• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freeze - FX-9590 on asus 990 fx r2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Like hell it is. The Sabertooth and CH boards are probably the ONLY boards I would put that CPU in.
Link to your proof please.

cant find a direct link, it wasnt asus anyways and I swear ive read material that support the claim, but amd recommended a quality 1000w psu and a custom loop that includes both cpu & the board. not actually saying the board cant handle it, just that extra steps need to be taken to control the beast. actively cooling the power section with good clean supply for one.

I was referring to cpu voltage. Did you check out that thread I posted? Lots of pics & good info in there. Even a link to an fx cpu oc in an under powered board using ubuntu. The sabertooth is an under powered board for the 9590 btw. when it was added to the support list asus stated extreme cooling would be needed to handle the power/heat. and if you plan on running 32 gigs of ram your gnna have to adjust voltage to cpu_nb..... which will add more heat on the core that you will have remove somehow. actively cooling the vrm and socket will help with the balancing act you have to perform. that'll also help with current & power draw stability.

Ok - did that - ran for 4 min 17 sec, killed by signal 9 - 45C.

//////////// As a refresher, settings are now:
Ai Overclock Tuner D.O.C.P.
CPU Ratio 20.5
cpu llc Ultra High
cpu current capability 120%
cpu & NB voltage Manual Mode
cpu manual voltage 1.4 v - (idles at 1.392v)
cpu/NB manual voltage 1.25
DRAM voltage 1.55 v
All else are default values.

Yes, I checked the thread and link. For only a 2 page thread it is packed with information.

You're still trying to figure this thing out? I'm so horribly sorry this rig is such a pain in the butt.

So here's the P-states from my FX-9590 (for reference, your's may be slightly different.)

# of P-States 7
P-State FID 0x22 - VID 0x02 - IDD 18 (25.00x - 1.525 V)
P-State FID 0x1F - VID 0x02 - IDD 18 (23.50x - 1.525 V)
P-State FID 0x1D - VID 0x02 - IDD 18 (22.50x - 1.525 V)
P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x0B - IDD 14 (20.00x - 1.412 V)
P-State FID 0x12 - VID 0x15 - IDD 11 (17.00x - 1.287 V)
P-State FID 0x8 - VID 0x25 - IDD 7 (12.00x - 1.087 V)
P-State FID 0x10C - VID 0x35 - IDD 4 (7.00x - 0.887 V)

As you can see at 20x multiplier requires only 1.4120v. Which compared to FX-8xxx series chips is actually kinda high. So any reference to FX-8xxx series chips is not really going to help you voltage leaky processor.

Take note the P-state voltage at only 22.5x. It's 1.5250v!!!! Man that's up there huh???!!!! Well it is. Way higher than most FX-8xxx series processors even at their max turbo p-state required voltage.

Any how, here's a read for you. It's a write up and some experience with FX-9590. I wrote it. You can choose to ignore it too, I don't mind really. Other 9590 owners/readers will at least be able to read it from here.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/758169-Formula-z-and-FX-9590-Hangs-and-Freezing

So in short, the thread simply states, low temps and high voltage. It won't run hot and it won't run with under-volt from recommended P-state voltage (In most cases)

EDIT: read the 2nd to last post on page three of that thread above....

Hope it helps, Have a great day!!!

Last edited:
I think I'm getting close to figuring it out, and with some insightful experienced opinion, I might have it. Here is my evaluation - What do you think:

1. My FX 9590 cpu is probably no different than any other FX 9590 shipped by AMD. Very touchy heat sensitive power hog, but they all are.
2. My 990fx mother board is probably no different than any other 990fx shipped by ASUS. It seems solid and should serve my purpose well.
3. The A Power series 750 PSU is likely inadequate as the current draw of the cpu may (seems to) result in a voltage drop that the machine can not tolerate.
4. The Corsair 120 mm dual fan (push/pull) liquid cooling system may not be adequate if the power supply would push the volts/amps needed for the machine.
5. The memory? Four sticks Komputer Bay 8192 non ECC unbuffered. Chips labelled 512x8DDR3 HL 1336. Internet reviews are mixed but the chance of a miss matched set seems to be as good as the chances for a good set.

What I have done today is pull two of the memory sticks and restarted my test job. The unfortunate fact is that with the machine configured this way, the test job will run for over 12 hours, and it is only a test. The real work is yet to come.

I'd go buy a known good PSU for ~$60 and just keep the other one around for when the computer isn't in your use any longer.

I think you're spot on with points 3,4 and 5. The PSU , ram are just Cheap crap and the cooler isn't adequate. Maybe get in touch with your benefactor and the PC store and see about swapping some parts. That's where I would start. Some decent G.skill ram and a reputable PSU would likely at minimum allow you to run at 4.5G

I think you're spot on with points 3,4 and 5. The PSU , ram are just Cheap crap and the cooler isn't adequate. Maybe get in touch with your benefactor and the PC store and see about swapping some parts. That's where I would start. Some decent G.skill ram and a reputable PSU would likely at minimum allow you to run at 4.5G

Under other circumstances I might try sending some of the components back, but in this case my benefactor is on a budget too, and it's not like she didn't try. The whole machine was beyond my budget. Perhaps she spent less than I would have but also, perhaps I can see about bringing it up to snuff without breaking the bank by obtaining parts that will be still usable should I ever need to pull them. (Thanks to ATMINSIDE for that idea.) In any case if I do that I'm thinking I should start with 4 good memory sticks, 4GB each, a matched set. Start with memory because I know memory is an immediate problem from trying to clock the machine. Without good memory it won't run at speed. How am I assured of getting a matched set of 4 sticks?

Under other circumstances I might try sending some of the components back, but in this case my benefactor is on a budget too, and it's not like she didn't try. The whole machine was beyond my budget. Perhaps she spent less than I would have but also, perhaps I can see about bringing it up to snuff without breaking the bank by obtaining parts that will be still usable should I ever need to pull them. (Thanks to ATMINSIDE for that idea.) In any case if I do that I'm thinking I should start with 4 good memory sticks, 4GB each, a matched set. Start with memory because I know memory is an immediate problem from trying to clock the machine. Without good memory it won't run at speed. How am I assured of getting a matched set of 4 sticks?

It's funny when you say budget but have a 200+ dollar processor. That's twice the price of two low end FX-83xx series chips. Which btw will do the same job as the 9590, just at a slightly slower pace in some cases. The memory controller is the same on them all. However the heat output of the 8300 series is far less.

Then you might make do with the current PSU (longevity is what you hope for) and it will handle the 125w much easier than the 220w.

The memory, I'd say go with Two Big sticks vs 4 smaller ones. It's going to be dual channel either way, performance should be negligible. 933mhz or faster. Cas 9.

trading the CPU should put money back in your pocket. You'd be gaining by down grading the cpu. FX-8300 at newegg.com us is 105$. FX-8320 at Micro Center (store pickup only) is 89$. Sell the FX-9590 even used on ebay should gain some good coin in the pocket!! Probably easily get 160 -180 for it.

ShrimpBrime - Please refrain from counselling me sell my sponsor's hardware. That would be unethical of me, perhaps criminal and certainly contrary to the OP.

To all - We could have all saved a lot of time had someone told me to RTFM. I mean, study it. Page 27 recommends that with two sticks, use slots A2 and B2 and it shows a graphic. It recommends, it doesn't say it must be done this way to get the speed we all want, but that seems to be the case. I ran the math test job yesterday with memory in slots A1 and A2, It completed in just over 12 hours. Today I ran the same test job after having moved one stick from A1 to B2 and it completed in just under 7 hours. The only previous runs that had a stick in slot B2 were with all 4 slots filled and those were the only runs that hinted at speed.

With 2 sticks, the temperature topped out at 51C, then I turned on the room A/C and it promptly dropped and stabilized at 49C. In other words, I believe this thread has answered the question posed in the OP.

Thanks to all for all the help.

Steve

I guess we just assumed that you had tried it in dual channel when you had used two sticks. You were also quite intent on using four. That's why I made that comment when you mentioned the difference in time previously.

I guess we just assumed that you had tried it in dual channel when you had used two sticks. You were also quite intent on using four. That's why I made that comment when you mentioned the difference in time previously.

Yes, I still would like 32GB of memory but I have learned from this exercise and forum that that won't happen with my current machine configuration. So dropping to 2 slots forced me to learn what you had assumed I knew all along. And of course with 32GB, the configuration was in dual channel, that was the speed advantage that I was chasing.

I may come back with more questions, but it will be a new thread. In particular, this machine does not run the job as fast as we had hoped so I may look for something faster. The multiple cores running via mpi does not help nearly as much as does raw speed.

You're going about troubleshooting this problem all wrong. Do you have more than one AMD FX machine? I bought a computer with an Asus Sabertooth 990FX r2.0 about 5 months ago. I've had nothing but trouble, this is my first Asus motherboard, after hearing so much about them not sure I'd buy another. The problem IS the motherboard. There are thousands of posts on the internet about this combo freezing, with lots of solutions. Mine freezes and I have a very basic system running stock 9590 speeds. I've followed many forums and tried the simplest things and it still freezes aperiodically.

The best and easiest way to troubleshoot is to set your BIOS to defaults, and run it first. Make sure your memory is configured properly. IF it still freezes one guy suggested turning off turbo core, which I did, still froze. Then I tried messing with lots of voltage settings according to many posts. Still froze. I also ran my memory at a lower setting, still froze. Thing is I originally had the same 9590 chig in an Asrock Extreme 9 motherboard and ti worked fine. I bought a new system with the ASus and an 8350 with better graphics, more memory, bigger power supply. Don't believe everyone when they say you need a huge power supply, you can find lots of info that contradicts that especially if you don't overclock. It depends heavily on your graphics cards and memory. I have 16 gb, two 8 gigs sticks, in each system. I finally swapped CPUs and put the 9590 in the Ascrock system, and put the 8350 in the Asus system. Also, I have liquid coolers in both systems, nothing fancy, both are two fan small radiator systems but neither system every gets real hot. Both systems have Radeon R9 2X0, one 280 one has 270, graphics cards, but different models/manufacturers. One system, the good one with Asus board, has 1200 watt Antec PSU. The other has a 750 watt 80 bronze certified PS by thermaltake, I think? The Asrock (750w) system has two SSDs, the other 1 SSD, 1 HDD. So with basic bios default settings the ASRock with 9590 is always stable, no problem. The Asus is stable with the 8350, but NOT the 9590 no matter what I've tried.

I know others online who've also confirmed their Asus MB works fine with other FX CPUs. I've seen some get stable eventually with lots of tweaking of Voltages and/or turning off turbo core and/or adding cooling, etc. I can tell you that there are many that can't ever get the Asus / 9590 combo to work. It IS the motherboard, maybe it is just some MBs? In my experience, almost everyone who's put the 9590 into a different motherboard has had success.

If you have an extra computer, or extra parts, easiest thing to do is use known low performance MB settings and then start swapping parts until freezing goes away. However, from what I've seen it is the MB if you know everthing else is good. As a matter of fact I'm using my ASRock / 9590 computer right now, WITH the 750 W psu. No problems. I should note that my Asus system would freeze completely randomly, even when using very little load and low temps. It could also run high load / high temps and freeze randomly. Also, I have 4 AMD FX desktop systems, and 3 more desktops in our household. (I have 3 kids plus 2 media PCs). All our homebuilt and all very stable. The other AMD FX systems are solid, we leave them all on 24/7, usually in sleep mode when not using except for one which is the backup server. I typically don't overclock but I do some, but very conservatively and don't have problems. All but one of my FX systems are liquid cooled, as were two that I sold. One of my media PCs has a 6350 and it does run a little hot with no liquid cooling, but it is a really small case with only 3 fans but still runs solid. YMMV

To counter your post.
I blew up 2 Asrock Extreme9's. I would never recommend another.
9590 runs perfectly fine in my Sabertooth, as does every other FX.
Sometimes it's not the vehicles fault as much as the operator's. ;)

Then explain the thousands of posts on Asus Sabertooths freezing with 9590s? If you have advice on getting it stable, at stock speeds, then please share your wisdom. Fact is my Asrock was plug n' play after using a different CPU, Asus was and still isn't. I just want to use the computer, not mess with it for weeks/months. It is that simple. If we were talking overclocking then I'd agree with you, but running stock is not the operator. I admit, it could be something else in the setup that just can't handle the 9590, but very doubtful as when I purchased the system it ran fine with the 8350 even overclocked. The Asrock works with both fine, easy setup, even works fine with 8350 overclocked. I have heard the horror stories about the Asrock, I just haven't experienced any. Maybe I've got a bad sample from ASus and a good one from Asrock?

To counter your post.
I blew up 2 Asrock Extreme9's. I would never recommend another.
9590 runs perfectly fine in my Sabertooth, as does every other FX.
Sometimes it's not the vehicles fault as much as the operator's. ;)

In this case I think it was the operators fault. The system may be too weak for maximum performance, but it has been working fine running at good speed with no significant heating problems since I removed 16 GB of memory and installed the remaining 16 GB in the correct slots. By working fine, I mean, no more over heating and no more freezes - no troubles - and it will be some time if ever before my actual need for memory exceeds the 16 GB installed.

The ASUS documentation does indicate that 32 GB is a heavy load for this board and suggests the correct memory slots to use. Would have saved me a lot of grief if instead of suggesting, the manual would have said something like, "Use memory slots in this order."

Steve

Edit Add: The correct memory slots on the ASUS MB are slots 1 & 2 nearest the CPU.

Last edited:
I may try that, I don't think my memory is in slots 1 and 2. I thought for dual channel, at least on my other Mobos, you had to use 1 and 3 or 2 and 4? That is the correct configuration on my GigaByte MBs.

Then explain the thousands of posts on Asus Sabertooths freezing with 9590s? If you have advice on getting it stable, at stock speeds, then please share your wisdom. Fact is my Asrock was plug n' play after using a different CPU, Asus was and still isn't. I just want to use the computer, not mess with it for weeks/months. It is that simple. If we were talking overclocking then I'd agree with you, but running stock is not the operator. I admit, it could be something else in the setup that just can't handle the 9590, but very doubtful as when I purchased the system it ran fine with the 8350 even overclocked. The Asrock works with both fine, easy setup, even works fine with 8350 overclocked. I have heard the horror stories about the Asrock, I just haven't experienced any. Maybe I've got a bad sample from ASus and a good one from Asrock?
There are many threads here about getting a 9590 stable already. Search works great. I have nothing to add to the threads already here. They cover everything.
I'll be a little more clear on the Extreme9's now. They both smoked the VRM sections while running a FX 8320, not even a 9590. Their hybrid analog/digital VRM setup isn't stout enough for 8 core FX's with a decent overclock. Stock is probably fine for a 140w or less FX, but that isn't why you buy a 'high end overclocker's' board now is it. The 9590 is a 220w monster @ stock so.....
The Sabertooth runs my 9590 24/7 @ 5 gig and has seen overclocks in excess of 5.5 gig. The Asrock board doesn't even compare. Asus is the leader in the 990FX boards par none.

Last edited:
I was correct about the memory, you don't put in slots 1 and 2, as in every other MB I've seen in the last 7 years. You put one in A channel and one in B channel. See image from manual below. I thought this was obvious, based on every doc I've seen.

Asus Sabertooh memory config.JPG

Back