• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New OC hope this will work i7 920 on Gigabyte EX58UD3R

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jarablue

Registered
Hey guys. I am new to overclocking the i7s. Basically I have been oc'ing to 3.2 with the retail intel heatsink with no issues. I just bought a Scythe Mugen 2 Heatsink and a Silverston FM121 fan for it. The motherboard I am using is Gigabyte EX58-UD3R and Corsair XMS3 memory.

The cpu is Intel i7 920 FPO/Batch# - 3901A257 Bloomfield D0 stepping Packaged in Costa Rica on 5/12/2009. Is this a good candidate to get to 4gig? I am on 3.2 air now with 47-52c temps.

If you guys could give me any tips/rec I would appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!

:)

Set your bclk to 200, slow your ram down to compensate, set vCore to 1.3V... it should boot. You can then tweak the voltage lower/higher, as every chip will be different. The stock cooler will probably not be able to handle 1.3V, so I would definitely get the Scythe on there. 4ghz from a DO chip is a cake walk. I haven't seen a DO yet that can't pull 4ghz 24/7 stable.

Hello jarablue, i have the same CPU and Motherboard than you.
I would not add 1.3v and 200 BCLK in one step because of what i will say next.

I hope this info can help you, these are my Motherboard settings.
Set BCLK to 180
Performance Enhance to Extreme
DRAM Tuning selectable Expert
CPU Vcore 1.75000
Other voltages leave on Auto.
Keep in mind that as you increase your BCLK FSB it will automatically increase your memory too, so lower your memory to stock for a start and set timings manually on stock timings too. I am not sure how much you can push your memory, but don't care until you find a stable OC without changing them.

Go over the CPU Features and disable everything but Hyper threading and Intel CPU BOOST.

I can run 3.8 Ghz with that really low voltage, %100 stable and with max temp of 80 degrees using Prime. Consider that Prime burns the cores and you will probably get like 15 degrees less doing something else.
You also need to know that what works for somebody doesnt for somebody else, because OC is a test and fail job...

Also, be sure to use a decent thermal paste ( spread it well ) and not a silent CPU Cooler as Schyte does ( i have Kabuto and it came with a 1300 RPM fan ) and if you don't care about noise wich is not really bad because when you game or listen to music you don't even notice that the PC is turned on.

Hope this can help you.

I'm using Arctic Silver 5 (grey) paste. The memory I am using is Corsair XMS3. Thanks for the help. Just waiting for the UPS guy to deliver it!

:)

Well, that is a good paste. Did you OC to 3.6 + Intel CPU Boost as i told you?
Get a 1500A ups... otherwise it will be useless!

I have it at 200 bclk now. After about an hour 1 core fails. I think it may need some more voltage. What do you guys think?

Set BCLK to 180
Performance Enhance to Extreme
DRAM Tuning selectable Expert
CPU Vcore 1.75000
Other voltages leave on Auto.

I hope that you meant 1.25 because you run that through an I7, you can then tell me how big the poof of smoke is that comes off of the CPU.

OP, what speed and volts you have your memory at? 1.3v should be way more than enough to get 4.0. Here are my settings for 4.01 (21x191) if that helps:

65913839.jpg

Last edited:
And performance enhance to standard. 1.3v is not bad to start with. once you get it to prime at 4ghz you can turn it down a notch at a time to find the lowest possible voltage. I also disagree with setting any voltages to auto. last i heard it always gives too much juice.

And performance enhance to standard. 1.3v is not bad to start with. once you get it to prime at 4ghz you can turn it down a notch at a time to find the lowest possible voltage. I also disagree with setting any voltages to auto. last i heard it always gives too much juice.

Yep, if i set VCore on Auto it will pump the VCore to 1.35 at only 3.6 o_O, but the other voltages except memory i have no clue.
I will try what you said about the Ehnance, btw, what is that?

i'm not sure what it does but i don't like settings that do mysterious things. i cant remember all the bios settings right off hand but heres some key ones

bclk 191
turbo on
ram multi x8
uncore x16
qpi link x16 (i think?)

sorry i just woke up ill post again in awhile after i double check

Last edited:
Back