• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need to cool a new pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bhere

Registered
recently built a new amd r3 1200 machine. followed a video on youtube how to overclock and passed all the test this video suggested. except one, the stress test (prime95). the temperature hit 80C very fast but two things i did now thinking should be changed. the oem processor fan i left the original thermal paste on it. that stuff didn't look like it would flatten out very well. the other more obvious thing is when i put it together used a cooler master haf 912 case and the only case fan i put in is one 120 fan in the side.

should i change the thermal paste?

as for the case fan my goal is to have a low maintenance no dust case. thinking about modding the side panel to install one or two 140mm fans blowing in, and attach a homemade filter then block off the lower half of front case. the case is kind of roomy and looks like plenty of air flow.

would i need a exhaust fan?

would appreciate any advice and if i may be looking at something wrong.

I would recommend upgrading the cooler to a Cooler Master 212x. This cooler comes with decent TIM for most overclocking needs. I'm not a big fan (pun intended) of OEM coolers although these most recent offerings by AMD are better than previous generation coolers.

The Cooler Master HAF 912 is a good case for airflow. IIRC in comes with 1 intake and 1 exhaust fan. I would add an additional intake up front. This will increase the amount of cool air entering the case and give you a slight positive pressure in the case which will also help reduce dust. You could add an exhaust fan or two at the top but this may not be necessary.

You want your airflow to move from front to back or front low to back/top high. Side fans are good for bringing air to a spot but not moving warmed air out of the case which will build up over time and compromise overall cooling. If you want to cut down on dust just make sure your "pushing" (aka, "intake") fan or fans in the front move more air than your "pulling" (aka "exhaust") fan or fans in the back. You may need to strike some compromise between quiet and cooling effectiveness. "Quiet" and "cool" are in some ways contradictory when the ultimate of both is sought.

case air flow.jpg

thank you.

have a 212evo from old machine, will probably wash it and install that.

the reason i don't want to put a intake fan in the front. thought about trying to attach a fan to the inside of the front grill then a filter outside. so i wouldn't need to take the case apart to clean it. the problem is the grill is not flat there is like woopy de doos in it.

wondering if i put two 140mm fans and filter in the side if that would provide adequate cooling.

You don't really have to take the case apart to clean it. Just take the side panel off and maybe the front panel. Most front panels have a finger hold cutout in the bottom and just give them a quick firm tug. They snap back on easily. But the easiest and fastest way to clean out dust is with an air compressor. Make sure you stop the fans from spinning so that the blast of compressed air doesn't spin them so fast it damages the bearings.

If you have only one fan in the case, it would be best used as a rear exhaust.

Back