• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New fans? New case? Both? Water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CZory91

Registered
Currently I'm using a Lancool K62 and Venomous X-RT, all with stock fans on a 2600k. I'd like my temps and noise both to go down. Pushing close to 80C after a period of time in a Prime 12hr blend test on 1.36v @ 4.5GHz.

Edit: Water Cooling idea is out for now. Just hoping to replace fans, need suggestions, price is mostly irrelevant.
1: Is there any chance of dropping a very decent amount of temp through a re-haul of all the fans in this system (not GPU), including the VenX?

2: If not, would I be able to get anything better out of a different case? Complete set of aftermarket fans on that new case as well?

3: Water cooling, while not terribly cost efficient for what you're getting (Or is it? over a very large period of time perhaps?), how often do you have to spend money to maintain it? What all do you need to replace if for instance I would want to upgrade my board/CPU in the next few years, do I just get a new piece to attach to the new type of socket? Or is there more to it than just replacing what goes on the CPU? If I do end up going water, I want to do it right and will spend the money to do it right the first, and last time.

What I would really like to do is get new fans and just replace my stock ones, however I feel like that's not going to net me much in noise reduction and performance. Or would it? Water cooling's the easy out, but not for my pocket.

Dumb reason is dumb, but I have some money to blow. I want my noise and temps down. Water cooling seems very awesome and while making it easy to kill noise and drop temps, I would probably need/want a full tower to go along with water cooling which makes it look much less appealing, because then I'm buying two things I don't truly need. Anyone have opinions on fans? Could I do a lot better on a case? Is water cooling terribly cost inefficient in the long run? New to the forum, so any opinions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
1: Is there any chance of dropping a very decent amount of temp through a re-haul of all the fans in this system (not GPU), including the VenX?

Leave the sides off of the case and do another load test. If temperatures are drastically reduced, then yes. If they are still really high, then no.

2: If not, would I be able to get anything better out of a different case? Complete set of aftermarket fans on that new case as well?

See #1

3: Water cooling, while not terribly cost efficient for what you're getting (Or is it? over a very large period of time perhaps?), how often do you have to spend money to maintain it? What all do you need to replace if for instance I would want to upgrade my board/CPU in the next few years, do I just get a new piece to attach to the new type of socket? Or is there more to it than just replacing what goes on the CPU? If I do end up going water, I want to do it right and will spend the money to do it right the first, and last time.

It is cost efficient if it's fun to you. If it doesn't look interesting to you, then it's probably not worth the cash.

Whenever you want to upgrade, you generally just buy a cheap mounting kit for the new processor and use your old block. Your parts will last you a long time.

noise reduction and performance.

With air cooling, you pretty much have to choose between these two things.

Dumb reason is dumb, but I have some money to blow. I want my noise and temps down. Water cooling seems very awesome and while making it easy to kill noise and drop temps, I would probably need/want a full tower to go along with water cooling which makes it look much less appealing, because then I'm buying two things I don't truly need. Anyone have opinions on fans? Could I do a lot better on a case? Is water cooling terribly cost inefficient in the long run? New to the forum, so any opinions would be appreciated.

If it looks interesting, then do it ! You can do it without a case, or modify your current case, the possibilities are limited only by your creativity.

Is there anything with a clean look like the Corsair 800D that doesn't destroy cash in front of your eyes? Going to do that test when I get the chance over the weekend and see if I can get away with just fans/new case but water cooling is absolutely interesting to me. Problem being (everyone's problem), cost.

Unfortunately I don't like the 650D, compared to the 800D it's just not there in terms of looks. Absolutely hate the side pull-out tabs, front isn't as nice.
Why couldn't they just downsize the 800D :|

If you dont need for it to be a full tower check out the CM 690-II I have two of them both with full liquid cooling. My main rig has effectively 6x120 worth of radiator all internal.

Do you think it's better than my LC K62? In terms of generally everything, or at least noise/cooling? Would my case be able to be water cooled completely internally?

Seems like your Lancool K62 should be decent for watercooling. You should be able to get atleast a 2x120mm slim in the top, and either a 1x120 or 2x120 in the front depending on whether you want to remove or mod the drive cage. If you google the case model and watercooling there are a fair amount of images if you want an idea what other people have done.

The define R4 Black Pearl Windowed looks nice, however does it look as bulky as it seems in person in terms of width? Or is it just because it is a flat design? I think i'm going to try to stay away from water cooling for now, thinking about it even more; Going to stick to mid towers unless there are full towers that perform better with air cooling than any mid. What kind of performance/noise difference is the fractal in comparison to my LC62?

The panels on the fractal designs cases are heavy, and generally lined with a vibration absorbing material. This does not eliminate fan noise but it certainly helps to ensure the case is not amplifying the fan noise. Honestly you have a nice case, you could probably upgrade your fans and end up with the same performance as switching to a case that comes with nicer fans.

If noise reduction is your goal there are plenty of ways to do that without replacing your already pretty good case. Consider modding it. Rubber gaskets/fan mounts, higher effiency fans, upgrade CPU/GPU coolers, etc.

That's the initial route I was hoping to go. What kind of fans am I looking at for top performance? Right now I'm thinking these Silverstone APs for case fans, and a slip stream for my VX?

I always thought the Gentle Typhoons were for lower, more silent options? While I do want less noise/less noise per performance, won't they be less performance compared to other fans?
Edit: Ok, looking at this static pressure business. So there really is no other fan that is better for a heatsink you think in terms of noise/temp best overall while still maintaining my current OC?

Last edited:
Well if you look in photo no 2 i would try to find some high air flow fans and change the stock ones and put the new ones the same way as in the photo! Then i would take a rimmel and cut a hole in the side door to mount a fan blowing onto the CPU and GPU Slots as well!

P.S. To test out this answer try taking the door off and see if the Temps go down?

Attachments

• Philip's update Photo's 32.jpg
    Philip's update Photo's 32.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
  • Philip's update Photo's 7.jpg
    Philip's update Photo's 7.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Back