• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can ignore the ones that you've already answered elsewhere in this thread:

• What are you planning to do with this compuer? Please be as specfic as possible.
    -Gaming
    -Rendering/Video Editing
  • What is your budget?
    1500$~2000$ including the monitor.
    1. Does this include a copy of Windows?
      No, I already have it.
    2. Does this include peripheals (a keyboard, monitor, mouse, speakers, etc.)?
      No, I already have them.
  • Are you from the United States or a different country? Are you ordering from your own country or from across borders?
    I am from a different country and I'll be ordering from Amazon.
    1. Wherever you may be from, does the store that you are planning to order from have a website? It's okay if it isn't in English, we can manage.
    2. If you are from the United States, do you live nearby a Microcenter?
  • Do you have any specific requests with the build?
    No
    1. Do you plan on overclocking? If yes, do you have a specific goal in mind?
      Only minor CPU/GPU overclocking and not right away, it might take some time to actually do it.
    2. Would you prefer the build to be particularly small?
      Mid-tower is enough for me, like the NZXT Phantom 410
    3. Would you prefer the build to be particularly quiet?
      Well, you can't get rid of the noise while completely utilizing the CPU/GPU.
    4. In general, do you prefer this to be a computer that you can spend money on now and let it rest, or a box built for continuous upgrading?
      Of course, continuous upgrading, maybe every 1~2 years.
    5. Do you ever plan on utilizing NVIDIA's SLI or AMD's CrossfireX technologies? These features, with a compatible motherboard, allow a user to link multiple identical graphic cards together for added performance. In real world terms, this lets you buy a second identical graphics card down the line as a relatively cheap and easy way to gain a fairly large boost in performance. However, this requires buying a SLI/CFX compatible motherboard and PSU now, which may result in slightly higher initial cost.
      Yes, I am planning to SLI. Dual OC GTX680's is what I have in mind.

Once again, thank you in advance for taking the time to answer these, and I hope you enjoy your stay at OCF! :)

Guys, I already ordered the below parts:

Intel Core i7-3770K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Asrock Z77 Extreme4
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680
WD Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM 64 MB
Corsair Force GT 240 GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 850 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze (I even got it for only 104.99$)

However, something came to my mind and I need your help. Considering those 3 parts (asrock z77 extreme4, Hyper 212 evo, Corsair Vengeance 8x2). Will i have any problem fitting the ram without colliding with the CPU cooler ?

Last edited:
will i notice any performance difference if i installed the rams in A2 (second slot) and B2 (last slot) ?

I found those on the motherboard manual:

Note1: It is recommended to install a memory module in DDR3_A2 or DDR3_B2 slot first!
Note2: 4PCS = dual channel, supports 2 modules and 4 modules
Note3: 2PCS = tested successfully with 2 modules
Note4: The O.C. mode is not guaranteed. It depends on whole system configuration and other parameters.
Note5: For system stability, use more efficient memory cooling system to support a full memory load (4 DIMMs) when overclocking.
Note6:Due to the configuration of CPU, the default speeds of DDR3 2333/2300 MHz will operate at DDR3 2200/2200 MHz.

All the searches i have done comes up 212 Evo or 212 Plus on the Asrock Mobo! So at a best guess yes! But come back to me once more then i have to go this end. AJ.

I will leave you with Conumdrum he knows more than me put together so listen to him GD Night!

Last edited:
Again, if i used the second and the last slot instead of the first and the third, is there any difference ? i am still using dual channels so it shouldn't matter right ? anyone with expertise on this particular topic ?

I've just noticed something in the motherboard manual:

If you want to install two memory modules, for optimal compatibility
and reliability, it is recommended to install them in the slots: DDR3_
A1 and DDR3_B1, or DDR3_A2 and DDR3_B2.

That said, I'll use the second and fourth slots which for sure doesn't collide with the Heatsink. Well, that's a relief.

I'd still want to know something, why most of the people say that it is always better to use the first and the third slot, is it a false believe ? or is it a motherboard dependent (like in my case, it won't matter if any of the 2 combination were used).

Depends on the motherboard. Most of the time, it doesn't matter.

I have personally built with that cooler, motherboard, and RAM. I don't remember if I had to slide the fan up or not, but I know that build was successfully finished.

Depends on the motherboard. Most of the time, it doesn't matter.

I have personally built with that cooler, motherboard, and RAM. I don't remember if I had to slide the fan up or not, but I know that build was successfully finished.

Thank you :)

I just found another thing:

For optimal compatibility and stability while overclocking memory
frequency, it is recommended to install one memory module on
DDR3_B2 slot or two memory modules on DDR3_A2 and DDR3_
B2 slots.

So now it is even better to use the other two slots.

Most motherboard manuals tell you to use the 2nd and 4th slot from the CPU. I don't see any reason why 1st and 3rd would be different from the 2nd and 4th, but that's what it says.

The first two slots and 2nd two slots are each one channel. By having one stick in each channel, you enable dual channel mode, which increases the bandwidth available to the RAM.

Most motherboard manuals tell you to use the 2nd and 4th slot from the CPU. I don't see any reason why 1st and 3rd would be different from the 2nd and 4th, but that's what it says.

The first two slots and 2nd two slots are each one channel. By having one stick in each channel, you enable dual channel mode, which increases the bandwidth available to the RAM.

Yeah, i knew the part related to the dual channel mode, however, everyone just keep saying to use the first and third slot, without taking into consideration the motherboard or anything else. Anyways thanks for the explanation, really helpful.

On the other hand, do you like the final list that I came up with (and already ordered) ?

They're all solid parts. There's a few combo deals or slightly different parts that might have shaved, I dunno, maybe $50-75 or so off the total cost. Everything you picked though is high quality, you should be extremely happy with it.

Yeah you might be right. But still, I got decent high quality parts. Plus, I was lucky to the extent that after I order the parts, two items dropped price, one dropped 14$ and the other 20$ :mad:. Hold on, I am not finished yet :clap:, I directly contacted amazon and they accepted to refund me the difference right away without any hassle :thup:. This was really great.

Now I only need to find a local high-end monitor (1920x1200) with a reasonable price. Speaking of which, I heard that there isn't any noticeable difference with the monitors having 5ms or 2ms response times. Is this correct ?

Back