• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new computer build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

econnor

Registered
i need urgent help guys i've just come back from my holidays and install my
new mobo gigabyte ga-890fx-ud5 rev.3, with all new hardware but in the bios doesn't reconize HDD seagate 1tb sata3 plus drive asus drw sata drive
which port do i connect the hdd into with the dvd rw
mobo says sata3_0/1/2/3/4/5[sata 6Gb/s connectors, contolled by AMD SB850]
so which one sata3 0 sata3 2 sata3 4
sata3 1 sata3 4 sata3 5

or do i put then in the gsata2 6/7 ports
when i put then _0 & _5 ports the bios reconize the hdd with the dvd rw but not as master 1 when i install windows 7 64bit windows does not reconize any drivers. I've spent 2 days on this and it's driving my head in.
should just take it to the computer shop let then install windoes 7 and the hdd in the right ports. it must be something simple. thanks in advance guys.

There are no master and slave relationships between drives in SATA like there were in PATA. Your post is a bit confusing. Are you trying to install Windows from scratch on the main hard drive or are you trying to use a previous install of Windows on these drives? When you put in a new motherboad you need to install Windows from scratch as the OS needs to initial itself uniquely to the chipset and hardware of the new board. Shouldn't matter which SATA ports you connect the drives to.

Next question: Were any of these hard drives previously used in a RAID configuration?

yes trents i'm trying to install from scatch all brand new hardware, even the OS windows 7 software is. i've had the hdd in raid once before when i was playing around in the bios settings but i cleared the cmos. now it's not in raid which one should i set it to IDE or ACHI???
agian thanks trents.

I HAVE GIVEN UP I'M TAKING IT TO THE COMPUTER SHOP TOMORROW.

i've played around with it last night [2:30am in the morning] it seams if i put the hdd in port_4 and dvd drive in port_o the bios seams to reconize the hardware in cmos settings.
what i'm trying to do is install windows 7 pro 64bit onto a brand new hdd when i do the install it says no device drivers were found. i've done a google search do i need a driver signature enforcement overrider such as ng hq software. trents let me tell you, your the only guy seams to know around computers??

You shouldn't need device drivers to recognize the HD when doing a Win 7 install. Win 7 has native recognition of SATA drives. This is a really weird problem.

Do you have access to another computer? If so, I would suggest burning an Ubuntu Live CD. See if Ubutu will install on your system. Just curious if an alternate OS will see the system differently.

i've still got my old computer trents, so i just download ubuntu live and put it in the dvd drive before i install windows7, should i download 32bit 0r 64 bit version, old pc is 32bit new pc is 64bit.

well i tried to use the ubuntu live cd that i downloaded onto dvd, didn't do nothnig. when i install windows 7 it comes up
no signed device drivers were found, make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers. whar does this all mean. early today i went a brought anew optical drive lg bh10ls30 that is windows 7 compaitable.

well i tried to use the ubuntu live cd that i downloaded onto dvd, didn't do nothnig. when i install windows 7 it comes up
no signed device drivers were found, make sure the installation media contains the correct drivers. whar does this all mean. early today i went a brought anew optical drive lg bh10ls30 that is windows 7 compaitable.

The Ubuntu Live file you downloaded is an ISO. It has to be "unpacked" as it is burned onto a CD. You can't just burn the ISO file onto a CD like you were adding regular data files. There are freeware ISO burners to do this if you are trying to do it from an older, Windows XP machine. Windows 7 had native ISO buiring ability, however.

Are you sure the new hard drive is good? I've had them been bad right out of the box. Have you tried the new hard drive on another computer?

Have you tried resetting the cmos on the new board?

By the way, to answer an earlier question, you should set the storage mode to AHCI. That gives the best performance with modern hard drives. Do it before installing Windows.

trents i just install the new hdd into my old computer and cloned it, then i installed it in the new computer now everything is working [windows xp pro] so now can i install windows 7 on the new hdd [clean install]

Let us know how it works out. Withe the new information from your latest post it makes me wonder if the new drive's file allocation table was buggered. The cloning then restored it.

it might sound a dump question, but when i cloned the windows xp OS to the new hdd, will the old hdd still have the windows xp OS ?? just in case something stupid goes wrong with the installation of windows7 on the new hdd??

Yes, unless you tell the Windows 7 installer to delete the partition before you install the new OS. Your old XP data and system files will be backed up. However, you won't be able to boot into XP anymore because the boot sector of the drive will be overwritten with Win 7 system files unless . . . you set up a dual boot hard drive by creating a second partition on the drive and installing Windows 7 on it. Then at bootup you would be asked which OS to boot into.

Last edited:
well trents, i've got the windows 7 up and running last night, very happy with how very quick responsive my computer is, so fast compare to the old one.

well i've been running the new system for 36 hours straight just to see how the temps are running what do you guys think?? no OC as yet.
here are some screen shots of cpuid.

Attachments

• cpu.PNG
    cpu.PNG
    18 KB · Views: 230
  • hw monitor.PNG
    hw monitor.PNG
    22.3 KB · Views: 255
  • ram.PNG
    ram.PNG
    49.2 KB · Views: 240
  • spd.PNG
    spd.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 239
are those temps for the cpu ok, being a x4 125w BE ?? shouldn't the ram timings be
8 8 8 24 2t ?? thats what said on the kingston web site. thanks guys.
on the weekend i see how i go OC'ing

As far as temps go, they are jut fine but they are idle temps with Cool N Quiet and C1E obviously still enabled. You can tell that from the CPU-z tab "CPU" and the Core Speed line. It is only 803 mhz when the CPU is rated at 3200 mhz. If you put the CPU under a little stress you would see those numbers climb up to the rated speed. If you ever overclock your computer, turn Cool N Quiet and C1E off and set the Windows power mode to Performance.

Having said all that, idle temps don't tell us much of anything. Why don't you run Prime95 blend for 15 minutes with HWMonitor open and then post back with pics of HWMonitor? That would be more helpful. We need to see temps under load.

Back