• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New fans? New case? Both? Water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's what I'm wanting to do, I'm asking for recommendation however at this point in terms of which to get. Looking at the Gentle Typhoons and trying to see if there's anything better for a HS in overall performance. As for case fans I was looking at the Silverstone AP's still, however kinda lost on that one and looking for what might be better. Cutting a hole on my case wouldn't be possible as I have the windowed version of the case.

Well just take a look at the photo's of my own set up i have posted! As for the fans look around and try to find ones with high air flow rates. On every fan sold they is a flow rate at certain speeds as a guide. Then try to match that with the reviews about how quite it is, its that simple.But the typhoons or other fans like that would help you, but there is so many to choose from. We could be here all day and next week. lol AJ.

1, http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2010/04/05233253331l.jpg

Has yours got the side window like this one?

Last edited:
Yes @ ajay

Any charts to look at for the yate loons giving comparison results? Such as:
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/120mm_and_140mm_fan_comparison,18.html
^ This was extremely helpful, for instance. Gentle Typhoons seem to destroy in terms of noise/temp ratio. Trying to dig around for case fan comparisons now.

http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-cooli...t-edition-high-static-pressure-120mm-fan.html
What's up with these for a HS fan?

If not, I'm pretty set on getting a Scythe GT for the HS, case fans are still up in the air. Still looking at these Silverstone air penetrators and wondering.

Silverstone AP fans are good as case fans. They move a good volume of air in a uniform way with a good airflow/noise ratio. TBH they are probably some of the best case fans because of the focused flow.

I wouldn't get those corsair fans for use on HS though. The Scythe GTs are definitely better for that task. They look like they are designed to be nice quiet case fans though.

You wont find Yate loons compared to much else other than different models of Yate Loon fans. They are cost effective, efficient, and rated honestly(something most MFG are not known for). No they are not the best fans on the market, but they are pretty damn close to the best deal possible.

You're overthinking this..it's a case fan. It's pushing against near zero restriction. And with case airflow, once you reach the level that's "sufficient", more airflow isn't going to change temps much, if at all. And that sufficient level is not very high at all. I'd just grab the low...they're a little more than $3 a fan, plenty quiet, and will fulfill your purpose sufficiently.

I always thought the Gentle Typhoons were for lower, more silent options? While I do want less noise/less noise per performance, won't they be less performance compared to other fans?
Edit: Ok, looking at this static pressure business. So there really is no other fan that is better for a heatsink you think in terms of noise/temp best overall while still maintaining my current OC?

Absolutely not! The GTs are heavenly fans, they are the , the best 25mm fans in my opinion.

There are better raw, tough fans for a heatsink, for pure performance, but, I'm afraid, you won't appreciate the noise of a 600rpm jet-like screamer. :D

I Think where here for a long night guy's like i said before too many fans and so many different opinions. lol :shrug: :facepalm:

Sorry just could not resist lol!

I hear you, i just have money to burn and there are no upgrades I want for this comp anymore other than just spicing it up a little while maintaining/increasing performance and dropping noise. So now i'm being picky with fans. Gentle Typhoon is as good as ordered. Probably getting the AP 141s/121s for the rest of the case.

Trinth just get the JT fans you said for the case and then drill four holes to mount the fan on the window, then mark it out using the fan. As a guide for the holes and just draw a line using a fan to make the circle. Then just drill holes inside the circle to make the vent holes for the air to flow through the perspex glass. Job done just fit the bolts like mine! AJ.

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NF-S12...e=UTF8&qid=1356210336&sr=8-2&keywords=nf-f12b
Getting this for my rear exhaust, Looking around it seems like these are better for open air (exhaust minus grill).

http://www.amazon.com/Scythe-Gentle...sr=8-1&keywords=scythe+gentle+typhoon+1450rpm
This for my heatsink, unfortunately they don't sell a step down in the models, which is what it seems I really would want. I'll live I suppose.

Going to keep the rest of the fans the same for now, possibly ordering more of the Noctua brands for the top and front intake if I see any sort of decent improvement, going to keep the LED stock ones for now.

Yes go get them ordered and fit them and see the difference buddy and still try the window if you want to. AJ.

Merry Xmas see you later got to go now late here in UK so bye for now good luck. from ME.

Last edited:
Back