• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new build, Which motherboard, so many options!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imposter

Hi there!

I'm looking at building a new PC For myself this time with overclocking in mind, mild overlocking. Nothing to extreme However, I have mountain of student loans to pay off and I'm thinking whether or not I will go there. I probably won't upgrade my stock cooler, until a few months from now. I don't mind going budget, as I see newer cpu's aren't going to overclock as much as they use to. Mind you I'm coming from a Q6600, and anything is going to be faster than this.

Since I have microcenter near me I plan to pick i7-4790K. If my Budget does not hold I'll stick with i5-4690K. I have 40 dollars off a motherboard if I buy them together and my motherboard of choice right now is the ASrock extreme 6. What do you guys think of this choice? I'm a die hard Asus fan, but I hear good things about this board. I assume they are stable enough these days?

I only play warcraft 3 :rofl: currently, so on board graphics will serve me just fine. If anything in the future, I probably will only get a single graphics card. I don't think I'll ever have the need of SLI/Crossfire. What is more important to me is good onboard sound.

~thoughts~
Probably the I5 will be just fine for me, but I may take on the extra horse power because I sometimes do MATLAB simulations. I may even go down to an I3 if I see my budget won't allow it. So I guess my question here is, Which high end config would you guys pick, I7+motherboard for overclocking, or low end i3 with no overclocking.
~

Side-questions, Intel's roadmap is confusing me, are they planning on sticking with the new 2011 V3 socket, or is that just for their higher end enthusiast boards? I.e is this last refresh, Devils Canyon, the last they will do on the 1150 socket? Or is that impossible to tell at this point.

Thank you all in advance

Imposter :bday:

Last edited:
Socket 1150 will support Broadwell. 2011V3 is the enthusiast socket. 1150 is mainstream.

I say buy the best you can. If you're looking at an i3, you're better off with an FX6300 at the same price, honestly.

You may even be deep in AMD country with your budget and maybe an 8320 would be the right choice.

Hey,
Thanks for the reply.
I was looking at AMD earlier, and they are very attractive at the low budget end. Though I never actually thought of getting them, but you are right they do make sense if i want to go anything less than 200 $ on cpu. Also considering AMD motherboards are generally cheaper.

I would recommend a 4790K for gaming and future proofing personally.

If you wanted to save some $, an 8320, heavily overclocked, would be almost as good in most things, and slightly better in a couple of things, depending on what you're doing with the PC.

1) How much $ (before taxes/shipping) including OS, monitor, keybo/mouse, etc do you want to spend?

2) What do you need? Tower? Tower/speakers/monitor? Tower and OS? All of the above?

3) Exactly what will you be doing with this system (please list everything)

4) How long do you plan to run this system before you replace it?

Hi there,

before tax, My goal is to be less than 500. but realistically 400 sounds about right. The way I've been looking at it is, I rather not pay interest.
What I need is a CPU/Motherboard/RAM

I already have a case, power supply, and hard drive, monitors, keyboard etc.

At the moment, all I am doing with the machine is playing Warcraft 3, watching movies, and internet. Most of my intensive simulations I do at work, (MATLAB) and work with 100 page word documents lots of equations/pictures...(My Q6600 had trouble with it believe it or not)

If this PC could last me 2 years. That should be plenty. My goal is to pay off my loans by then.

Now that I'm writing in actual text, and not just thinking about it all in my brain, sounds like an I7 will to be over kill which totally changes, everything. I was thinking of sticking with Intel only because AMD seems to be very limited. If in the future I decide to get something more intensive, I can always swap out the cpu without having to build a new system, which I probably would have to do if going with amd.

Edit: I do also do a lot of photo processing. Ie, Lightroom.

Last edited:
Grab an FX-8350, GA-990FXA-UD3, and 2x4GB G.SKILL Ares 1866MHz CL9 RAM.

What case do you have? An aftermarket CPU cooler benefits the FX series a lot.

So I just calculated how much the Fx + Ga AMD setup would be at microcenter, and looking around 220-230$ after tax, holy bananas.

Pretty awesome price!

currently have this case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129191

Which aftermarket cooler were you thinking? How power hungry is this processor? seems like amd has to overclock and throw power at it just to compete with intels processors.

If you can fit an NH-D14 go for that. I think it'll be close in your case.

What PSU do you have currently? And what GPU?

You can get your i5 4690 combo at Microcenter for under $400. The motherboard supports both Crossfire and SLI natively and is quite a deal since it was already marked down $30 and you get another $40 off with the combo deal. You can get different RAM somewhere else if you wish, I just put the Crucial in the basket for a full combo price.

f0e06t.jpg

Ultra 120 Adapter link

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...1366_Ultra_120_Series_HR-01_True_Spirit_.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the screen shot!

Yep I'm assuming something along those lines. Where do you see the 30 dollar discount? I only see the 40 dollars off that you get if you buy the motherboard.

I just wasn't sure which motherboard to grab. I assume the gigabyte is similar to the extreme 6?

thanks!

If you click on the motherboard and go to it's listing you will see it is marked down $30 from $149 to $119, and then with the combo it goes down another $40 to $79. I buy all my combos at Microcenter, you can't beat the price.

I can't comment on the Extreme6 capabilities.

You can get your i5 4690 combo at Microcenter for under $400. The motherboard supports both Crossfire and SLI natively and is quite a deal since it was already marked down $30 and you get another $40 off with the combo deal. You can get different RAM somewhere else if you wish, I just put the Crucial in the basket for a full combo price.

f0e06t.jpg

Ultra 120 Adapter link

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...1366_Ultra_120_Series_HR-01_True_Spirit_.html

^This
But get 2133Mhz RAM. The price difference over 1600Mhz is minimal and it does make a tiny difference. Worth the couple of bucks IMO.
Pick up a cheapo aftermarket cooler like a Hyper 212 Evo for $30 so you can OC the cpu some. Might as well.

I wouldn't get anything from AMD for gaming right now. FX series are much slower than i5/i7, heat up more and cheaper boards have various issues ( or may cause it under full load or after overclocking ). In real it's not much cheaper than Intel and probably has no upgrade options for the future.
4690K+ Extreme6 or something similar seem best option right now. Also 2133 memory should cost not much more as it was already suggested.

hey guys thanks for the input

I'm thinking of 4690k and asrock extreme4. Seems like the extreme6 has a few extra features that I'm probably never going to use, unless you guys think it may be more stable/ overclock better. I was thinking z97-a but the asrock and gigabyte have the newer 1150 sound chip which seems to be good.

as for ram, I think I saw a deal on newegg for cheaper ram. I'll definitely get 2133 ram. RAM is even worse. some companies have 10 different types of ram for each clock rate.

The Extreme4 should do just fine for you :)

For RAM stick to CL9. The cheapest 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 that I see on Newegg is $85.
Might as well pay the extra $2 for the ones I mentioned earlier since they match the motherboard :thup:

The Extreme4 should do just fine for you :)

For RAM stick to CL9. The cheapest 2x4GB 2133MHz CL9 that I see on Newegg is $85.
Might as well pay the extra $2 for the ones I mentioned earlier since they match the motherboard :thup:

I never though of matching my boards like that, but you are right :)

okay guys thanks for the input!!! I think I'm going to stop by microcenter this weekend. for the I5 and asrock. hopefully I have a cheap stick of ddr 3 laying around so I can fire this bad boy up as I wait for the RAM.

Just for last min check, do you guys think extreme6 would overclock better than extreme 4? or does the extreme 6 just have more features, such as extra peripherals? Any point of upgrading to the killer series? Or have i maximized my dollar at this point ?

edit: I'll probably buy this mount for my ultra 120 thanks Dave!

The overclocking should be the same.
As far as I know the power delivery sections and BIOS's are the exact same.

hey guys,

I got this in my email today! Sounds like a typo, but if isn't then I'm going to grab the sabertooth! What do you guys think? Tried adding them to my cart, didn't get the same price. looks like they applied the 40 dollar discount twice. Running to the store after work today :D Will be pretty slick if its true.

Thanks ATMINSIDE !. It's hard to keep track of so many motherboards! =]

Attachments

• microcenter.PNG
    microcenter.PNG
    134.7 KB · Views: 78
Back