• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Freeze - FX-9590 on asus 990 fx r2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@Johan45 - I did as you suggested, seemingly successfully. It ran the stress job for 10 minutes and my math test job for 16 minutes before freezing. I really don't think that is telling, but maybe you are on the right track?

Then bump the CPU/NB up from 1.25 to 1.75 if what Johan45 suggested made an improvement. Maybe you just need more juice to that component.

@Johan45 - I followed your instructions, I think correctly. Stress ran for 10 minutes and the math test ran for 16 minutes before freezing. That might be better. It did still run at speed.
Steve

@trents - I followed your advice, too but that didn't work so well. Now the machine will not boot. The monitor stays off line and I see no indication that the computer wants to run. Well, not so - The Mem-OK key goes through the memory test of the 4 sticks with some flashy LEDs, including the cpu LED, and the Direct key will start the machine but it doesn't go anywhere.

Maybe I should say "It will not post," I don't know the difference between booting and posting.

Last edited:
I think Trents intended to type 1.275v not 1.75.
You'll likely have to reset the CMOS on that board. There should be instructions in your manual. I have to go

Yep, I mistyped. Sorry About that. I did mean to type 1.275. Just reset the CMOS as Johan45 said and then restore the custom settings. Jumper for resetting is usually near the flat round battery on the motherboard. You can also take the battery out for 20 minutes or so and that will accomplish a reset. Make sure you are powered down and unplugged before resetting and then put the jumper or the battery back in default position before restoring power.

Well trents and Johan45 - I'm afraid I might have broken something. What could it be? I tried using the MemOK switch, shifting the dip switch - no go. This morning I removed the cmos battery and left it out while we went shopping. It was 4 hours before I got back and re-installed the battery. No difference.

I power on, 3 leds blink momentary, the monitor displays "No Signal" which is normal, then the monitor light indicates power off. Nothing further is visable.

to rest the cmos you have to unplug the psu, remove the battery, and move the jumper.
I have had a few bjorks that I had to let it sit overnight.

To reinforce what CD said, if you read my post I gave instructions about not doing a cmos reset until you have removed all power. If this instruction was not followed there is a good chance you fried the bios.

Here is the CMOS reset jumper, if you have the R2 GEN3, it's in the same place as the R2.

sabertooth-990fx-r2-overview1.jpg

@ trents - I read your post, and yes, I did remove power, or at least I UN-plugged the power supply and move the jumper. I did not unplug the hdmi cable from the graphics card to the monitor. I hope that wasn't necessary.

Right now the machine is sitting with all external connections Un-plugged, the jumper moved and the battery removed. I intend to leave it that way until morning. Then I'll try it again.

If that works, excellent, if not - I don't know, but I have been reading the manual about using the usb bios flashback button and usb memory stix. That seems designed for my problem, except it is very difficult - if not impossible - for me to find a source for the Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 bios. I can find 990fx GEN3 r2.0 but that does not look to me like the right bios. What do you think? I mean, if it were the same, then it seems logical that it would have the same name. and GEN3 is a different name.

Steve

Thanks - yes I have that image and have located the jumper. No, I do not have Gen3, gen3 bios is easy to find, but the plain 990fx r2.0 bios is not.

Last edited:
@ trents - I read your post, and yes, I did remove power, or at least I UN-plugged the power supply and move the jumper. I did not unplug the hdmi cable from the graphics card to the monitor. I hope that wasn't necessary.

Right now the machine is sitting with all external connections Un-plugged, the jumper moved and the battery removed. I intend to leave it that way until morning. Then I'll try it again.

If that works, excellent, if not - I don't know, but I have been reading the manual about using the usb bios flashback button and usb memory stix. That seems designed for my problem, except it is very difficult - if not impossible - for me to find a source for the Sabertooth 990fx r2.0 bios. I can find 990fx GEN3 r2.0 but that does not look to me like the right bios. What do you think? I mean, if it were the same, then it seems logical that it would have the same name. and GEN3 is a different name.

Steve

Thanks - yes I have that image and have located the jumper. No, I do not have Gen3, gen3 bios is easy to find, but the plain 990fx r2.0 bios is not.

OK here's a link to the latest 2501 BIOS for that board http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...-2501.zip?_ga=1.91878547.841627888.1468154455

Have a thumb drive formatted to FAT32. Rename the BIOS file to ST990R20.CAP. The PC should be plugged in with the power switch on. Put the USB drive in the appropriate USB slot at the bottom under the LAN cable and hold the flash back button until a light starts to flash . This will flash for a while. When it stops with luck you should be able to restart the PC. Just let the PC go for a bit. Sometimes it takes a bit to update things before it starts.

It takes out the memory controller. I'd try and post this with just one stick of memory.

If the board is cycling through pre-post memory and cpu test and stops at cpu..... try a different processor to diagnose the motherboard.

He won't have any of those parts IIRC. Yes I think that did happen. I'm hoping it just scrambled the BIOS chip. BUT.............

It will probably not even flash.
OP- RMA that processor right now, and don't volunteer extra information.

Ok - The machine has been disconnected from everything over night with the battery removed and the dip switch jumper moved to pin 2-3. Here are my actions.
1. Replace the battery
2. Move the jumper to pins 1-2 - normal position.
3. plug in and secure the hdmi monitor and usb keyboard - power on monitor
4. wireless mouse was left attached, still is
5. plug in the power supply - power is applied, stand-by power LED illuminated
6. visually check -----
7. Power on

Boot device LED illuminated
Monitor came up- Seems to show everything installed - except I don't see the SSDD ?
Please enter setup to recover BIOS settings.
Press F1 to Run SETUP

I guess I'll do that. Noting that I still have 32 GB memory installed, all four stix are recognized in bios.

Except that nothing happens when I press F1- I'll try holding it depressed?

Changed keyboard- it is good - What? Is F1 the wrong key?

Last edited:
reboot, tap the delete key while booting.
when you get into the bio, tap the F5 key, it will reset the bios back to the defaults.

Back