• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build. No power up after changing memory frequency

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lagwtf

So I've been going through a lot of troubleshooting and I'm starting to get stumped/desperate.

Ryzen 5 1600x
Asus ROG strix b350-f motherboard
G.skill ripjaw V 16gb 3000[2x8]
GTX 1060
850 EVO M.2 SSD

I built a new computer and it booted into the UEFI first try. So I'm looking around in the menus and see that my memory was set to 2133. I see a drop down menu to change the frequency, so I changed it to 2933 and hit save and reset. Didn't think that was anything major since my RAM is rated at 3000. The computer resets, then powers off and now nothing happens when I press the power button on the case. The power LED on the MB is on, the Aura LEDs are changing colors, but the PSU fan and all the components don't start up when I turn on the PSU.

* I've reset the CMOS by taking out the battery, shorting the jumpers.

* I tried jumping the power from the MB just incase the button wasn't working.

* I tested the PSU by itself with paperclip and a hard drive connected and the PSU fan and hard drive both worked fine, but once I reconnect the 24 pin to the MB and turn on the PSU the fans or other components don't turn on. only lights. The pins on the MB connector look fine. None bent.

* I tried every possible RAM configuration in every slot.

* tried disconnecting the GPU

* No wires or metal parts are touching the back of the MB.

Running out of things to try to make this work. Maybe I'm missing something here. Maybe the board is faulty? Would appreciate any help in this. Thanks
6a-OaQXNO1_bdEq-6IzXk_8JT51ZHXtgYU8pxhNbi0VMB9KcOktzz-wq8sZjraYUq03yzQfNt59ek2tfk1nk1qPpLIoH_lIwPA_STHDAT0_IQcBatCNMI0WL7hBsQBMjYcS9_StZhjR3JoqTuF33Kv7MzNdyhAH5-xGTItFHMHxmYRrJmrQ1eMjDZXML8Esq3io8thvImIJO6HqH__P6_vo9AqTAVKNBG_55zkpHFqZRxww8OiLEj32s_WDl9PP949cnstvHfMOkEUVmUXOABPCnnYJEzFcoZv3X8jHZy_SWc3kmjjWZfqJnB8tkOk14KaYhSj_4ZJskajo4Q_9ovftWJR3Ad3hVLS5t8SnT_uA6xh1AUNifioOEmNgtSjJhxRZiEdaFvZvYqR_KD6Ph83CsXaDmOACr5ewhSx5RwnaPlgpAN7NZSSUMc-XtINysm6K8pmt46hdMnBHHAygXiaFxbMQPUxBvnoO1y0du0bjuQQeQX_UvMVVuAcBAsBXNx92VdO12h8iZAWDvN8lTuN0dTkb3Uc0bUavxkWgDHFZoLUC8qGY4MDs5tL8GoMr3VI_D3ZI7l1CZ7M9ERoCePaewUEEEMB21jF8mjqE=w1680-h945-no

I hate to say it but it sounds like your motherboard died.

Is it still under warranty with the vendor? I hope so as I hate having to deal with Asus customer support.

I'm going to RMA through Newegg. I'm just afraid of complications because I think I threw away the stickers and antistatic sleeve that came with it.

Yeah, you should always keep the anti-static sleeves that come with motherboards and the I/O shield if, for nothing else, you want to sell the board on ebay someday. You may be able to get an anti-static sleeve from a local PC repair shop, however. Is this your first build from scratch?

Sure looks like it, but what are the chances of Mobo dying like that? On my Asus if I crank numbers beyond sanity, it will turn on with black screen, and I have to hold power button to turn off and then back on, it says Overcloxking failed, blah blah and loads up defaults and asks if I want to go into bios

Wouldn't there be some similar protection to prevent sudden death?

I'd leave it powered off, unplugged, and battery removed over night. Then try it again in the AM. Consider reseating the CPU as well.

I hope so as I hate having to deal with Asus customer support.
MEH. Its ROG, so it tends to be better. ;)

Sure looks like it, but what are the chances of Mobo dying like that? On my Asus if I crank numbers beyond sanity, it will turn on with black screen, and I have to hold power button to turn off and then back on, it says Overcloxking failed, blah blah and loads up defaults and asks if I want to go into bios

Wouldn't there be some similar protection to prevent sudden death?

It happens.

I took the battery out for like 9-10 hours and it didn't reset. the only thing i haven't done is reseat the processor. need to get some paste.

Makes me nervous now going on a new ram adventure after seeing this. I must've done Guinness book records for most failed overclocks saved by Asus! I hope the next one won't be the last.

Sorry about your board, lagwtf..

Was stoked to have a new computer from the ground up for the first time in 10 years, but I guess I'll have to wait a little more.

Found the antistatic sleeve and stickers I was missing earlier, so I should have everything I need to send it back.

Thanks. This seems like a cool forum. Thanks for the quick responses.

Is this your first build from scratch?

Didn't see this at first. Technically, yes. Always tinkered with [pre-built] computers from a young age but this is the first time I've built from scratch.

New board shipping out today. Think I'm going to return the RAM I got and switch it for something that's listed on the QVL at 3200. When I got this G.skill RAM I didn't know how picky the Rog Strix b350 board was and I didn't know how important RAM speed was for Ryzen performance.

Looks like this is one of the few that will actually run at 3200mhz
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16820233976

Generally, in order to run high speed RAM with Ryzen CPUs you need to focus on getting memory modules made with Samsung "B" chips. And generally, RAM that is rated for 3200 mhz or better and CL 15 or CL 14 will have Samsung B chips.

The expectation is that when Ryzen II comes out it won't be so picky about RAM.

Be careful when consulting the QVL list. A lot of the RAM products in those lists will only do 3200 mhz when purchased in four stick kits. For instance, you can get a total of 16 gb in either 4x4 or 8x2. I think that is due to single and double rank issues.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone have a problem with Trident Z yet , thats what I would be getting if I was building a ryzen even if it cost me a bit extra .

This whole memory thing is a headache. I talked with G.skill tech support and they said memory controllers on Ryzens are inconsistent so there is some luck when it comes to compatibility.

This Flare X seems to be the perfect choice for me, but this exact config is not on the mobo QVL, so it kinda makes me nervous. Leaning toward this, though, because it looks like quality RAM and has the B-die chips.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...32530&cm_re=flarex_ram-_-20-232-530-_-Product

The corsair RAM I listed above is on the QVL in the 2x8 config I want, and is one of the few that will do DOCP3200, but it's CAS 18.

Last edited:
My sense is that FlareX has had the best success rate with Trident Z not quite giving as good a results.

My two cents worth of input is that your likelyhood of success with a full 3200 mhz is going to be with FlareX and not Corsair. But GSkill support is certainly right in pointing out that there is a "luck of the draw" element involved even when making the best RAM choice.

I have also gotten the sense that there has been a maturing of the Ryzen platform so that results with high speed RAM have improved over the initial release period.

I'll be returning the ripjaws for flareX. Kinda disappointed in my lack of thorough research when it came to RAM. Not only are the motherboards picky but RAM speed makes a pretty big difference in game performance, with 3200 being the sweet spot before diminishing returns.

Back