• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Members Post here,...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got back into folding not long ago. Its been years, back when I quit I was pulling 100k ppd with more then one system, now my one system is pulling 350k ppd.

I can't fold 24/7, wish I could. The heat would kill my rig and family. No AC in my home and 600w of heat being dumped out is not a good idea.
I mostly fold over night, on coolers days and wile everyone is at work. So maybe 12hr 5 days week.

Greetings. Now that it's getting cold outside, I've cranked up my heater; the one with 3 x GTX1080 in it. At some point I'll need to finish installing my custom water cooling loop so I can put a 4th 1080 in, but that's for really cold nights.

BTW, does this team also participate in BOINC, including their team contests?

Greetings. Now that it's getting cold outside, I've cranked up my heater; the one with 3 x GTX1080 in it. At some point I'll need to finish installing my custom water cooling loop so I can put a 4th 1080 in, but that's for really cold nights.

BTW, does this team also participate in BOINC, including their team contests?

Welcome to the team makr. Along with the Folding Team we have a SETI Team and a Rosetta Team. You can see the list here.
https://www.overclockers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/37-Distributed-Computing-Teams

After dragging my feet I've added my 3970X to the team.

I have an APC 1350 supplying the power needs to my system, and when I added my VEGA 64 to the mix it's alarm tripped w/ in 10 seconds LMAO... I guess a 3970X and VEGA 64 on full blast isn't going to happen right now hahahaha

Last edited:
After dragging my feet I've added my 3970X to the team.

I have an APC 1350 supplying the power needs to my system, and when I added my VEGA 64 to the mix it's alarm tripped w/ in 10 seconds LMAO... I guess a 3970X and VEGA 64 on full blast isn't going to happen right now hahahaha

365716 is impressive for a CPU on just 32 cores, my 4P with 64 cores comes close to that at about 250k +/-, have you opened it up with 64 threads?

365716 is impressive for a CPU on just 32 cores, my 4P with 64 cores comes close to that at about 250k +/-, have you opened it up with 64 threads?

It's actually higher than that, I'm still messing with the settings. I'm seeing if I can undervolt my VEGA 64 as well to have them both running but it looks like that generates a ton of heat and is a big power drain. I"ll update later today.

Looks like after it settled down it's in the 600,000 range just for the Threadripper 3970X w/ the setting for the folding client set to full.

View attachment 208246

Last edited:
Sweet. Did it default to 32 or did you set it that way? Using the SMT threads would bump it up a bit further, but not by a huge amount (maybe 20%).

Sweet. Did it default to 32 or did you set it that way? Using the SMT threads would bump it up a bit further, but not by a huge amount (maybe 20%).

It shows the default maximum of 32

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

600k on a CPU!?

That's 1070ti territory...

I turned on my VEGA 64 and it was getting 1,100,000 PPD vs the 600,000 PPD of the 3970X

Did you try and set it to 64? That CPU has 32 cores/64 threads.

yeah it wants to stay at -1 and then shows that 32 is the maximum.

In the end, w/ my VEGA 64 and manually setting it to 16 cores w/ the slider on full i'm doing about 1,500,000 PPD w/ the 3970X doing 230w and the VEGA64 doing 210w, plus the monitors and a few other things my UPS says I'm sucking 775w so that's enough when it maxes out at 810w lol.

yeah it wants to stay at -1 and then shows that 32 is the maximum.

In the end, w/ my VEGA 64 and manually setting it to 16 cores w/ the slider on full i'm doing about 1,500,000 PPD w/ the 3970X doing 230w and the VEGA64 doing 210w, plus the monitors and a few other things my UPS says I'm sucking 775w so that's enough when it maxes out at 810w lol.

It will go to 64, just use the arrow buttons or just type in the box 64. All that -1 does is lets the client choose up to 32 cores by default even if there is more than 32 cores, in this case 64 threads.
You use is as you have it now but some of us want to know what that monster will do on 64 threads :rofl:

BTW: do you have hyperthreading turned off in the BIOS?
SMT Mode
Allows you to enable or disable the CPU Simultaneous Multi-Threading technology. (Default: Auto)

Last edited:
After some research this will only go to 32. Apparently others with older threadrippers use the max of 32 for Folding@Home and then use another 32 threads for Rosetta to get 100% CPU usage.
Yes those arrows let you select more than 32 threads but when you try to save that it just errors out prompting that 32 threads is the maximum. When I'm rendering or doing a blender benchmark all 64 threads are used so it's just the limitations of Folding@home.

After some research this will only go to 32. Apparently others with older threadrippers use the max of 32 for Folding@Home and then use another 32 threads for Rosetta to get 100% CPU usage.
Yes those arrows let you select more than 32 threads but when you try to save that it just errors out prompting that 32 threads is the maximum. When I'm rendering or doing a blender benchmark all 64 threads are used so it's just the limitations of Folding@home.

You right but, I'm using 7.1.52 and it lets me use all 64 cores on my 4P server boards on 1 CPU slot. I installed 7.4.4 and it only let me use 32 for 1 CPU slot, so you could make 2 CPU slots with 32 cores and see what it does.

You right but, I'm using 7.1.52 and it lets me use all 64 cores on my 4P server boards on 1 CPU slot. I installed 7.4.4 and it only let me use 32 for 1 CPU slot, so you could make 2 CPU slots with 32 cores and see what it does.

ok that's interesting. If I make 2 CPU slots w/ 32 threads each it uses about 55% of CPU power, but if I make 3 CPU slots then it hits 100%. ok Interesting. Right away it's showing 1,000,000 PPD w/ all 32c/64t being utilized. I'll leave it like this for a bit and see what it levels out to.

Back