• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig finished !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheWizzard

Registered
Hi all !

I have finally assembled the new seticruncher.

It's basically a 2600K, currently at 4,5Ghz.
Coolermster HAF chassie, Corsair 1200w power
8Gb RAM. a 560Ti and 2 old GTX 295's that i
bought cheap. I hope this rig will help me climb
the team ranks again and contribute to seti and
the team.

One problem though, everithing is setup right as far
as i can see, latest boinc software and latest lunatics
optimized client. Boinc reports correctly in the event log
all 5 GPU's.

CPU is crunching away but the GPU's are sittting idle.
Am i doing anything wrong here or should i wait for
GPU work to download ? Have scanned the forum and
seen that it isn't always so easy to get work for the
GPU's ?

The Wizard

Check your message log in the SETI project, it will reflect that your client connected to the project, requested GPU work, and the reply that no work was available. If your text reflects that your system is not requesting work then there is a configuration problem.

Hi !!

It was as i suspected, no work available. During the day it has downloaded some 20-30 units for the Nvidia GPU's so configuration wise all is ok.

IT seems an awful waste though to have 5 gpu cores and nothing to
crunch most of the day !!

The 2600K s busy all the time anyway so some crunching get's done !

The CPU at full load averages around 57 to 63 degrees celsius. It's only
an "stable" overclock to 4,5Ghz but i think temps are pretty low.
It may be due to 2x200mm fans, 2x140mm fans and the noctua cpu cooler.
A big reason to the temps is that the rig is in an 19 degree celsius environment 24/7.:thup:

The Wizard

Still nothing to crunch for the gpu's...:bang head

This is the normal Tuesday outage for the project. Normally we would expect that the project would come back online late Tuesday afternoon (pacific time) followed by a bandwidth bottleneck as they get slammed with work requests. I anticipate being able to pick up new work about sleep time Tuesday night unless there is news to the contrary in the number crunching SETI forums.

Ok, I'm an old man living in the past. I just reviewed some of the message boards and was reminded that SETI has been on 3 day project outages starting on Tuesday for quite some time. So project should be back up on Thursday, work availablility sleep time Thursday or Friday.....

Ok, I'm an old man living in the past. I just reviewed some of the message boards and was reminded that SETI has been on 3 day project outages starting on Tuesday for quite some time. So project should be back up on Thursday, work availablility sleep time Thursday or Friday.....

I was unable to get work for several days prior to Tuesday's outage; with a 4-day cache, I'm out of work also. Too bad too, my rig had just gotten to 25K RAC for the first time.

Yes, work is coming but the machine finishes all work
before the cache have built up.

The Wizard

This happened to me when I built my rig. They don't have benchmarks it seems for GPUs so the "10 day cache" doesn't really build up til you turn in more and more work. Even then, they have a harder time to build up these WUs as they get crunched so fast and they have only so many units to hand out and limited bandwidth to send them on.

Back