• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build Need Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2" from the top of the heat sink to top of case and its the stock heat sink for the 4100. The mobo is gigabyte 78LMT-S2. Would the new msi mobo I'm getting relocate the cpu from where it is now or?

Last edited:
2" from the top of the heat sink to top of case and its the stock heat sink for the 4100. The mobo is gigabyte 78LMT-S2. Would the new msi mobo I'm getting relocate the cpu from where it is now or?

No.

But the measurement we really need is not to the top of the case but to the side panel from the top of the CPU. I'm speaking of a tower style case now. The "tallness" of the good tower style aftermarket heats heat sinks is often the critical factor. So what do you mean when you say 2" to the top of the case? Do you mean the side panel or the top panel?

2" from the top of the stock regular heat sink to the top of the case not the sides. See post 19. 6 1/2" from the top/front side of the motherboard where you plug in ram, power connectors, cpu etc. from that point to the side of the case is 6 1/2". I'm not sure how much further the cpu sticks out from the mobo when its in its socket. So if cpu sticks out 1/8th of a inch when in mobo so its taller than mobo it would be 6 3/8".

That's like mine but its a different model. I don't have blue on front and the red tabs on the side by the front and some of the holes are different where the red tabs are. It is a gua250 I ordered through cyberpowerpc like 3-4yrs ago like the amazon link I posted but bought it through sears.

It does have blue in front but the dimensions look slightly off from what I measured and the red tabs and holes on the drivebays are different, otherwise it looks exactly like mine

I feel your best bet is wait till you get the motherboard, then measure from the top of the Cpu to the side panel to see if it can fit. Worst case scenario is you use the stock heatsink until we can find a heatsink that will fit in the case.

I just got the mobo in mail today. It looks sweeeet. Surprisingly, I thought I would get the cpu 1st because I ordered that like 3-4days before mobo, but amazon is slow, I just checked tracking and that's suppose to be in tomorrow. I still haven't ordered ram and the heatsink yet. When I get everything is when im going to put it all together

Thinking maybe trying taking side panel off behind mobo and try positioning new mobo about in place and measure from cpu socket and up to top of case. Why does it say thanks above this post?

I thanked you for letting me know what your plan was. :D

I think that's a good idea, it's your best bet to see what heatsink will fit in the case.

Oh now I see the thanks button, I would of thanked you already. I'm going to try to line it up soon today or tonight

Cutting to the chase, measure across the top panel of the case from outside to outside. If it's 8" or more inches wide it will in all probability accommodate the height of the typical tower style cooler with 120mm fans, like a CM Hyper 212 Evo, which are all about 160mm tall. If it's between 7.5" and 8" it might. Less than that and it won't fit.

So you are saying this mechanic might have to break out the grinder to the case and make alterations to case. Maybe a after market hood scoop for the top? lol Seriously though, I have put in the back of my mind the option of cutting or grinding into case to make one fit. The top is exactly 7" across. Looking down from top and measuring from bottom of heatsink to outside of case is roughly 6 1/2" But there is the lip too of case that the side panel slides on which is like 1/4" in....im gonna take some pics and post them

Greeeat, my digi cam just broke....sigh. I was gonna take pics and upload to imgur and post links. So I took pics with galaxy s4 and cant upload direct to forum so installed imgur app to upload and see no options of putting them on this forum

I had a narrow case like that and manged to use a tall heat sink with it by cutting a hole in the left hand side panel. I went to the cookware section of Walmart an bought a metal food pan a couple inches deep and siliconed it to the side panel over the hole. I then spray painted the thing. Was pretty neat! Sounds like you also have an issue with the top panel slider channel, however. Is a new case in your future and in your budget?

Greeeat, my digi cam just broke....sigh. I was gonna take pics and upload to imgur and post links. So I took pics with galaxy s4 and cant upload direct to forum so installed imgur app to upload and see no options of putting them on this forum
E mail the pics to yourself and use the inforum hosting tool. It's always better to use the inforum tool, sometimes people can't see outside hosted pictures due to security reasons at work. In addition, down the road if your account expires at the image hosting site, they will just be dead links and not very helpful to anyone looking at this thread, in need of help.
Capture4.PNG

I can take more or better ones if you tell me what angles, but here is 2

- - - Updated - - -

I had a narrow case like that and manged to use a tall heat sink with it by cutting a hole in the left hand side panel. I went to the cookware section of Walmart an bought a metal food pan a couple inches deep and siliconed it to the side panel over the hole. I then spray painted the thing. Was pretty neat! Sounds like you also have an issue with the top panel slider channel, however. Is a new case in your future and in your budget?

Honestly I can but I don't want to buy another case. Already spending enough money upgrading as is. I had to talk myself into buying all this as is. Its more or less "Ok I spent enough money already"

I'm starting to think if it's so close or a pain in the butt to get the huge heat sink in maybe I should just buy a smaller one and hope of hitting 4.5? Yes, no? Recommendation for a cheaper slightly smaller heat sink and about hitting 4.5 with it?

Back