• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Custom Computer Build, but nothing but problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

D.Whitehurst

ok, so i sold my computer for $600 so i could buy a better one, so i ordered my parts off newegg, and i got them put it all togeather and there was no display... the computer would turn on. fans, hard drive, etc would come on but no display....? i checked the video card and that wasnt it put it in another computer with a new motherboard and ram and diffrent cpu and it worked (SAME PSU...) so thats not the problem either.... so we have ruled out Video card, and Power supply. so i RMA'ed the motherboard got the new one in, and still the same thing.... hooked up the case speaker no beeping AT ALL!!!!, took out ram, tried that.. still same thing no beeping?
here are my system specs.
ASRock 770 EXTREME3 Motherboard
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Ram
RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W Power Supply
AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor
750GB Western Digital Caviar Black Sata 6GB Hard Drive
PNY XLR8 GeForce GTX 460 1GB Graphics Card

From what i can tell, all the parts are compatible, ive been working on computers for many years and
so i was carfull togo over everything several times, but ive never had an issue like this. the only thing left it could be is maybe the cpu is DOA, or ram is bad or the wrong ram? not sure, but my question is can someone please help me out and try and find out what the problem is.

I would try making sure power supply is not getting power from wall outlet and jumper the CmOs jumper to pins 2 and 3 for about 5 mins or so, then CmOs jumper back to pins 1 and 2. Then re-apply power from wall outlet to the power supply and attempt booting.

Ensure that the 24 pin and 8 or 4 pin CPU power are attached to the correct inputs.

IF the video card has a place to apply power from the power supply in a 6 or 8 pin manner, then make sure that is done as well in this configuration.

I would assemble the components outside the case (on a table top) to eliminate ground out problems with the case. Include only the essential components like hard drive, video card and one stick of memory to start with. Then add other things back in if you have initial success.

i checked the video card and that wasnt it put it in another computer with a new motherboard and ram and diffrent cpu and it worked (SAME PSU...) << Another cpu. Humh? We also have swapped the mobo out that is in question but in it has been the same cpu.

hooked up the case speaker no beeping AT ALL!!!!, << Not looking good for the cpu being among the living.

took out ram, tried that.. still same thing no beeping << More no beeping. Well the cpu has to be good to get really far into the boot process. In fact the cpu has to be good before the Bios can be extracted into the ram for booting.

Me thinks you have a bad cpu or at least something as "trents" said that is shorting the cpu and why to test minimal build out of the case.

As I reread the original post it sounds like the system may be booting up, just no video. Have you tried a different gpu in the PCI-e slot? Once in a while you get a compatibility problem between video card and motherboard. I have that same model motherboard and have had only "0" problems with it.

YES

YEs it is plugged in lol ive been working on computers long enuff to not make a rokie mistake as simple as the cpu power being pluged in. and yes i have tried multiple vid cards, and also, it is either the ram or cpu all other componuts have been tested....

YEs it is plugged in lol ive been working on computers long enuff to not make a rokie mistake as simple as the cpu power being pluged in. and yes i have tried multiple vid cards, and also, it is either the ram or cpu all other componuts have been tested....

Try one stick of RAM at a time to help rule out either one. Unlikely that BOTH are bad.

already tested new ram and cpu no luck along with another vid card, psu, and hard drive.... nothing......
also tried outside of case with warning speaker didnt beep at all.

So you tried the CPU in question in another board and it worked okay?

ok let me go over everything ive done, lol here we go.
i have tested every single componet in another computer....
i have put another second AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE processor in it. and no luck i tried a diffrent psu, ram, cpu, HD, case, and all. i have had the mobo replaced twice.
also., a diffrent screen... and 3 diffrent grapghics cards.... if i list all the items i have in my pc could some please do some reasearch and back me up and see if its all compatible i know its simple but even expierenced users make small mistakes.
heres what i have.,..

Case: NZXT Gamma
Motherboard: ASRock 770 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor
Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-4GBPK
GPU: PNY XLR8 VCGGTX4601XPB-OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) OC 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
PSU: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply

like befor all this was checked to see if it was compatible several times :S i called the computer shop and they said the mobo was bad, but i dont see have two mobo in a row, ASRock is an okay brand first time ive delt with AsRock befor tho.... not sure as to what this can be???? :( very depressing... :S :fight: again BUMP.... The fact that i checked the grounding also in case took it out did some testing with case speakers, on both motherboards, and there was no beeps at all.... :S this normally means bad mobo or bad cpu is what ASRock tech support told me...?? any other thoughts?

i think you got another bad motherboard. it happens, I remember my 1st PC I built, I had a bad memory stick and it drove me nuts trying to hunt that sucker down.

Is the OP replacing the power supply with the same brand. If so I would use a Seasonic or Corsair. RAIDMAX HYBRID is known for being cheep but not quality. I think around $70.00.

Back