• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New memory upgrade affecting overclock settings(Need Help!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, it looks as if I have found my sweet spot on my settings finally. CPUz shows my settings... and I figured out why my cpu temp was getting so high. I pulled my fan completely out and found my thermal compound was just about completely deteriated away and alot of dust underneith it. I cleaned the fan out and put a new coating of Arctic Silver compound and Ive got at least a 10 deg drop in temp at idle and 20-30 deg drop in temp under a full load from where it was running at. Big difference!! System is running stable now, even with a very high HT link frequency... Ram cas timings are clocked down to 4-4-4-12, @ 533Mhz with voltage set at 2.1v from 5-5-5-18. Couldnt get it to run stable anything above 280 fsb, even after raising the NB/SB chip voltage. Im gonna leave it where its at and monitor how it does for awhile. This thing is blazing fast compared to what it was b4 I started messin with it.:burn: :clap:
cpuz1.jpg

cpuz2.jpg

coretemp.jpg

I do have one last question while we are on the subject of overclocking if someone can help me out with this.....

Does it do any good to overclock the PCIe bus, if I already have my GPU overclocked? Wasnt sure if it would help with the speed of the bus and video rendering to improve the lagging issue on Black Ops.

I'm not even sure why they include that option in BIOS. I've never seen any tests that showed it helping at all.

Yeah, same here. Just thought maybe it "might" help.. I have run it at 2625Mhz up from stock 2500Mhz and it seems there is a little bit of improvement, but wasnt sure about overall system performance.

**One last question....with the settings I have set above on CPUz....I am now having "cold boot" issues, when I hit the power button from a completely shut down state, everything powers up but my monitor and keyboard doesnt come on and system will not Post. When I hit the reset button, it then comes up and says it failed post boot, I go into my bios, and make no changes and then hit F10 and then boots just fine. After that, the system reboots with no problems and/or errors... What could be causing this and is there something I need to do to avoid this from happening every time I do a cold boot?:confused:

Hmmm, I don't know what setting you're referring to in BIOS with a stock speed of 2500 MHz??? Nothing that I know of. The PCIe bus has a stock speed of 100 MHz - always has.

The boot issue could be any little thing, probably not quite enough voltage somewhere. At least, that's usually the problems with the reset issue - machine will cold boot but not reset.

Hmmm, I don't know what setting you're referring to in BIOS with a stock speed of 2500 MHz??? Nothing that I know of. The PCIe bus has a stock speed of 100 MHz - always has.

Yeah, my bad... I meant to say its running at 105Mhz, which shows 2625Mhz in my Nvidia control panel. Seems to run pretty smooth at that setting.
I cold booted my system after I got home this afternoon and it booted up just fine without having to reset it....very weird.:-/

I wouldn't push it too far. I have heard of people running them close to 110 but 110 and up seems to be unstable. I think the people I've seen play with it benched it and it didn't help - but if it's helping your stability that's a good thing! :)

Ive got it set at 104Mhz which is 2600Mhz actual clock speed. This is more than sufficient for me... I do see what ur saying about pushing it too far...havent noticed any difference from where its at now or at 110.

Anyone else who has Black Ops experiencing alot of lag even after the latest patches?? Ive done everything from tweeking my system to tweeking the config_mp file, but just cannot get rid of all the lag...seems to be better than it was b4 the tweeking, but still needs improvement.. any ideas??

Back