• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Need Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JusTheUsual

Registered
1st, I'm new here so hello all. Also I hope this is right section to post this.

I just bought 8350 when it was on sale on Amazon for $145 Friday. Waiting for that in mail and Purchased MSI Gaming FX 990 mobo today on Newegg for $130. Buying 16gb ram also. I have a 630watt psu and thermaltake tower that's pretty big with a xfx 280x already. So im just upgrading. I'm looking for some advice on what kind of after market cooler I should get because I want it over clocked close to like 4.7 or more and maybe without buying water cooling. I would understand if that's high hopes for air cooling or if im close to it. That's why im asking advice for what cooler would work with that cpu and mobo set up.

I'm thinking about the cooler master 212x dual 120mm fans because it seems better than the 212evo and I'm not trying to spend more than that on a cooler. Its $45 on newegg

First off welcome to the forum!

Next, those things can put out some serious heat, especially if you intend to overclock it. More than a 212 can take care of after extended use.

That being said someone with more knowledge of the coolers' requirements for your chip should come along and help you out. All I can say really is those things throw a lot of heat.

JusTheUsual, 4.7 Ghz on Air is a pretty lofty goal. There are going to be a few factors contributing to whether or not you'll be able to attain it. Your ambient temperatures, the Cpu itself, the motherboard you chose and the amount and speed of your ram.

What 630w Psu exactly, you do not want to start overclocking one of these Fx 8xxx chips on a budget Psu. If it fails it can take all your shiny new components with it or worse.

As far as the heatsinks go, the two best I could find on Newegg under $45.00 were the Thermaltake NIC C5 and the Cryorig H5A. Will they be able to meet your goal, only trying will determine that. I can say on one of the top Air heatsinks out I was not able to get above 4.6 Ghz due to heat with my chip.

MSI board for an 8350... From what I can tell, It's only 6+2 phase also. MSI has a terrible track record for AMD platforms, and I can't imagine this one is going to be any different.

If it were me, I would return that board as soon as I got it, especially if you want to overclock, and get at a minimum an Asus M5A99FX board. And even then, it's going to be tough to get 4.7GHz. Mandrake's CHV-F is as top of the line as it gets, and he had issues getting to 4.7 with top of the line air cooling. Not saying it can't be done, but I wouldn't expect it. Overclocking is like the lottery, you can't be sure you'll get a winner.

JusTheUsual, 4.7 Ghz on Air is a pretty lofty goal. There are going to be a few factors contributing to whether or not you'll be able to attain it. Your ambient temperatures, the Cpu itself, the motherboard you chose and the amount and speed of your ram.

What 630w Psu exactly, you do not want to start overclocking one of these Fx 8xxx chips on a budget Psu. If it fails it can take all your shiny new components with it or worse.

As far as the heatsinks go, the two best I could find on Newegg under $45.00 were the Thermaltake NIC C5 and the Cryorig H5A. Will they be able to meet your goal, only trying will determine that. I can say on one of the top Air heatsinks out I was not able to get above 4.6 Ghz due to heat with my chip.

Rosewill 630 continuous watts 80bronze. Peak power is 730 and total is 630. I will look up those heatsinks in a few moments. I know 4.7 is on the high side but I know I was aiming at the right area. I would be happy with 4.6, at 4.5 I wouldn't be disappointed but you know how it is, always want more. I'm currently running a 4100 3.6 3.8 turbo so I wanted to upgrade another ghz besides all the other added plus's of the new chip.

Ok how old is the Rosewill, it looks like it was a 2009 model. It wasn't a bad Psu when it was new but Capacitors go bad over time so you may want to consider replacing it. This does not mean it will fail or is failing yet, I just try to be cautious when one wants to Oc one of these Fx 8xxx chips. The power draw from them is pretty high once you start pushing on all cores. Other then that, it seems as if you have realistic expectations so have at it once you get the components. Yes I too know what it is like to want more, just watch yourself it can be a slippery slope. :D

2years old. I bought it when I bought the 280x 2yrs ago on black Friday deals. I did plan on buying a new psu in like a year or sometime next year because I plan on buying another 280x also, so I know I would need more power. I looked up those 2 heatsinks on newegg. Im thinking maybe the thermaltake, but I'm torn between that and couple others that I mentioned.

Rosewill makes garbage to great PSUs... The CAPSTONE series was solid, not sure on the rest. We need to know the exact model to tell you if its good or not.

We have a sticky thread in the PSU section for 'approved' PSUs.. you should check that out.. Or, just grab an EVGA 650B and call it a day. Plenty for overclocking that brown out causing CPU you have there. :p

Honestly, in a year, I would scrap the 280x and get a single card. It isn't worth the potential hassle that comes along with multiple cards. Particularly if you don't know how, or have the time to troubleshoot when things go wrong.

I see the Cooler Master 212 Evo and the 212x mentioned? I have an 212 Evo, great heatsink for any Cpu but the Fx 8/9 chips. I couldn't do more then 4.4 Ghz with my chip with the Evo. I was using a Prolimatech Megahalems for the 4.6 on air I mentioned previously. As far as the 212x I cannot find any reviews on it but judging by the specs of it, it looks like it's just a 212 Evo with a better fan and some nicer cosmetics.

yeah im starting to think the Thermaltake is the better route. Plus its red to match everything that's red with computer. It has more cfm's and 5pipes instead of 4. I don't see how my current psu would be any problem with a continuous 630 where I seen most others are maxed. According to wattage calculators my build would need 500watts. Correct me if im wrong but my current cpu is 95watts and the new cpu is 125 so it would only take 30more watts than now, plus some other factors that don't add up to much. So 500 watts needed according to wattage calculators for new build and with a 630 continuous psu I don't see the problem. I definitely do understand about having 1 vid card instead of 2 having problems i've heard about that. Im not set on what I will do yet. I plan on switching from this Samsung 46" 120hz .3 or .4ms response I have computer hooked up to now to a bigger 4k tv next year so that's why the upgrade on vid card. As is, my current system I run every game about maxed out. My computer boots up in about 30secs. and restarts in about 45seconds. So I couldn't imagine with this new set up what it will do.

One thing you need to understand about us here at overclockers is, that we will push people to get a quality Psu first and foremost. Reason being is we have seen many instances where people try to Oc on a low quality Psu and have it fail. When one has a Psu fail it can take the other components with it or worse. One member recently had one go, catch on fire and needed to have his house fixed due to the damage. This is why we push quality Psu's. That said, I read a few reviews on the Roswill Psu you have and while it's not a top tier Psu it is not a bad one nor old, so I don't have an issue with you using it.

As far as the 8350 being a 125w Cpu, maybe at stock with all the power saving features turned on. Once you start overclock and running all 8 cores it is far from a 125 w chip. At 4.5 Ghz I'd bet it's closer to 200 watts if not more. That all said you still shouldn't have an issue running the 8350 Oced on it.

Thank you and I did not know that bit of information about overclocking it would go up that many watts. I thought some but not that much. Just another reason why im here.

Also that thermaltake heatsink is a 3pin and the mobo is a 4pin cpu fan connector. I heard before that 3pins work in 4pin. is this true about this combination for heat sink and mobo combination?

Also can I get recommendations on which ram for the mobo? It says 2133 oc for mobo. I want red and I think the lower profile red coolers would work better because of the huge heatsink. I see all the ram around $70something to $80something I been looking at. Trying to buy the fastest ram with cas and all that. Im just not sure if some ram at 1866 fully clocks to 2133 and the cas...well you get the point. 2 8gb to run dual channel at 16gb

Last edited:
We are here to help so ask away to your heart desire when you have questions.

Yep these Fx Cpu especially the 8 "core" variants really suck in the juice when Oced. If you look at the specs on the Fx 9590 Cpu it says it's 220w, the Fx 8xxx processors are essentially the same processor as the Fx 9xxx, just different binning. So a Fx 83xx at 4.7 on all cores would be almost the same as the 9590 at stock, following me? I've done some testing on my chip and at 4.7 running 100% load on the Cpu my total system power draw was near 400W. I've also seen under extreme conditions with my processor over 5.2 Ghz and one of my power sucking Gpu's overclocked running benchmarks, 827w drawn from the wall. Again you will be fine with the Psu you have, I just posted this to inform you.

As far as the heatsink the 3 pin fan will work on the 4 pin header. The heatsink has a manual fan controller that can also be used to control the fans.

Ram I will usually recommend G. Skill for the AMD Fx chips. Most ram will run on any chip but we have seen the least issues with G. Skill. For my money these would be the sticks I'd buy. G. Skill Ripjaw 1866. If you really need 16g then just get the 2 x 8g versions or these Trident X. The difference between 1866 and higher is negligible for anything other then doing "real work", for example rendering videos or doing some sort of computations for hours upon end.

Thanks, was thinking about the g skill ram but was worrying about height of heat sinks on ram but the thermaltake heatsink says on newegg it shouldn't hit ram. I was wondering just to make sure the huge thermaltake heatsink has enough room in my case, it looks close. I have thermaltake case and couldn't find the numbers or model number for what it is but here is the dimension: 7 1/2"w x 16"H x 18"D. Those are outside dimensions measured not inside. Like I said it has no numbers on it to show model numbers. HAs a 120mm fan in bottom front drawing in and 120mm in top back pushing out. Found a link to what the case looks like. http://www.amazon.com/Gamer-Ultra-GUA250-Desktop-Computer/dp/B005TJKGTM

The fans are still red and so with the red and black theme with everything it should look sweet

Last edited:
If the outside width is 7.5 " you definitely want to do some measuring inside the case to see if it will fit, the heatsink is 160mm tall. It's likely it will fit but be tight, just measure inside to make sure. As far as the ram, I couldn't fine the dimensions of the heatsink from the plate to the bottom of the fans but from reading the literature it seems they developed it to fit over most heatsinks. The Ripjaws aren't all that tall so that should be an issue.

Is this the case, Thermaltake Commander MS-I ID?

Last edited:
That's like mine but its a different model. I don't have blue on front and the red tabs on the side by the front and some of the holes are different where the red tabs are. It is a gua250 I ordered through cyberpowerpc like 3-4yrs ago like the amazon link I posted but bought it through sears.

Ok I'm looking just to see if I can find the dimensions of the case. Your best bet is just to measure from the motherboard to the left panel to see the distance. I'm thinking the heatsink should be fine but checking first would be a good idea.

6 1/2" from the mobo to lip of case, and thats on the inside of mobo towards inside of case or another words on top of the mobo but I don't know how much the cpu would stick out past that. And what about the height of where the cpu to top of case?

Measure from the top of the Cpu to the panel, it looks like it may be tight but maybe it will get in there.

Back