• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've said all I want to say about it. But I want you to know there is nothing personal. I always enjoy a spirited discussion.

I can find agreement with both of you!

I agree with Trents the EVGA is NOT a major player in motherboards. The offer only a few models and the sell only a few of them. If there's a 4th major player in the motheboard market, it would have to be ASRock, not EVGA. EVGA is a major player in the GPU market!

But, I agree with EarthDog that the number of different models produced by Asus, Gigabyte and MSI for a single Intel chipset is indeed insane. And 10 from each including ATX, mATX and ITX would be plenty!

Yeah, I would agree that an argument can be made that the big players have over done it a bit. But I'd rather have it that way than to have too few choices.

The big players must be selling all there choices because they keep up the motherboard variety. Maybe EVGA is not selling enough and they will discontinue the motherboard line like Intel did.

Most top sellers have way too many motherboard models and it wouldn't be any issue if not the fact that more motherboards = worse support for each of them. On the other hand EVGA has only few models per generation and their motherboard support and final products are just average and never were the best. They had models which were performing good or dual CPU motherboards which were interesting for some users but nothing they did was beating top ASUS or ASRock boards ... and prices were usually higher than something better from competition.

I've noticed over the years the company's use about the same Bios in each motherboard they just allow folks to accesses the hidden settings and more options in the more expensive motherboards. So all they have to do is tweak the Bios for each motherboard if it uses different components and when they have a major problem they update all the motherboards Bios. I like all the 13 Gigabyte Z270 ATX motherboard variety's, especially the lowest cost boards, there is something for everyone. I have gone 15 years with overclocking on $100.00 motherboards and never had a problem with Bios or boards where the company left me behind.

Last edited:
Back