• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neep opinions on WC a Asus P6T deluxe NB/SB chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stefmuzic

Hi guys,

New to the forum here. Also, new to WC. This is my first project. I bought the H20 220 Apex Ultima plus.

Computer is
i7 920
Asus P6T Deluxe
6 gig Corsiar Dominator
Geforce 260

I am not going to buy the full mosfet/nb sb plates for the loop. It is cost prohibitive for blocks i can only use on this motherboard.
So basically the way I see it I have 3 options.

1. Take the fins off of the NB and apply my MCW30 directly to the copper of the pre existing heat sinks

2. Put a fan on the fins and forego the WC on the chipset

3. Remove the whole fins/heatsink assembly, WC the NB and try and get enough Swiftech MC21 mosfet coolers to passively cool the SB and the other MB chips.

Either of the first 2 is preferable for me. If I can reach a stable 4ghz OC and my chipset be in no danger then I am happy regardless.

So..... What do you think? Which method is going to work better? Discuss away and if anyone has experience with this situation I would be very grateful for your knowledge.

Thanks,
Stefan

For 4Ghz I doubt you need to water cool the chipset, I am only cooling the cpu in my loop at the moment and I can easily surpass 4Ghz, and you will have a D0. So I guess fans would be efficient enough, as NB and SB blocks can be quite restrictive also.

Agreed, #2. You shouldn't need water on the chipset for that OC. You may not even need a fan if you have good case airflow. Install it, OC and reassess before adding anything.

One thing that will help a lot is to remove the HS assembly, apply good TIM and bolt the HS assembly down instead of using those ridiculous push-pins most manufacturers use. Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

I might as well third that. No need to WC the P6T chipset at 4GHz.
Try to get a fan blowing on that Heatsink. That should be sufficient enough for a 4ghz overclock, and beyond.

I'm running my P6T Deluxe V2 at 4.0 GHz 24/7 and I can tell you that water cooling this motherboard is a total waste of time. It just doesn't get anywhere near hot enough to need it. Just put the ASUS supplied MOSFET fan on the main MOSFET heat sink and another 40mm fan on the main motherboard heat sink as per the instructions in the motherboard manual and you'll be all set.

However, if you absolutely insist on doing it, you can remove the black heatsink cover (the fins) from the main motherboard heat sink to reveal a copper coated aluminum heat sink with suitable screw holes underneath. You can screw a water block to this heat sink. EK has some suitable adjustable water blocks for a real ghetto type solution. I asked CyberDruid (blocksmith at aol dot com) if he could make a custom water block for this and he said yes. Just needs the specifications. He does a lot of excellent quality custom work. Have no idea how much he would actually charge for making one though. If you go that route, please report back with your results.

Last edited:
Back