• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freeze - FX-9590 on asus 990 fx r2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@ShrimpBrime - If you will re-read the OP, you may understand why I ignore suggestions involving different hardware. I do not have other hardware and this machine does not properly belong to me so I won't buy components to have installed. I don't have the experience to go far beyond plugging in memory myself, it's not my machine so I won't pay for new components, pay to have them installed, then ship the machine to it's rightful owner.

That said, I value your input as data that I may find useful should I ever approach the task of building my own machine.
Steve

good you got it up and running Steve. That's a relief. Ha ha. As for monitoring in ubuntu I have no idea what software to use.

We have an Alternate OS sub forum here. You may want to check that out or ask what kind of monitoring software is available

what I have to do is install windows, use that till I get the rig clocked and stable, save the settings as a profile in the bios, then I install Linux, done.
glad you got it salvaged.

@ShrimpBrime - If you will re-read the OP, you may understand why I ignore suggestions involving different hardware. I do not have other hardware and this machine does not properly belong to me so I won't buy components to have installed. I don't have the experience to go far beyond plugging in memory myself, it's not my machine so I won't pay for new components, pay to have them installed, then ship the machine to it's rightful owner.

That said, I value your input as data that I may find useful should I ever approach the task of building my own machine.
Steve

It's quite understandable. However I gave advice to stabilize the machine before you had to do all that bios flashing which may or may not have been an issue in the first place.

So to help save you some time and aggravation, I was hoping to see some P-states and get you a stable running machine. Only because I am familiar with your motherboard and processor configuration. I should state Very familiar.

It ran at what looks like 43C cpu. Killed the job, shutdown, reinstalled all 32GB of memory and rebooted.

That is where I am now. I am somewhat concerned that the temperatures as I have them displayed may be for the wrong devices

A few screen shots says more than a thousand words. Personally I would imagine that 43c CPU under a full load would be a very low number considering the cooler in use. But then your software may not FULLY load the cpu cache like Prime95 or Intel Burn Test AVX edition. I do know from experience that Cpu gets too hot, it simply will not post. (heat soaked water loop)

Also, we touched on having a good power supply. If it can't handle the load, it may shut off. Again, this is just a possibility, we just want to be sure you have a good long lasting experience with your half good and half questionable hardware. BTW 15 minutes is a short test. Most here recommend 2 hours....

Part of asking questions may bring you a lot of answers, even if those answers are not exactly what you are looking for.

So after reading the entire thread multiple times, I am surprised any good advice would be ignored. The FX-9590 is not for the average every day user. You are not the first nor the last to come here and all the other forums with the EXACT SAME problem every one else runs into (mainly non overclockers). Just because it's the fastest FX chip, does not mean it can be blindly handled.

Last edited:
@ ShrimpBrime - CPU-z . I should have emphasized that I run Ubuntu, a Linux OS and CPU-z looks like a Windows code to me. I'm sure it is great but wrong OS.

@ DNRDustin - Don't I probably want the 64 bit version? - I'm looking at Prime 95, that is the code you are referring to, isn't it?

Last edited:
Ok - I have looked at that program, Prime 95, and I must ask, "Why?" I don't need prime numbers and I don't need to over stress my machine. It's already over stressed. My math code over stresses it, and the Ubuntu supplied code, "stress" over stresses it. Maybe later, once these codes think the machine is running properly I could profit from running prime, but at this point I see no gain from using it.

I think I need to go back to and continue to under clock it. I think I should target the FX 8350 cpu at 4.0 GHz. Isn't that the basic die the fx9590 was cast from? If I clock it at the factory settings of the FX8350 it should be stable, whatever those settings are. Maybe if that profile is stable I can up clock it a little from there but this is all very time consuming and I need to be running. Could someone provide settings that approximate the FX8350?

Steve

I've never used it for monitoring but I'm assuming there's a tab or something that lets you monitor your system judging by DNRs post. Temps are very important for the FX CPUs. I thought you were pretty close at 4.5 but..... try dropping the multi to 4.4 and use the same setting you had for 4.5

I did that - This time it ran for about 4 minutes then rebooted itself. shut down re-start.

Second try, Ran for about 4 minutes again, then the terminal terminated.

I think I might just set the multi to 20, just to see what happens.

Well, that didn't work. Only took 12.5 seconds after set-up, 1 min 34 sec total to seg fault 11, signal code 128 at address nil.

I guess I'll wait for some more expert advice. I note that max temperatures were 47C, 33C, V-card 34C and SSDD 27C. temp3 at -128C isn't being read. Oh, something unknown read 40C, and has dropped to 4C but it bounces around hitting 12C intermittently - mostly reads 4C though.

Last edited:
thats gotta be a power draw issue. Youre either pulling more than your board or psu can handle, or temps raise so fast it crashes before you can get a reading. try 20.5 multi @ 1.4v and see what you can do from there. I dont think you can clock it "like its and 8350", theres more to it than that. shrimp is the best for q&a about that. i think my 8350 hit 4ghz @ 1.38v under load. you may also benefit from the info over here http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...350-SaberTooth-24-7-Extreme-OC-All-The-Things

20.5 multi I understand. what 1.4 volts?
cpu voltage now=1.45 v, cpu_NB voltage now =1.25V, Mem volts = 1.55 volts
Not to comfortable with big jump on cpu_NB after my last experience tweaking it.

Oh, and the temperature is well behaved. Goes up fast the first several seconds after kicking off the job but levels out well before the 4 minute runs bomb.

And I got this via email from a systems administrator friend of mine when I asked him why the machine wanted to run 40% faster with 4 memory stix over the speed with 3 memory stix.

"What you've run into is the performance benefit of something called node interleaving. Basically if you have your memory in a supported configuration and have the feature enabled in the bios (usually it is, by default) the cpu can optimize memory access to significantly improve memory performance. The only down side to it I've heard of (but not seen) is that if some of your memory is maybe a little sketchy, it can cause instability. "

I guess I could test that if I can figure out how to disable node interleaving in the bios. If I can disable it and the machine stabilizes that will definitely point us in a direction.

I would try pulling two sticks. Hae you ever monitored the software to see if it actually uses more than 16GBs

I already know that it runs stably with two sticks, and no, the test jobs only use about 4GB according to "top." But with 2 sticks I don't see the speed that is hinted at with 4 sticks. I wonder if the FX 9590 and/or the asus 990fx will run using 4GB sticks? Four 4GB sticks are a lot less costly than four 8GB sticks.

my own 8350 does not like lots of ram.
what I have settled on is 4x4 gigs, I can run 2x8 gigs but 4x8 is a no no for this one.
just go 4x4 gigs at default speed and tighten the timings some and get the cpu/nb as close to 2600 as you can get it on 1.25 volts, I set mine to 1.35.

I was referring to cpu voltage. Did you check out that thread I posted? Lots of pics & good info in there. Even a link to an fx cpu oc in an under powered board using ubuntu. The sabertooth is an under powered board for the 9590 btw. when it was added to the support list asus stated extreme cooling would be needed to handle the power/heat. and if you plan on running 32 gigs of ram your gnna have to adjust voltage to cpu_nb..... which will add more heat on the core that you will have remove somehow. actively cooling the vrm and socket will help with the balancing act you have to perform. that'll also help with current & power draw stability.

The sabertooth is an under powered board for the 9590 btw. when it was added to the support list asus stated extreme cooling would be needed to handle the power/heat.

Like hell it is. The Sabertooth and CH boards are probably the ONLY boards I would put that CPU in.
Link to your proof please.

Back