• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Gaming Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Carpelini

Registered
Hello guys!

I´m planning a new Gaming Build it is as follows:

AMD FX-6300
Kingston HyperX 8Gb PC1600 CL9
Bitfenix Ronin
Corsair CX600M 600W 80 Plus Bronze Modular
SSD 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K
Asus Radeon R9 280X DirectCUII TOP 3072MB GDDR5
ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0
be quiet! Dark Rock PRO 3

I have a question regarding air flow.

I will have an exaust fan on the back 2 in takes on the front.

Should i have more exaust fans at the top?

Best Regards.

Couldn't hurt to have 1 more exhaust, but it's probably not absolutely necessary.

Are you going to be mining with the 280x? If you aren't, might as well go for the nvidia equivalent. It should be a bit cheaper unless you live somewhere where prices on AMD GPUs haven't been affected as much by the mining craze?

Otherwise, looks like a great budget-build!

The r9 280x has good price where i am.

So i should instal 2 exaust fans on top and it will be fine?

You could get away with just 1 exhausting out the top and 1 out the back. Your case looks like it has decent airflow, you only have 1 GPU, and you probably won't be overclocking that high on the CPU, so 2 exhausts fans will be plenty.

Ty for your reply i will post some pics and numbers when i have it all assembled. I think i can get to 4.7 easily on the cpu

I wouldn't try 4.7 on that motherboard. You'll start cooking VRMs.

It is my only fear ... btw a better board not much overpriced to go 4.7?

It is my only fear ... btw a better board not much overpriced to go 4.7?

GA-970A-UD3P

Its a new version of my board. I've benchmarked well into the 5GHz ranges. I can run 4.8GHz stable for 24/7 use.

Are you going to be mining with the 280x? If you aren't, might as well go for the nvidia equivalent. It should be a bit cheaper unless you live somewhere where prices on AMD GPUs haven't been affected as much by the mining craze?

Based on the 3GB of VRAM and the 384-bit interface, clock speeds aside, the only equivalent nVidia would be a 780 or 780ti, which are significantly more expensive. If OP is running anything higher than 1080p, the 280X would most likely be the best bang-for-buck card, would it not?

The equivalent nVidia, price-wise, would be a GTX 770, which should compete well against the 280X in benchmarks and most gaming. But the extra VRAM, extra Shader Cores, and wider memory bus of the 280X add up to being pretty advantageous, theoretically.

Aside from that, if you have 2 fans pulling air in, it's a good idea to have 2 fans pushing air out. So I would suggest adding a top exhaust, if you have the fan slot for it.

Based on the 3GB of VRAM and the 384-bit interface, clock speeds aside, the only equivalent nVidia would be a 780 or 780ti, which are significantly more expensive. If OP is running anything higher than 1080p, the 280X would most likely be the best bang-for-buck card, would it not?

The equivalent nVidia, price-wise, would be a GTX 770, which should compete well against the 280X in benchmarks and most gaming. But the extra VRAM, extra Shader Cores, and wider memory bus of the 280X add up to being pretty advantageous, theoretically.

As he mentioned, OP is somewhere else besides the US, so his prices aren't the same as these, but you can do better than a 280x for FAR cheaper.

This is the card the OP said he was getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121803

$486 in the US. 3GB of vram.

Here's an evga 770 4GB:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130945

on sale today for a great price of $380, but even when it isn't on sale, it's less than $400.

That's close to 25% savings. I have both cards and the 770 performs about 10-20% better in BF4 (similarly in other titles).

What happened to "4GB is a waste on the 760 and 770" hype that was all over this page a month or two ago?

I can have

EVGA GTX 770 4Gb Dual FTW Geforce Nvidia ACX Cooler €347
ASUS GTX 770 4Gb DirectCU II OC for €316.15
Asus Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II TOP 3GB for €244

The R9 280x pretty cheap

I will play 1080

Last edited:
What happened to "4GB is a waste on the 760 and 770" hype that was all over this page a month or two ago?

I don't know what you're referring to.

For 760, I could definitely see 4GB being overkill as you're likely maxing out what you're GPU core can accomplish before you max out the vram.

Only BF4 is using more than 2GB of vram and only on Ultra (2.5, I think?). A 760 likely wouldn't play the game at that level at an acceptable frame rate with 2GB or 4GB of vram.

770 on the other hand has the power to run the game on Ultra, so 2GB might be a "bottleneck".

I can have

EVGA GTX 770 4Gb Dual FTW Geforce Nvidia ACX Cooler €347
ASUS GTX 770 4Gb DirectCU II OC for €316.15
Asus Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II TOP 3GB for €244

The R9 280x pretty cheap

Your prices, Carp, appear to be the inverse of ours, with the 280x being less than the 770. If that's the case, the 280x is an obvious choice might be a better option.

EDIT: Probably a coin flip, tbh. At your prices, you can look back at any 280x vs. 7704gb discussion from before prices went up on AMD cards. There are pros and cons to each at their MSRPs.

Last edited:
I will go for the r9280x the price is great and it is a great GPU.

Back on subject i will order 2 exaust fans

be quiet! silentwings 2 120x120 one top and one rear

good choice?

the front in takes will be the ones with bitfenix ronin case

that statement Is for high resolutions...with ONE card as it doesn't have the horsepower. Context is critical.

Last edited:
I managed to get this at a great price

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0

i will go with this one i know i only need 970 chipset but it is at a great price.

and this one is a monster for OC

I managed to get this at a great price

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0

i will go with this one i know i only need 970 chipset but it is at a great price.

and this one is a monster for OC

It's only a monster if you have the cooling, these Fx cpu's get hot when you start putting your foot on their neck.

Hello again.

wath do you think about this mobo for the build?

ASROCK FATAL1TY 990FX KILLER

Can´t find reviews or information regarding OC with this mobo.

Back