• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New MB needed for AMD FX8320

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The big question ........ do you plan on keeping this system long term or going with a different direction all together? Follow that up with do you plan or think you may like to Overclock beyond 4.5GHZ in the future?
That is a GREAT question bassnut, I think maybe a wise choice right now is to use the Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 for now with a better cooler. This would get me up and going to around that 4.5ghz, and maybe run this for a while until new CPU's come out from AMD/Intel

Otherwise the Asus board RGone has mentioned will work fine up to that 4.5GHZ ish area where we see the best performance increase without dealing with that massive CPU voltage jump and the heat that comes along with it. The only real disadvantage to Overclocking these FX CPU is the heat they create you will have to deal with that. One thing for certain if you decide you want to overclock even to that 4.5GHZ you will need some good cooling either an AOI like a corsair H100 or top a top end air cooler to purchase along with the board.
Rgone suggested a Cooler Master 212 EVO (about $35) That sounds like around $150 more I can get this rig running pretty well, certainly better than my old dual core pentium from 2002

If you think you will want to go beyond that 4.5GHZ and chase the big numbers then start planning on big cooling, think custom water cooling. Careful this hobby can be addictive and once you get bit also expensive chasing those big numbers. Either way you decide and there will be someone here that can help you make some good decisions on the parts you buy so you don't spend money on parts you don't need or are not good for the build.
Now THIS could be a problem, I do have an addictive personality. Good news is it seems like I have found a REALLY great group of helpful guys here

I upgraded my PSU to the Corsair CX750M you see below. It has plenty of power, but I bought it a Best Buy while in my ignorance and I don't want anymore problems, and PSU's are fairly cheap. Should I upgrade this?

A lot of that depends on your chip. That range should be do able with an average chip and a hyper 212. Personally for me when it comes to cooling more is never too much.

I know this...

...should be touched on also.

RGone...

Trents case airflow picture.

attachment.php

Always looking...

...FrostyTech Mk.II Synthetic Thermal Heatsink Test Results

I try and keep up with the heatsinks for AMD as Frostytech adds them to their full on list of later tested coolers.

At one time before there began to be so many AiO water coolers, just the H-100, H-60 and the like this Xigmatek SD128264 Aegir was still ranked as the best air cooler for AMD cpus. I bought one which I wrote about in my long thread in AMD mobo section and it did manage to keep my FX-8350 cool at 4.8GHz. I bought it because of its ranking at Frostytech and was not disappointed. BUT knowing the 4.8GHz cpu speed I wanted to manage...well I ordered a "pull" fan and ran it that way. Heat is not linear with a heavily overclocked AMD FX processor. Heat goes just like voltage goes in stairstepped rises. Okay with heat at one speed and Vcore and up the Vcore and speed and a big jump in heat. So I knew to get push/pull and did so and never have run it push only. Not buying for fun but to get 4.8GHz to run P95 Blend for at least 2 hours within the good heat range.

Anyway you can view the ranking of most of the popular air cpu coolers and the some of he later AiO coolers that have pushed ALL of the air coolers down in the ranking. Some of the later "big" Cooler Master air coolers now out cool the CM 212 EVO in the rankings but they are still not nearly as cheap as the once oh so popular CM 212's.

I have thought long about the Coolermaster 140XL since it ranks so well but you need a 140mm fan location for mounting. Most likely upright and out the rear. And not knowing MrEd's case for real, I am tending to steer away from 240 type rad setups. I have seen many getting good results with the Kraken X60 but mounting seems unknown for MrEd currently. And tried to keep in mind that his case is only 7.7inches wide.

Reasonably inexpensive but with a fair chance to reach 4.3GHz plus without beginning all over again, has been my thoughts.

RGone...

EDIT:
This will cool 4.5GHz. At a price. Have to be sure of height fitment.

Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

END EDIT.

Last edited:
The hyper212's have been one of the best bangs for the $$$$ over the last couple years. We have had hundreds of new users come through the AMD section looking for help only to find their cooling not up to par. The 212's have been a good entry model for the average user that is not looking to OC very much and in your case is most likely adequate for your go of 4.3 - 4.5 GHZ with proper airflow as mentioned above.

If you go this route keep in mind this is also chip related as we cannot tell till you actually do overclock what kind of speed you can get but a fair guess based on the many that have preceded you. The drawback of the 212's is we are talking max OC when saying most likely 4.3 - 4.5 GHZ so should you want to go higher a new cooler will be needed as well as running a cooler and their fans maxed out noise will also increase. A better cooler as Johan was getting at will help in both regards to some extent.

Back