• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build advice needed, $1,300.00 budget w/o peripherals.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigdfootball89

Hey All!

Its been a while, but good to be back. I haven't really been keeping up with new hardware since 580's and Sandy Lakes, however i've been doing my due diligence within the past couple of weeks and below is what i've compiled thus far. I was also a bit under the influence last night when i purchased a 9600k for $200.00 lol. This morning im having second thoughts and thinking i shouldve gone Ryzen, so im more than willing to return if thats what the community suggests for this build.

Gonna be using this for the latest RPG's, MMO's, FPS's

I'm between the Asus prime Z390-P and the MSI Z390-A

Havent done much research on cpu coolers or SSD's, just picked one of the list mostly so lmk.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3nRCMc

Thanks to you all in advance!

A couple questions before I look at your picks,
What resolution do you game at and do you intend on upping thaT anytime soon?
Are you going to use this to fold on the CPU in the off-hours?

Nope I won’t be doing any folding on this rig. Just noticed I still had that badge lol I’ll figure out how to take it off later.

That’s another area of question for me. I’m leaning towards 1080 just because of the price. Probably make an upgrade on gpu and monitor at the one year mark

OK made a few changes to the list. Added an NVMe drive instead of the PCIe SSD, changed the PSU to an EVGA semi-modular to save a few bucks and squeezed in an RX 5700 XT very capable of 1440p if that's where you're going. Still under $1300. You may want to look at adding a storage drive. 500 GB doesn't go as far as it used to.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kczWK4

This is pulled from my review https://www.overclockers.com/radeon-rx-5700-xt-and-rx-5700-graphics-card-review/

View attachment 209147

I like it! Thanks Johan.

Any input on the ryzen vs i5 or the 2 MB’s I listed?

At that CPU price range you'd be looking at a 3600x. Similar performance to what you have but comes with a cooler.

Even though I have been using AMD for my main rigs for nearly a decade I would have to lean towards Intel. It does edge out the 3600x when it comes to gaming. Plus you've already got the 9600k on the way and it isn't a bad chip to have.

At that CPU price range you'd be looking at a 3600x. Similar performance to what you have but comes with a cooler.

Even though I have been using AMD for my main rigs for nearly a decade I would have to lean towards Intel. It does edge out the 3600x when it comes to gaming. Plus you've already got the 9600k on the way and it isn't a bad chip to have.

Thanks Stompah!

Anyone else have any input before I pull the trigger on this build?
Thoughts on the MSI vs Asus MB?

Any fan recommends?

Last edited:
So I’ve been reading online these pst couple days that the 5700 xt drivers are bad... anyone know if these have been solved? Doesn’t look like it from what I can see

So on the PC Partpicker website you list a RTX 2060 Super now. Did you scrap the 5700 XT already because of the driver issues?

So I’ve been reading online these pst couple days that the 5700 xt drivers are bad... anyone know if these have been solved? Doesn’t look like it from what I can see
Chances are you won't run into it.......... but that said, if you are looking for a more stable driver ecosystem, Nvidia is where it is at right now. A 2060 Super is a good choice.

Hey Guys,

So I’m all done with my build, pressed the start button, and no post.

Everything is alive, but I just noticed the gpu fans aren’t spinning at all. LEDS on the gpu are on however.

Anyone have any thoughts?

I went with the xfx 5700xt btw

IMG_5571.JPG

Last edited:
Would you please amend your Signature to reflect the new build.

I would certainly check all connections to make sure they are secure.
Make sure your video card is firmly seated in the PCIe socket and that the appropriate power leads from the PSU to the video card are connected.

Make sure your 8 pin 12v+ connector from the PSU to the motherboard is connected.

Make sure RAM sticks are firmly seated in the sockets and that you are using the correct sockets if all are not filled.

Try resetting the CMOS.

Remove the cooler and the CPU and check for bent pins on the CPU or the socket. Not sure if you decided to go with AMD or Intel. You were earlier contemplating both.

If all else fails, take the board and other components out of the case and set them up on a table top to eliminate the possibility of an electrical ground out. While it is out, check and make sure you have no extra motherboard standoffs screwed into the tray.

The GPU fans never spun up or did the spin and stop (that may be normal)? If they spun up and settled, did you plug your monitor into the video card or the ports on the motherboard? If the GPU, trents has you covered. :)

The fans on the bottom I would point so they blow into the case.

Would you please amend your Signature to reflect the new build.

I would certainly check all connections to make sure they are secure.
Make sure your video card is firmly seated in the PCIe socket and that the appropriate power leads from the PSU to the video card are connected.

Make sure your 8 pin 12v+ connector from the PSU to the motherboard is connected.

Make sure RAM sticks are firmly seated in the sockets and that you are using the correct sockets if all are not filled.

Try resetting the CMOS.

Remove the cooler and the CPU and check for bent pins on the CPU or the socket. Not sure if you decided to go with AMD or Intel. You were earlier contemplating both.

If all else fails, take the board and other components out of the case and set them up on a table top to eliminate the possibility of an electrical ground out. While it is out, check and make sure you have no extra motherboard standoffs screwed into the tray.

Thanks for that Reply Trents. Sig has been updated, sorry about that.

I’ve tried all that minus checking the CPU pins (I did check before setting it into the socket) and setting it up outside the case. I guess that’s tomorrow’s task🤷🏻‍♂️

Neo Qube
———————————-

CPU- Intel i5 9600kf
Mobo- Asus Z390-P
Gpu- XFX 5700xt
HDD- Samsung 970 EVO 500gb
Ram- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb
AIO- CoolerMaster ML360R
PSU- EVGA 600BQ

The GPU fans never spun up or did the spin and stop (that may be normal)? If they spun up and settled, did you plug your monitor into the video card or the ports on the motherboard? If the GPU, trents has you covered. :)

The fans on the bottom I would point so they blow into the case.

Hey ED,

GPU fans never spun up and the hdmi is coming from the monitor directly into my card.

As far as those fans on the bottom... I had originally installed them to suck air into the case, however the fan blades were scratching that bottom metal from the case.

Neo Qube
———————————-

CPU- Intel i5 9600kf
Mobo- Asus Z390-P
Gpu- XFX 5700xt
HDD- Samsung 970 EVO 500gb
Ram- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb
AIO- CoolerMaster ML360R
PSU- EVGA 600BQ

Your fans shouldn't be contacting the case. What brand are they? I suppose you could add some kind of spacer, but you really don't want exhaust there fighting the card like that. I suppose you could turn your side fans on the AIO to intake and move those to the top for exhaust.

Either way we don't really need to get into all that until you can boot the system. Are you sure all of the power cables are fully seated? Those can be funny sometimes. I'd also suggest removing the M.2 drive for now, until you can get to the POST screen

Do you have another video card to throw in there to see if that is it? (After all the reseating of course)

Edit: your signature isnt updated... you're adding it to the post. :)

Your fans shouldn't be contacting the case. What brand are they? I suppose you could add some kind of spacer, but you really don't want exhaust there fighting the card like that. I suppose you could turn your side fans on the AIO to intake and move those to the top for exhaust.

Either way we don't really need to get into all that until you can boot the system. Are you sure all of the power cables are fully seated? Those can be funny sometimes. I'd also suggest removing the M.2 drive for now, until you can get to the POST screen

They are corsair fans, i"ll give it another go but i'm 99% sure the scraping noise was coming from the fans scraping the bottom. The spacer should def work.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Do you have another video card to throw in there to see if that is it? (After all the reseating of course)

Edit: your signature isnt updated... you're adding it to the post. :)

Tried an old 980 thats in another system that works and nothing. Fans spun up on startup but then stopped on the 980.

Also, Got it now! sorry, was on my phone before and couldn't figure it out

Try each stick of RAM in each slot one stick at a time. Then check the socket for bent pins (actually, they are pads if your look closely). Then try the PSU in another know working system or try another working PSU in the current system. If none of those measures changes anything or reveals the problem, take the components out of the case and set them up. If that doesn't help, I'd RMA the motherboard.

Last edited:
Back