• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build, hi temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spacetoast31

Registered
This i a subject of interest for a lot of people with so many dofferent answers, im hoping that i can get some light shed on my situation

OK, so here's the deal... I bought myself a hefty amount of parts last week, finally got my new case, the next h440 (airflow is amazing). I'm running the 3570k at stock with a temporary cooler (CM n520) just until the rest of my water parts are purchased. I haven't gotten my ssd in yet so I'm not running an OS, just in bios. My question is, since this is my first higher end CPU in a while, since coming from my C2D. But my bios idle temp is between 46 and 50, and I just feel like that's kind of a little high for a bios temp.

Would you say this temp is an average for air cooling for the 3570, Yes or no? And this is all stock speeds...

yes, idle between 45-50 is a bit high, should be around 30°... but... maybe your room temp is + 35°C ??

However... as above.. check your mount/tim.

Interesting info: "idle" in BIOS will actually be "hotter" as when idling in an OS; because the OS will manage a slew of power saving features a lot better as the BIOS; resulting in lower "idle" temps.

That said... (idle/load) temps are near meaningless without reference Ambient Temp. :)

I reseated last night and got the same results, Id say, that 67°f is the rough avg of where the computer is. I'm going to try again tonight if no better results after my OS is on.

Last edited:
Your best bet is to download Hwmonitor, Cpu-Z and Prime 95. Open HWmonitor and then run Prime 95 blend for 20 minutes. If the temps go above 80-85 stop the test, then post a screen shot of HWmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and memory. It will give a look under the hood, so to speak.
How to attach pics
how to attach photos.PNG

ss.png

Here are my results, i think after the last reseat, and reapplication of the thermal paste, after the settle in period, it got a lot better.

BIOS idle is useless. Get it into the OS and run HWMonitor.

Most BIOS' seem to have some kind of load while in them so judging off of that is not a good idea, nor is any idle temperatures. It is the LOAD temperature that matters.

Depending on the bios and CPU/overclocking, the bios can be 10-20C+ hotter than idle in windows...

This was after 20 minutes on p95 blend test. Maxed around the 60s so i m not all that worried anymore. Now that I know I have some headway for some heat, its time to OC.

Back