• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New CPU question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roller6902

Registered
So, I'm planning to get the AMD Phenom II X4 for my PC.

I want to know if it will work with my motherboard (NARRA3)

I note AM2+ sockets work with AM3 motherboards, but, when I read the upgrade specifications, it confuses me if the Phenom has to be AM2+ and not AM3

So, I'm planning to get the AMD Phenom II X4 for my PC.

I want to know if it will work with my motherboard (NARRA3)

I note AM2+ sockets work with AM3 motherboards, but, when I read the upgrade specifications, it confuses me if the Phenom has to be AM2+ and not AM3
From the link you provided, I dont think so...

See the "Processor Upgrade Information" section? Open that up. I do not see your CPU listed there. Its also a 125W CPU and that same section only mentions 90W.

To confirm 100%, personally, I would call HP. :thup:

Socket AM2+ CPUs will not work with socket AM3 motherboards. However, socket AM3 CPUs will work with socket AM2+ motherboards as long as the bios supports the particular CPU. This is true because the memory controller is built into the CPU and is no longer on the motherboard. Socket AM3 CPUs have memory controllers that are downwardly compatible with DDR2 memory. Socket AM2+ boards use DDR2 but socket AM2+ CPUs cannot use DDR3 memory which is the memory required by socket AM3 motherboards.

Back