• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need suggestion for building a photo editing computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenshiro

My brother is looking to buy a new computer for photo editing. I was thinking it may be cheaper to build one instead and have the necessary type of components, instead of those bundled by the manufacturer. However, I have not been keeping up with the industry and I have no idea what is good/bad, or best bang for the buck.

Basically, the computer will only be use for photo editing (adobe photoshop and lightroom). There is no concern for gaming at all. Budget is less than USD$1000. The lower it is, the more comfortable he will be. Will definitely want to include an SSD as primary drive. Computer will be build from scratch which means budget will also have to include case and power supply. Please let me know what is the best setup. Wouldn't mind using AMD at all. Please advise. Thanks.

Yes, that will be correct. No overclocking. So, basically, no need for aftermarket cooling system, fans, and/or heatsink.

Yes, that will be correct. No overclocking. So, basically, no need for aftermarket cooling system, fans, and/or heatsink.

Well, the CPU/mobo wouldn't allow overclocking.

Check that link, a bit under budget, but it'll blow away Photoshop and/or Lightroom.

If he needs a monitor, push him to get an IPS.

Nice. Thank you very much. I do have one more question though. What is your opinion with and AMD setup?

Nice. Thank you very much. I do have one more question though. What is your opinion with and AMD setup?

I love AMD, but...
The new APUs won't keep up with the i5 for Photoshop, and the CPU lineup is a dead socket.
They're awesome for a lower budget, but the 1K limit says Intel.

This application will be better suited for Intel in general.
If it was more of a multi-tasking with 3D CAD system or something like that, I would consider an AMD FX 8-core.

I concur with this build. Gets you a decent CPU, decent SSD, only screws you over in the GPU department but that GPU should still do decent CUDA acceleration for you.

A strong GPU doesn't matter unless you're getting into the more intensive programs from Adobe.

The 750 is overkill for Photoshop/Lightroom.

That's a great suggestion. It looks like an updated version of my Lightroom PC. Although I have an aftermarket cooler (Hyper 212+) and a K processor, but it is running stock. I haven't had a need to increase the clock.
4670K, ASRock Z87 Extreme 4, 2x8GB Crucial PC3-1600, GTX 650, 240GB Intel 335 SSD, 1TB WD Black, Seasonic S12-650W

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mistersprinkles/saved/k8BTwP

I just put the same parts list through PCPartpicker. You can save $20 by building it yourself, and you'll have the satisfaction of having built it. You'll also have the actual physical Windows disc as opposed to the HD partition with the recovery data on it like most OEMs screw you with in today's computer marketplace.

Personally, I would change the motherboard to an ASUS Z97-A or a Gigabyte Z97UD3H and pick up a Hyper 212 cooler for $30 so you can overclock. That'll add about $60-70 to your cost. An SSD wouldn't hurt either.

Crucial M500 is a good budget SSD. I wouldn't go any lower end. If you want to spend a little bit more Samsung 840 EVO is a superior drive with a lower return/failure rate.

Also, just for future reference,it's a solid state disk, not a solid state hard drive. It has nothing to do with hard drives and is not a hard drive. :) :D

Having said all that, if this system is just for photo work, I think ATMinside's build would suit you better. It's only a few dollars more, and gets you an SSD. Also, you don't NEED a 750Ti for what you're doing. You should really consider building the system he suggested. It will suit and serve you well. If you want to bring his build down $35-40 swap the power supply for a Corsair CX430. However, his suggested PSU is significantly better quality.

Last edited:
On a contrary, it's not saving $20. It's saving $120. The one from newegg does not come with SSD. And yes, thanks for the correction....... SSD = Solid State Disk..... how the heck did I come up with SSHD........................ failed.........

Thanks for helping me to update the parts :D

I don't want to update your parts, I want you to build ATMinside's suggestion. It's optimal for you. No overclocking though. For that you'd want to swap the CPU to a 4670K (if you buy right now) or 4690K (If you buy in 2 weeks), and the MOBO to one of the two I suggested in my last post. And the Hyper212. Then you can overclock. IDK how much of a difference it will make to OC in your field of work since I have little experience with modern image editing on PC...

Yes, that will be correct. No overclocking.

I don't want to update your parts, I want you to build ATMinside's suggestion. It's optimal for you. No overclocking though. For that you'd want to swap the CPU to a 4670K (if you buy right now) or 4690K (If you buy in 2 weeks), and the MOBO to one of the two I suggested in my last post. And the Hyper212. Then you can overclock. IDK how much of a difference it will make to OC in your field of work since I have little experience with modern image editing on PC...

OCNoob, he mentioned no overclocking. This one needs to be stable more than getting every ounce of speed.

But I agree, the original build is going to be faster than what you linked Kenshiro.

hello, I need a little help troubleshooting.

Finally, i got the parts as recommended. I put everything together and the computer won't boot up. The power supply turned on, CPU fan spins a little, and then the whole rig just shut off. Then I noticed I had overlooked to connect the 8 pin 12V ATX connector. Read the manual and it's meant to supply the power to the CPU. So, I dug around all the power cables that came with the power supply. They did provide an 8 pin cable. On the side that has a solid one piece 8 pin connector, it says PSU. So I connected that part to the PSU. On the other side, it said PCI-E. This side is different. It does have 8 pins, but it's a 6 pin connector plus 2 pin connector. So, I tired to use this 6 by 2 onto the 8 pin female on the motherboard. It won't fit. The 6 pin will go in smoothly, because shape of the mating pins fit perfectly (square and trapezoid). The 2 pin however won't. Being that the motherboard user manual indicated that the shapes are intended to be foolproof, I proceeded to just connect the 6 pin and left the 2 pin alone. Clicked power switch on........ NOTHING.

So, I removed the 6 pin, and hit the power switch..... same as before. PSU turned on, CPU fan spun a little, and total shut down. What am I doing wrong here? Please help.

Errrrr........ nevermind.... please ignore. I'm so embarrassed. Found another cable... it's a 4 by 4 pin.... that worked :p

Back