• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New MOBO not booting.............

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrEd

Registered
So I got my new ASUS M5A99FX and cannot get it to boot. It will not go into BIOS unless I reset the CMOS memory. Here is where I am at the moment:
  • Reset CMOS, go to BIOS, reset to default, save and exit, blank screen, no HD sounds, just fans running
  • Reset..... in BIOS tryed CSM, on/off/auto same blank screen
  • tried fast boot on and off
  • Thought MOBO was bad, returned for new one, same issue
Running out of ideas. Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

PS When reinstalling old gigabyte MOBO, everything works. (Note: new PSU installed: Seasonic G series 550)

Wait, are you having issues getting to the BIOS or to Windows?

sound like he has not reinstalled windows or at least uninstalled all the gigabyte drivers and software.

Wait, are you having issues getting to the BIOS or to Windows?

Both really, I can get to BIOS by resetting the CMOS only. And then can get into BIOS, I have discovered if I hit F8 boot menu and click on the HDD it will boot. If I don't force it into BIOS it does nothing, blank screen only.

- - - Updated - - -

sound like he has not reinstalled windows or at least uninstalled all the gigabyte drivers and software.

I got the system to boot going into BIOS and then boot menu and hitting my HDD and it goes to windows. I DID NOT uninstall gigabyte drivers, I don't see any in the device manager. Somewhere else I should look for them? Also went to control panel and found no gigabyte software there.

please go into bios and be sure your boot drive is plugged into the sata 1 port, or at least one of the two at the top of the ports, up by the gpu.

you need to go into programs and features and remove the chipset driver, the usb driver and the lan driver.

actually on that board sata port 1 and 2 are the bottom ones i have that board

When you say you returned for a new one is there any chance you got the same board back? Was it retail or Asus rma?

When you say you returned for a new one is there any chance you got the same board back? Was it retail or Asus rma?

Impossible, got new board before returning old one. Bought through Amazon.

This shouldn't be happening.

Like was asked before, have you tried assembling outside the case?

Have not tried this yet................

- - - Updated - - -

please go into bios and be sure your boot drive is plugged into the sata 1 port, or at least one of the two at the top of the ports, up by the gpu.

I like this idea, I assume you meant to go to the MOBO hardware, not bios. I am in port 5 now, will try port 1, and maybe without the optical drive even plugged in. (Downloading something now, will try later today). Thanks for all the ideas.

I am in port 5 now, will try port 1, and maybe without the optical drive even plugged in. (Downloading something now, will try later today). Thanks for all the ideas.
Boot drive should be on 1st Gray port.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I moved the HDD power on the ASUS M5A99FX mobo from pin 5 to pin 1 and no change.

What it is doing:
  • Turn computer off and then on, blank screen, HDD "feels" like it is running from touch
  • Turn computer off, move jumper on MOBO to wipe cmos, power on and get a screen to allow me to go to setup, Then hit F8 and click on HDD, boots normally
  • IF I do above and change anything in bios and hit save and exit, blank screen, start over, thus far, above action is only way I can boot my system to windows

I tried above move of power for HDD, and tried to boot without the optical drive, no go. I have not tried the remove chipset from old MOBO as I cannot figure out where it is. Any further thoughts??

Just wondering - After looking at the system specs in your sig, I'm wondering if your PSU is really capable of handling the build as you have it listed. :shrug:

550W may not be enough to let it run as it should and could be causing the issues you have.
Even if the PSU should be big enough, if a given rail in the PSU isn't up to task for handling the power load of a given component/circuit that can cause problems too. With the 8350 and the GTX 970, you do have a bit of a load on the PSU but then again maybe it's not enough of a power draw to make it act up at default settings.... Or at least it shoudn't I would think.

Just wondering - After looking at the system specs in your sig, I'm wondering if your PSU is really capable of handling the build as you have it listed. :shrug:

550W may not be enough to let it run as it should and could be causing the issues you have.
Even if the PSU should be big enough, if a given rail in the PSU isn't up to task for handling the power load of a given component/circuit that can cause problems too. With the 8350 and the GTX 970, you do have a bit of a load on the PSU but then again maybe it's not enough of a power draw to make it act up at default settings.... Or at least it shoudn't I would think.

125W CPU + 140W GPU
Nowhere near the power limit, and that's a quality unit.
IIRC it's the G-550, which is a single 12V rail for 540W.

Since that was a prebuilt that you are upgrading, the original OS was likely installed as a GPT partition. I'm not personally familiar with them since I don't use them but IIRC they start initiating the mobo and boot at the same time. Is it possible that the Giga/Asus could be a conflict in that situation and Windows may need a full re-install? Or at the least all drivers removed from the system. I might also suggest making sure that the Asus BIOS is current for Win8.1. If that board has been around for a while it might need an update.

Back