• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build m5a97+fx-6100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snepper

Hi all,

forgive me if this is posted in the wrong area.

I will be receiving my new parts on 4-17 and just wondering if there is anything i should expect as far as hiccups.

i have the following coming

ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970

AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95WCOOLER MASTER Hyper 212

EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) pc3 17000 (2133)

ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit

APEVIA ATX-CB700W 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready

all going in a full tower case that i have had for 12yrs middle mounted psu.
updated airflow with 3 120mm fans

only hiccup I know may be a prob is Mb bios needing an update to use the fx-6100.

just looking for advise to keep install easy and possibly oc'ing options

if i left any info out just ask

haven't done a full build in a few years

thanks

Welcome aboard!

This section of the forum is as good as any for questions about an AMD complete system build and it probably gets more traffic than some of the other areas.

My only hesitation about your choice of components is the Apevia PSU. Apevia is not known for being a quality brand, though I have used several of them over the years on low end builds and had no real problem.

Your choice of CPU coolers (Hyper 212+ Evo) is not a bad one but it will limit your overclock with that 6 core FX CPU. The Noctua D14 would have been a better choice as far as air coolers go but I don't know if it was out side of your budget limitations.

Other than that, my only suggestion at this point would be to install all the case fans you have places for as good case ventilation will be important.

Get back to us if you have specific questions or when you get all your components.

I've pretty much the same setup as yours; same mobo, cpu and hyper 212. I typically do all of my big overclocks on the weekend when I'm home and can keep an eye on the PC. Typically I run it stock during the week, every other week or so I might let it ride @ 3.8ghz while I'm at work and it's doing my BOINC crunching.

Anyway, my best OC has been 4.4Ghz stable 2 hours prime. Ambient temps ~75F will net me core temps between 55-60C depending on what it's doing.

My weekend OC's @ 4.2Ghz, same ambient temps, will net me around 48-53C.

I'm glad to see somebody else with almost the same exact system as mine. I'm anxious to watch you OC to compare notes and see what you can get out of her.

Thanks for the quick responses.

yes i am on a fairly strict budget, cooler seemed like the best bang for the buck...i am some reservations about the power supply as well, however i spent 40bucks on it so if it doesn't hold up not the worst i could have done on my budget...aslo wondering if i should have gone with a amd gpu like the 6850 but....i have always used nvidia and was wary about switching. I basically use my pc as a hobby...i get to play games every now and then and just want to be able to run current games at decent fps and graphic settings. i ordered the 550 ahead and have been using it in my current system and it runs really chunky...i think do to my board being a pci e 1.0 board and a amd 2.1 dual core...4400 i think... so either way this is going to be a huge boost.

oh also is it worth overclocking if you can't get over 4Ghz since the turbo is 3.9?

Generally, when we overclock we disable the Turbo feature so that all the cores run at the highest speed, not just some of them as under the Turbo control. Turbo also tends to contribute to instability in higher overclock ranges or even limits overclocking because of built in restrictions.

Also keep in mind that it WILL turbo up to 3.9 but it will only do that on 3 cores at a time so it's not like all 6 will boost up to 3.9 simultaneously. With that being said, the over clocking we do, you can guarentee all of your cores will be running at whatever speed you OC to.

got everything yesterday as expected,

Got it all in the case, the 212 evo was a bit bigger then i expected barely fits the width of my case but air flow seems to be good, on first boot i has a cpu fan warning not sure why checked connections and tried again same thing I have a push pull set up on the 212 evo so i just switched the cpu and the cha fan 1 now both seem to run at intended speed

otherwise everything seems to work so far the board came with bios 901 so it had no trouble with the 6100 out of the box!

gonna have to install windows now current temps are 28c on cpu and 28c case temp

Back