• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Intel 650: X's New Chip.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
I bet I can get around 26 or 27 w/ a clean reformat with lockfree. Thats what im hoping for. Im only stalling cause of P95, 4.3ghz (15 hours will be a FOR sure)

LockFree? Are you using LockFree on a 650?

mm so you dont have any problem...
because i heard about sata bus failing with high OC,,in intel old chipset(915-925)

xTrEmEoVrClOcKr said:
You can with 0509 BIOS, I believe. I havn't used the BIOS yet, will update them tonight though.

LockFree is not enabled for the 650 in bios 0509 or 0512 to my knowledge.

Now Intel SpeedStep Minimum enables you to keep the multi at 14x once powered on, but the CPU is still powering on at 17x. Because of this, in order to boot at anything higher then around 14*266 requires a significant amount of vcore in order to boot because it's really booting at 17*266 which is up around 4.5ghz. But then a second later when SpeedStep knocks down the multi to 14x, you have all this extra vcore creating all this heat! Keep us posted!

Alright, I got 28.969 seconds, 4.512Ghz, memory @ 399 4-4-4-12.
28secs.jpg

EDIT* One problem with Ai Booster, it WONT let me go over 265FSB without restarting my PC, I guess its required -_-. I just want to do some 4.6ghz runs damn't, but I need to OC in windows to do max freqs, cause my 650 wont make it through windows @ 4.5 :-/

Last edited:
RangerXLT8 said:
LockFree is not enabled for the 650 in bios 0509 or 0512 to my knowledge.

Now Intel SpeedStep Minimum enables you to keep the multi at 14x once powered on, but the CPU is still powering on at 17x. Because of this, in order to boot at anything higher then around 14*266 requires a significant amount of vcore in order to boot because it's really booting at 17*266 which is up around 4.5ghz. But then a second later when SpeedStep knocks down the multi to 14x, you have all this extra vcore creating all this heat! Keep us posted!
what do you mean,, can i lower the multi without the posting first @17..

or is there a bios to fix that..

Hence the beauty of SetFSB :) XOCer: get it right now! The prog is mobo specific, so make sure to d/l the correct one. You can boot as low an FSB as you like via BIOS and then use SetFSB to increase clocks once you're in Windows and at 14x. It's kinda like AI Booster in what it does, but without all the memory hogging crap and once you set the FSB, you can close the prog and the FSB stays (unlike AIB). You can generally get at least 5-10FSB more OCing with SetFSB since your Vc is already "over-stated" to accomodate the default multi for the boot.

I boot at 300FSB and raise it afterwards....stock BIOS is only good to about 350FSB anyway. Just make sure to check "Ultra" before you hit Get FSB, otherwise it will only go to ~307FSB max. Ultra goes to 410FSB.

One thing I found out the hard way today is that SetFSB does NOT work on BIOS 0512. Whatever they changed in that update effected the SMBus and SetFSB errors out because of it. I have no problems with SetFSB on 0304 tho (default with my board). One thing I do like about 0512 is there are more mem ratios and at lower FSBs. Before I had to be running >300FSB to test DDR1000+ speeds...on 0512 I can do it at like 265.

what do you mean,, can i lower the multi without the posting first @17
No you can't and there's no fix. Even my 550 with a "real" LockFree boots at 17x and then switches to 14x. Google for a program called Rightmark CPU Clock Utility...it will show the current, boot, min and max multi's for your proc. I guarantee your boot multi is 17x.

0509 and 0512 BIOS are unofficial releases given to people privately and they made their way around the Net. AFAIK, they mostly fixed boot, RAID and SpeedStep issues. Why they are not officially released on ASUS' site is beyond me.

so if i use 0509 will i be ok..

or do you think i should do what you say,,,

SetFSB in windows..

I just primed overnight (6 hours / 9 min of sleep :(). No errors, just stopped it to get a screeny:

BTW, this is 4309mhz, just showing 3500 when idling at x14
Prime.jpg

Now, for user-friendly testing. My current setup:
Side.jpg
This is what im planning to do as far as modding goes:
Side2.jpg

The thing over the PSU is gonna be a duct from the back, getting direct airflow to the CPU since I dont feel like drilling into the side panel.

Right now, I have both side panels on with fan speeds on max. My temps are 55C load so far @ 4.2ghz, 1.4v. If they stay under 60C @ 75f room temps, ill keep it on.

eva-- I don't know about 0509 and SetFSB...I never tried it (don't have a working copy of the 0509 BIOS). You don't need to use SetFSB unless you want to OC past the max FSB BIOS can do OR if you want to use the extra Vc needed for boot to run an extra couple of FSB in Windows once you get to 14x.

XOCer-- sorry man, I thought you had a Premium. I probably wouldn't mess with the BIOS from the Prem then, but the SetFSB is probably still the same...I very much doubt they used different clock gen chips in the non-prem. Check the PLL chip on your mobo and see if it has the same ICS number (ICS954123).

Nice case ;) I cut 2x120mm blow holes on top like you (although further forward to hold a rad and clear the mobo) and they did squat for MB temps, but I am sure it helps the case overall. Yours might help more positioned that far back, but after testing a lot of locations, the side panel, back towards the end of the drive cage/where the wires come through the floor is about the ideal location (or right over the CPU/vid card). I didn't want fans/rad on the side either though :)

You might want to check Lian's site. The 2000 "plus" has a duct + blower to make the rear 120mm an intake and bring the air right onto the CPU area and then exits through the holes next to the PCI slots via a blower. I have no idea where you can buy that setup separately (maybe Lian directly?), but it would save you some cutting to achieve almost the same thing you plan. From that crappy pic, the duct looks like the stock one off the back of the V2000, so maybe you can move it inside and just add a blower up top. http://www.lian-li.com/Product/Chassis/S_V_S_PC-V2000plus.htm

You probably don't want to be sucking intake air from right next to the PSU exhaust anyway, especially if the case is backed close to a wall/cabinet...there's a lot of hot air back there.

Woot, just reformatted with NO tweaks (Except, I lowered the memory timings a bit). 4.5ghz seems to be the limit with "Ai Booster" SetFSB (With correct version) dosn't work either :(.
untitled.jpg

Nice job! Are you getting an SMBus error with SetFSB or it's just not doing anything? If it's an SMBus problem, you might want to try it on your default BIOS. If you're already on your default BIOS, you might want to give the one update ASUS has for the non-premium a shot. If it's just not doing anything at all, double check your PLL and see if there are any versions for that chip available....maybe check versions of ClockGen as well, but the last I looked they didn't even have anything for the premium version :rolleyes:

w00t.jpg

I get that SMBus error, and im using default BIOS. I'll try to get some later BIOS so I can use it, 4.6ghz runs will be easy with my 11.5C ambient temps (yes im insane lmao)

Dude. HTH do you get 11.5C ambient on air? Exactly how high up the mountain do you live? :)

Yeah, if it's an SMBus error, the issue is with the BIOS :(

BOO! Ghosts can cause a chill too! :)

Dude, let's see some video tweaking. You got that big bad 7800, and I wanna see some 10K+ 3D05 scores.

Super Pi is just pimpin' the system, 3D will set it free! :cool:

Man superpi really is FSB dependent... with 4.84 Ghz on my 660 i only get 27 and change... with a 955x and some nice ram i bet id get 25ish.

superpi144840.gif

Back