• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD motherboard under 150$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I run a Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h with a Phenom x3 740. It is a great mb and runs beautifully; better than my 890fx mb, also gigabyte. The reason is stability; very stable motherboard. Both are good but the 890gpa is just a hair more friendly/stable with ocing and memory settings. Go with the gigabyte, you won't be sorry. USB3.0 and 6Gbs Sata, crossfire, good stuff. Here's a shot of cpuz with that mb and cpu. This is with onboard video. On air.

cpuz_4202_x3.JPG

Last edited:
i would go for the BIOSTAR TA890FXE because it doesnt have onboard gpu. but gigabyte is a better made board.
usb 3.0 works 10 times faster then 2.0 but you must have the equivalent equipment like external 3.0 disk. the same goes to sata 6gb/s. must have a 6gb/s disk.

Have to say the Gigabyte 890gpa is a great board. You disable the onboard video but have it as backup. Here is a shot of the Gigabyte 890gpa running a 1055t @4050Mhz, 4x2gigs G.Skill Ripjaws @1600Mhz-8x8x8x20, 2x Gigabyte HD5770 crossfire. All slots filled, still able to oc to 4050Mhz and run benchmarks. The combination of 890gpa and Phenom II x3/740 has gotten me boints on HWBot.

cpuz4050a.jpg

I run a Gigabyte 890gpa-ud3h with a Phenom x3 740. It is a great mb and runs beautifully; better than my 890fx mb, also gigabyte. The reason is stability; very stable motherboard. Both are good but the 890gpa is just a hair more friendly/stable with ocing and memory settings. Go with the gigabyte, you won't be sorry. USB3.0 and 6Gbs Sata, crossfire, good stuff. Here's a shot of cpuz with that mb and cpu. This is with onboard video. On air.

View attachment 94277

Great to know. thats the CPU i have. does your cpu unlock in that mobo? i can get my cpu to go x4 in my asus. but not my Nforce. thats the main reason im looking for a new mobo

The Gigabyte 890gpa and 890fx both have core unlock/control. My X3/740 has a bad 4th core but the mb will unlock cores and control all cores individually or together. I run 3 Gigabyte mbs, along with an MSI and an Asus. The Gigabytes are the most stable, oc friendly of the bunch, IMO.

Ok sweet. i know my x3 unlocks because i have had it unlocked in my asus mobo. it just will not unlock in my nforce. ive always ran MSI and Asus but im looking for a new middle of the road mobo so i think im going to go with that gigabyte thanks for all the info. when i get the mobo i might pm you on some info about it and the x3 if thats cool

Good luck with it. PM is fine. I think the X3/740 is an awesome chip. Runs everything without a hitch. Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H with an X3/740 is good combo. With this mb/cpu I hold top spot on HWBot for X3/740 CPUZ on air.

yeah i love the x3 740 and i got it for 68$ on newegg. was upset that it unlocked in my older ddr2 mobo and not my ddr3 sli mobo so this gigabyte will keep me good for a while... i also heard a rumor it is am3+ with a bios flash? i ordered the mobo so should be here next week. thanks for all the info.

Frankly, my goto ram is G. Skill. I use the AData 2000Mhz to give me some leeway in ocing, but the G. Skill Ripjaws is really stable. I can time mine from 7-8-7-21-1t to 9-9-9-27-2t; 1366Mhz to 18XXMhz(with moar volts:eek:). That is the G. Skill Ripjaws DDR3 PC12800 1600Mhz. I have both CL8D and CL9D, both sets run perfectly. I haven't tried the G. Skill Ripjaws X. The AData is 2000Mhz and I have had it up to >2100Mhz with the Gigabyte boards, but it is more picky with timings and speed than the G. Skill. For grins here's the Gigabyte 890GPA /Phenom II X3/740 /G. Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz 8-8-8-20-1t; CPU at 4020Mhz stable on Prime1024M. My sig shows the X3/740 at 3800Mhz, unless I'm benching of course.

wprime1c.jpg

Last edited:
ok got the mobo. its freaking sweet. unlocked and overclocked right away in @ 3.7ghx x4 and i didnt have to do anything.

i also got the rev. 3.1 and it says AM3+

Do you know of a program that somehow gets the TDP from the motherboard's power system? If not, you have to ask yourself where that number comes from. Does a dual-core processor in a quad configuration actually use twice as much power? I'm not sure I can see how that's possible considering both dual-core and quad-core configurations have the same cpuNB including the 6 Mb of L3 cache. ;)

well the number came from a cpuz i saw a while back with the processor: phenom II x4 b55, and in the new cpuz in the tdp section it said 160W, i know it doesn't take the reading from the chip itself just what its supposed to be..

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/265443-11-tomshardware

there are people reporting 160/190W Tdps on their unlocks, the 190 being a C2 unlocked, must be very warm! but i would probably put them down to an incorrect cpuz database.

The TDP may come from the CPU, possibly burned in at the factory. If so, we already know CPU data is unreliable on an unlocked CPU - just look at what happens to the core temp ...

true, they go almost as crazy as my old x4 620 did, kept reporting -252 c in every programme, on the stock cooler!

Back