various times to make sure its seated the right way and it is. As for my operating system i have win2000 prof service pack 3. The problem is i haven't overcloaked the pentium 4 its normal and i kinda find it weird freezes after a while. I am considering updating the bios too see what happens. Am just trying to get this temp thing all sorted so that i can start overcloaking. I do have an idea and it is that my roomate just ordered his custom built computer and is almost running the same exact setup as me except he has a pentium 4 2.4ghz not much difference really, once i built his computer i wil check both the bios and software temp programs and if his is running alot lower than mine the i know theres something wrong with my pentium chip. Any other ideas to fix this problem?

I was just thinking, i have a 400watt power supply could that have any effect on the temp problem, maybe not enough wattage? I mean i am running 3hard drives,3 cd/dvd drives, floppy etc etc. Although my computer friend told me that with the setup i have am not running close to 400 watts...just my guess let me know... Thanks againn for responding guys

PSU = Power Supply Unit
AGP = Accelerated Graphics Port

As for updating the bios I wouldnt do that. I believe your registry may be at fault concerning the shutdown. When was the last time you did a fresh install of the OS (operating System) lol ? Before you start OCing you should format your HDD and start on a clean install of your OS. It will help tons. If your OS is not 100% stable (or as close to 100% as windows can get, hmmm maybe 45% hehehe) you will not reach good Overclocks.

As for the temps download MBM5 here to monitor your temps. You said you changed hsf (heatsink/fan) a couple times. Which ones have you used?

Well as for the heatsinks ive used the h/f that intel brings with the chip, ive used the thermal take p4-i dragon orb, and what am using now which is the Coolermaster socket 478 one..sry i don't have the model LOL. Anyway i went ahead and updated my bios and i got some new features and stuff but i still get the same problem, i did however resolve the windows problems it seems that when i installed my tuner card it messed up the registry in windows coz when i uninstalled the drivers for the tuner card windows restarted when i asked it too. As for Tismedt this is a new built computer so the operating system is quite new LOL. I am running 2000Prof like i said, only reason is beacause windows xp does not like my audigy sound card and i couldn't get the sound drivers installed, xp would replace the audigys drivers with its own, HOW WEIRD IS THAT?. Anyway i have read and some ppl seem to have installed the drivers just fine with xp. The version of Xp that i have was one of the first to come out, so tommorow am going to the library and borrow the latest version...since its the student version(am at college) i shouldn't have a problem.

Now onto another unresolved thing, which is the temperature. I have tried MM5 and Speedfan and i get that my cpu is running at 78C:eek: which can't be true. My system readings were fine in both its was at 34-38C. Anyway i have the Soyo monitoring temp running and it says my cpu is at 42C...but theres a problem in my bios i get that my cpu is running at 48C, which of these readings should i trust????. Let me know

I would think the bios reading is most accurate. Try changing the temp sensor in MBM and see if you cant find the correct sensor setting. There should be a dropdown menu listing sensor options. Sensor 1 should be set for your system temp and sensor 2 for your cpu temp.

Yeah i fiddled around with mm5 but no result, i'll try again again tommorow, as for the temp like u said if the bios one is the correct one then why is it running high i mean 48C in a stock 2.2 pentium is rather high?

Back