• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Member Welcome Mat !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello all, MFNG here! I'm running a Thermaltake Bigwater 850 GT.... condolences are accepted, thank you in advance. I'm here to hopefully understand more about LCS systems, what products are tried and true, and a larger understanding of why people risk OC'ing. I'll start off with a quick and funny personal story to break the ice.
The first and last PC I tried to OC literally burst the power supply into a flame tornado as I was watching helplessly through the plexiglass I had mounted on the side of the computer. Four speed fasteners secured the plexiglass to the frame of my computer, and every one of them felt like an eternity twisting them out, and each subsequent fastener felt like it took twice as long as the one before. So what is that? Eternity to the 16th power I believe. I was in college studying CG animation at the time, and I didn't necessarily have the money for replacement hardware, so if you can imagine what kind of mortifying expression I had painted all over my face, then your probably not far off from what I'm sure was a priceless moment lost in time. There where so many different thoughts running through my mind from the idea that I had destroyed every piece of hardware in my tower to simultaneously thinking that the fire was going to get out of control quickly and catch the house on fire. I had 2 roommates atthat time and I was just imaging all of us standing homeless in front of ash. I remember that I got the fire put out quickly enough, and as hard as I'm trying, I can't remember exactly how I put the fire out. I probably threw a glass of water on it or something so primordial and outlandish like that. So the fires out, I managed not to electrocute myself in the process and the sinking reality sets in, I was looking at the aftermath of a war zone. I could still hear some snap, crackle, and pop coming from inside the power box, the plexiglass had a 120mm fan attached to it, certainly the cause of the firenadoe that looked like some majestic imp demon dancing around in my tower laughing at me, and the scorching marks across the inside of my tower looked like a mortar shell hit it, and that's not to mention that I was pretty sure that the imp demon had tried to poison me by leaving behind the most obnoxious chemical smell that is still lingering in my olfactory membrane. Most everything in that tower was trashed however I was able to save my HDD's that contained all of my college projects up to that point. I believe it was 3 years worth of college projects contained on both of them, pretty much countless man hours. I wished I could explain in a way that just one person could understand what I saw when I opened up my power supply to find out what kind of damage it caused. I have never seen a power supply box look anything like it before or since then.
Well I hope you got a chuckle or at least some minor amusement from my ignorance and stupidity. I wished I could keep it simple and just say that my parents where brother and sister but they aren't, it was simply to much curiosity and not enough wisdom...

Welcome 3DCrakin! Let's hope we can prevent that from ever happening again. There are a lot of Great PSU's out there and several Fire Hazards as well. Great to have you here.

:shock: Wow that's quite the horror story 3DCrakin. I'm glad you were able to save your projects, that's something unreplaceable.

:welcome: to OCF, we'll lead you to a proper PSU for your rigs :)

Hey there! n00b here to OCing, but not so n00bish with building PCs :)

Happy to be here, and hoping to get some good OCing pointers from the pros.

Hello to you all. I've been a dirty little lurker for many years now. Today I decided to shed my lurker skin and say, "Hello!" I may not be able to provide much in the way of pearls of wisdom, but I can certainly sit quietly in a corner and read everyone else's.

Hi everyone :D

I have read A LOT on this site over the years, but decided to go from lurker to registered today.

About to get a new beast of a PC and going to be doing a lot of checks and ask a lot of questions here :D

Hi StefanFrost -- welcome to the OC forum, we're glad to have you.

:welcome:

Oooo, new hardware! Fun! :) I hope you enjoy it and be sure to let us know how it goes. :)

Back