• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD FX-4100 computer won't turn on.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silico

Today I got my hands on a AMD FX-4100 cpu from Fry's. I replaced my Phenom II with and used the stock heat sink fan that came with it. After installing the CPU and the fan the system won't turn on. When I press the power button I get a moment of power to everything but then it all goes dark. Did I just get a bad unit or could I need more power?

MoBo: MSI 760GM-E51
CPU: AMD FX-4100
PSU: 650 Watt Coolmax
RAM: 2 x 2gb PC3 Patriot
Video Card: XFX HD-657X-ZHF2 Radeon HD 6570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16
HDD: 1tb Western Digital Caviar Green

That's just it, the FX chips are AM3+ and the MSI web site says your board is AM3, some AM3 boards will work with a bios update, others just wont.

Edit

Looks like MSI has a separate 760GM board with an FX designator that is AM3+ and compatible with the FX CPUs

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-E51--FX-.html

Last edited:
Sometimes the BIOS isn't updated when you buy a Mobo. You need to check if your mobo is AM3+, and if it has the updated BIOS for the FX series of chips.

Back