• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEW Opty 165 Build! Time to see what this proc can do!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i have the same stepping as you, only its a 175 not 165. My stock load temps are ~43c. running at 2.8ghz on stock volts it reaches ~50 and at 3.0Ghz on 1.525v its hit 60 in a few seconds. 60 is my absolute limit, but it should be safe to go higher theoretically.

This stepping is good. You should reach 2.8 or so on stock volts or close to, but you will find that voltage increase after that is pritty dramatic. Like i said, 2.8 on 1.35v is stable, but 3.0 (only 200mhz more) is not stable at 1.525v!

you should be able to hit 2.8ghz on stock or close to stock volts. heat becomes a issue when you start to increase voltage then you might want to consider better cooling, not to say that your XP-120 is bad, just that it might not be enough for dualcore CPUs.

also like Hipcrostino said, if you can hit 2.8ghz on stock volts its not worth it to hit 3ghz with 1.5+ volts. the extra 200mhz is not worth the extra heat.

same stepping/board and im at 2880mhz 9x320 @ 1.4v forget which ram divider im running. with this dfi board i couldnt get it over 2.6gig without the tmods bios CD. i dont know if it was the cpu/board/ram that was the problem but i used the most updated bios for the expert on that CD and it was golden. i can boot in at 3000mhz but i get errors really fast. my temps hit 55C load @ 1.4v so i dont wana up it anymore untill i get better cooling but im sure this stepping can hit 3gig stable.

bios for the expert on that CD and it was golden.
How could i get my hands on this bios??? I haven't flashed the bios of this board yet because i havent seen any reason to, but does anyone else think this is necessary or a good idea? I have yet to see if i run into that same wall as you did Gods_oMekone.

Although it sounds reasonable to leave the volts at stock and get 2.8 out of the chip, i really wanna see how far i can push it before i back it down and settle. Im going to buy a stronger 120mm exhaust fan, and install a NV Silencer on my vid card so that the heat will be exhausted from the case, rather than inefficiently just blowing around in there. I dont know how big of a difference this will all make but i bet it will be pretty significant.

TCaseMax=65°C
This is the maximum external temperture the outside (aka the part touching the heatsink) of the processer should safely reach.

Ok, so to get this straight, what does that mean the maximum core temp would be??

O.C.CaTaLYsT said:
Ok, so to get this straight, what does that mean the maximum core temp would be??

No one knows exactly for AMD. For Conroes, Tjunction is apparently 85°C, so use that as a guide, as I'd assume they are similar - silicon is silicon, after all.

aiya said:
you might want to consider better cooling, not to say that your XP-120 is bad, just that it might not be enough for dualcore CPUs.
heat.

I was under the impression that it was a really good heat sink. Does anyone have a recommendation of one that would be really good and do the job?

ok back to the clocking! Im finding my memory's maximum now. with my ballistix at 3-3-3-8 1T(stock) 2.8v (stock) i ran them at 250 (this is pc-4000 so it was stock) and no problems w/ memtest or prime in windows. Got a little cocky and put it to 275 where it wouldnt even boot memtest. Tried increasing votage to 2.93 and it still wouldn't boot memtest!:bang head Turned it down to 270 @ 2.8 again and it was unstable in memtest so i tried up to 2.93 V but still memtested for a couple minutes and then failed. Right now i'm at 265 3-3-3-8 T1 2.8V and it seems to be stable in memtest for a while. I was kinda reluctant to loosen timings because im lazy, its a little complicated, and i wanted to see what they would do with stock timings. Anyways, where should i start with loosening up the timings? How do you guys choose which timing to loosen up first?

Thanks for the help guys!

im not really sure, but i ordered them in early january directly from crucial if that makes any difference. Is the only way to find this out to take the heat spreaders off??

Crucial Ballistix PC3200 - Micron 5B G

Crucial Ballistix PC4000 - Micron 5B G

Crucial PC3200 - Micron 5B C/Micron 5B G

Crucial Ballistix PC-4000 Z503 - Micron - 4Y/5B D

Crucial Ballistix Tracer - Micron - 4Y/5B D

Crucial Value - Micron - 4Y/5B D

That was taken from the sticky in the memory section.

My team group has micron 5b f chips and it is currently sitting pretty at 272mhz at 2.88volts. I believe the chips are closely related overclocking wise.

O.C.CaTaLYsT said:
Opteron 165 CCBBE 0615DPMW stepping and 2 gb of crucial ballistix memory all on a DFI LP Expert.

that setup should do 3ghz +/- 200mhz. you got an excellent stepping with the CCBBE 0615DPMW. defintely capable of 3ghz.

just FYI your XP120 is more then enough for a good overclock. i run my opty 165 @ 2.6ghz w/ 1.45v with an XP90 and temps barely reach 50c load

O.C.CaTaLYsT said:
my temps are reaching 58 load right now with my xp120 with stock volts... :(

I think this demonstrates the point that each chip, even from the same stepping, is different in terms of actual overclocking ability (as opposed to potential overclocking ability).

There are simply too many variables in overclocking.

tbh 58x with an xp120 on stock volts sounds more like a bad mount or convex/concave heatsink or IHS, check em both another thing to check is the fan does it do the required rpm/ work at all?

"tbh 58x with an xp120 on stock volts sounds more like a bad mount or convex/concave heatsink or IHS," "fan does it do the required rpm?"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

agreed, the XP120 is a royal biatch to attach, at least the early issues were.

i would be checking the attachment first, something's is amiss....and the fan can make a huge difference....

baldy

I have this EXACT board and an Opteron 165 0610DPMW along with 2GB of G.skill PC4000 HZ
I found that TmodsCD or whatever the latest bios on there was the best I believe its the 10.7.2006 one.
My current settings are:
318HTT clock @ 3x multi...putting the cpu close to 2.865ghz and the voltage I have is 1.43v - setting of I think of 1.45 or 1.475v in bios.
RAM is @ 260mhz 2.7v 3 4 4 8 on this board.
My chip does 2.8ghz @ 1.37v

OC'in these opterons with low multipliers is REALLY easy on this board, this board for me is a dream...Ive seen posts of this board comfortably reaching 400HTT speeds - this is nice cuz now you know that when you reach a unstable point of oc'n these puppies you know for almost certain that its not the board holding you back.
This was the case with my old RS482 DFI infinity board...it crapped out seriously at about anything +300HTT speed...my system was crashing all the time with same voltages and everything on that board...it could only do like 290mhz nice and stable for me...I had a feeling and hoped it wasnt my processor crapping out and in getting this DFI lanparty expert...I was relieved that my CPU could go way higher than I hoped =)
So these boards are REALLY nice! once you find the right bios and such.

Last edited:
Back