• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Suggestions about reservoir placement in Corsair 800d

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrLarkins

I just recently snagged a second 680 Hydro. My plan is to run them in SLI. My motherboard's 2nd x16 slot is at the bottom, so I'll need to relocate my reservoir to another location. You guys have experience with the 800d. I'm open to suggestions.

My current setup:
IMAG0725.jpg
800d.jpg

You might take a look through the watercooling picture sticky. There a ton of those cases in there that might give you some ideas.

I would do something similar to this image below. Have the pump outlet go straight to the bottom GPU via 90 degree fitting.

9492d1268523643-corsair-obsidian-800d-img_1330.jpg

interesting route he has there. the lowest tube...where does it go? where is the fill port?

interesting route he has there. the lowest tube...where does it go? where is the fill port?

I wouldn't have done the route the builder chose in this build but the lowest tubing leaving the out of the DDC pump looks like to be heading behind the MB tray, up to a 90 degree fitting on the top rad. And the fill port would have been on top of that tube reservoir. Might be using a angled fitting me thinks.

I'm thinking of getting a different reservoir. Some kind of dual bay reservoir I can attach my pump to. I have 2 empty slots at the front for the room. I have a MCP-350 pump. Any good ones out there with a slow indicator or some cool factor?

http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-maelstrom51-4-dualbayreservoir-standalone.html
Any thoughts on the Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual Bay Reservoir. I like the look. Temp on front, pump mounted under it.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting a different reservoir. Some kind of dual bay reservoir I can attach my pump to. I have 2 empty slots at the front for the room. I have a MCP-350 pump. Any good ones out there with a slow indicator or some cool factor?

http://www.xoxide.com/swiftech-maelstrom51-4-dualbayreservoir-standalone.html
Any thoughts on the Maelstrom 5 1/4" Dual Bay Reservoir. I like the look. Temp on front, pump mounted under it.

Maelstorm is nice because it comes with in a built-in water temp and display but is a bad design when running the pump(s) at full speed as air will get sucked back into the loop and not good for the pump(s) either. If you fill it up to the tee, than you can run it at full load but eventually it will start sucking in air. I know this because I own a Maestrom 35X2.

The Monsoon Series Two, on the other hand is one of my favorite dual bay reservoirs in the market. Unfortunately they don't have a built-in temp + display and a dual pump design, otherwise I'd be all over it (lol) but anyone who has a DDC or D5 pump can grab one. Really like the fact it comes with 2 silver bullets for your biocide and built-in LEDs to change to the theme of your build.

Check this video out from Monsoon themselves. Pretty much explanatory if you're interested.

Maelstorm is nice because it comes with in a built-in water temp and display but is a bad design when running the pump(s) at full speed as air will get sucked back into the loop and not good for the pump(s) either. If you fill it up to the tee, than you can run it at full load but eventually it will start sucking in air. I know this because I own a Maestrom 35X2.

I'd like to read more about it's sucking in the air. Do you have a link I can read about it more?

I'd like to read more about it's sucking in the air. Do you have a link I can read about it more?

Most dual pump combos are way too powerful for many reservoirs - especially more so if the loop has very little restriction. The MCP35X2 is no exception to this and at full speed it can create some high flows even at relatively high restriction levels.

When coupled to a reservoir with not enough internal volume vortices can be created and with the added effect of turbulence it is quite easy to engulf a reservoirs capacity to provide a continuous flow of water to the pump's inlet.

Check out this video below of an example of where the MCP35X2 dual pump combo is just way too much for the res when run at full speed: While not showing the Malestrom res, you can see a MCP35X2 in action. First with just one pump and then at full power with both enabled - I like how the whole assembly is rocking at full power simply due to the turbulent flow. In this case water pouring into the res is creating bubbles which then simply end up at the pump's inlet. Not sure what the guy was trying to achieve in the video as most of the sound is not from the pump but from turbulence - looks like he had no idea...!

Note that it is relatively easy to dial back a MCP35X2 with PWM control as in the majority of cases there is no need to run the pumps at full speed.

Last edited:
Exactly and the Maestrom is a fairly shallow single bay where the water is held while the other half is where the DDC pumps are installed.

Here's an example of what I mean.

maelstrom.jpg

While the water is filled in the main part of the reservoir, the red arrows show where the water enters the inlet chamber where then the water levels drop as soon as you push the pump(s) to 100% power. If I recall, it starts happening around 75%+ but becomes more frequent the higher you go. I hate hearing my pumps scream as I have experienced it every time I bled and leaked the system.

On Swiftech's end, they even advertise this.....
Anti-vortex/anti-bubbles system
A tube surrounding the pump inlet features various size openings in its wall and prevents the formation of a vortex, and air entrainment in the loop
An open-cell sponge further traps micro-bubbles before their can re-enter the inlet
Source

Really stinks paying lots of funds for these toys and not even being able to go full boar, just for the heck of it. That's like buying a car and having the tires only support 40mph while the engine can handle 80mph while the company advertised that it can. lol

Last edited:
I did not realise how shallow the Malestrom is... Although it probably does not matter for 99.9% of the users as they would never need to run dual pumps at 100% throttle... :)

Not a huge fan of bay reservoirs myself as they can be a pain to bleed/fill as well as having them amplify any sort of pump noise(s) due to their box type construction and mounting. Some do look good though.

Although it probably does not matter for 99.9% of the users as they would never need to run dual pumps at 100% throttle... :)

Sure but during bleed and leak test its great to have them run at full speed and if you're going to advertise it, at least be more accurate, especially if you're selling the pumps and reservoir in a combo.

GTXJackBauer, Turned the Dual D5s down to 4 from 5. Quieter and no noticeable change in temps. When I had a MO RA3 420 Pro external rad I liked to keep the flow rate higher (had the Koolance QD4 quick releases that add a bit of resistance).

Since my new build has very little resistance, just 3 rads, 1 cpu block and 2 gpu blocks the reduced flow rate is quieter. Besides, my D5s are in series and Martinsliquidlabs.org did a great article on flow rate when running in series.

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna go ahead with the Maelstrom res. I just run a single MCP350 pump anyway. I'll take your advice and dial back the pump. It's very sexy and a bay res looks like my best solution.

GTXJackBauer, Turned the Dual D5s down to 4 from 5. Quieter and no noticeable change in temps. When I had a MO RA3 420 Pro external rad I liked to keep the flow rate higher (had the Koolance QD4 quick releases that add a bit of resistance).

Since my new build has very little resistance, just 3 rads, 1 cpu block and 2 gpu blocks the reduced flow rate is quieter. Besides, my D5s are in series and Martinsliquidlabs.org did a great article on flow rate when running in series.

Yeah, for your setup I would have it at a 3 or 4. As long they are in the 1.0-1.5 GPM range.

Back