• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmatties

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0

CORSAIR RM Series RM650 650W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

AMD FX-9370 Vishera 4.4GHz Socket AM3+ 220W Eight-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition FD9370FHHKWOX

PowerColor AX7870 2GBD5-2DHV4E/OC Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

this all will be ran in a Cooler Master HAF 912 with current hdds, ssd and dvd drive.

Will post OC spec after everything is up and running. also not sure if the stock liquid cooing will be enough. will post temps and voltages. also any recommendations on after market liquid cooling. closed or sealed which is the best.

Last edited:
What is the differences between 8120-9370 Fx chips? Is it just a factory overclock or are they really different?

New computers are awesome and we hope to see you have at it with making this thing run fast.

I hope that's a rev.4 board you have Cmatties, as for a seled AIO I had the TT water 2.0 extreme and it would hanle it at stock voltages but as MTD says if you really want to unleash the thing a good loop is the way to go.
@ Fugu they're binned for certain specs other than that yes they're the same CPU.

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Gygabyte UD3 ........ Dam I hope you got the REV 4 board with all the issues that people have had with the previous versions. I did a quick build for friend for Christmas using this board and the REV 4 board seemed to hold up to a FX8150 reasonably well though I would fall short of recommending this board completely for the FX8350 or either of the 2 FX9XXX chips. As far as I can tell you are the first to try a build with this board since I looked at it I will be curious to see how it comes along.

Stock Liquid Cooling ...... as in a small AIO cooler will fall well short of your expectations at much anything but stock settings I am afraid. These puppy's generate heat especially when you step on them.

The rest seems good and you will have room to expand your cooling a little at least.

@Johan45 it is rev.4. I made sure of that. its in the mail and if its not its going back. and i'll get the UD7 and i'll spend the little bit more for that broad.

As for cooling i was looking at the corsair h110. don't know much about loop systems.

Last edited:
@johan45 it is rev.4. I made sure of that. its in the mail and if its not its going back. and i'll get the UD7 and i'll spend the little bit more for that broad. = Of course board choice is yours. But most of us that hang in here and help, use the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, the CHV Z and non-Z to really push these cpus. We know them by heart as it were. We have not seen but maybe one Giga UD7 come thru here in the whole time since the first BullDozers were released in 2011. I speak that way because if you run into issues at all...we will have to have full bios pictures to be of much help other than in *principle*.

As for cooling i was looking at the corsair h110. don't know much about loop systems.
= Many of the review sites using the OEM cooling on the 9370s were hung at 4.8Ghz stable on the OEM cooler and I am not sure just doubling the size of the radiator will do much good. Most of us that push up over 5.0ghz even just for benching have far heftier water loops than an H100.

RGone...

I imagine a good air cooler stills works as well as a AIO these days.

Seriously, if I would go water I'd do it right, and not use a AIO.

:salute:

after doing some reading and some research i've chosen to go with XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit. Its a loop system so i can add additional pumps and reservoirs and radiators as needed. also i decided to return the UD3 when it get here for a SABERTOOTH 990FX/ GEN3 R2.0

AMD FX-9370 = Those things come pushing on the need power meter from the get go. I am fairly certain the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 board will be at least some better than the UD3 even in Rev 4.0 which is a must after the Rev 1.1 versions have all been sold long ago. Gigabyte just about left all their entry level users with the Rev 3.0 in a big hole for overclocking.

I would guess we have seen just about most anything that the upper tier Asus boards can and will do. Fact Johan that chimed in earlier has a 9370 and the Sabertooth board. I push my FX-8350 into the plus 5.0Ghz range with a CHV non-Z board and an Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional board which is the forerunner of the 990FX EXT9. Just been so long that Giga left their UD3 users in a lurch, that we have not seen but that one of the newer UD3 Rev 4.0 but it was a trusted helper and I believe what he says since he has proven to know what the heck he is doing.

Good luck overall man.
RGone...

after doing some reading and some research i've chosen to go with XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit. Its a loop system so i can add additional pumps and reservoirs and radiators as needed. also i decided to return the UD3 when it get here for a SABERTOOTH 990FX/ GEN3 R2.0

Make sure the Sabertooth is R2.0 but not Gen3 any of those we have seen had some weird issues and I thought they had been pulled out of stack at most major E-tailers.

thanks for all info. know i'm not sure what to go with. as the sabertooth and formula-z are the only 2 on asus website that says it will support the new CPU's from AMD.

unfortunately i am not able to find a -z anywhere. will the non-z work with the 9370? and the Gen 3 saber is the only one i can find.

now i'm caught between a hard place and rock on what direction i will go.

one more question. should i use the K2 thermal paste that comes with the water cooler or should i use Arctic Silver 7g Premium Silver Thermal Adhesive?

is one better then the other or will the preform the same.

also after i posted that i couldn't find the -z. newegg has in stock again and thats what i'm going to go with. its the better of the asus broads and it'll provide exacttly what i'm looking for. thank god the didn't ship anything yet. everything will be here by friday i hope.

Took a quick look...

I have not looked previously since I take an FX-8350 and overclock it to FX-9xxx speeds, but here is a short list of motherboards that say they support the FX-9xxx cpus. However in the list below I doubt for my ownself that I would choose an M5A99FX Pro R2.0 motherboard since they have issues when trying to push an FX-8 core beyond about 4.6Ghz in full on core mode. That is me and seeing some of the others with their results. However the FX-9xxx cpus should work in the M5A99FX Pro R2.0 when the cpu is used as AMD intended it to be used.

Take good note of the PCB Revisions of the various boards.

Code:
If you own an existing ASUS 990FX/AM3+ motherboard such as the ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z, 
Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and M5A99FX Pro R2.0, 
you can drop the new FX9590 or FX9370 in without needing a BIOS update! 

ASRock 990FX Extreme9	  Any Bios  >>   P1.20/P1.40
ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional	ATX  Bios Ver >> P1.90
ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer	  Any Bios

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev 4.0)	           PCB >> 4.0   Bios Ver >> F1
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 (rev 3.0)	ATX        PCB >> 3.0	Bios Ver >>FCb
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7 (rev 3.0)	           PCB >> 3.0	Bios Ver >> FC

The sabertooth will do just as well and save you $50, trust me I have both boards.
Don't know about the K2 thermal compound but I'm sure it's sufficient. I wouldn't bother with the AS5 and 7g is alot. so unless you plan on swapping things around all the time it would be a waste. If you want something different get Ceramique 2, MX-4 , there are so many. I'm fond of the Phobya he grease extreme since I do swap things around alot it has a short cure time and wipes off quite easily.

Awesome! Another 9370-er.

I don't know if you'll have this issue, but my CHV-Z board tends to not be adequately cooled on the backside, which led to some initial throttling problems. Might not happen in the Cooler Master but I definitely experience some heat issues on the socket itself more than on the package (which is water cooled) in my Corsair 750D.

At this level thermal paste doesn't matter as long as it makes sense to use it (read: you wouldn't put mayo between the two). You really just want a solid place for heat transfer to occur between your parts.

Have you thought of cooling the graphics card as well? They don't really make anything for non reference 7870's but you can use an all-in-one and an NZXT Kraken G10(I think that's correct) to cool it.

Also make sure you grab some static pressure fans to go with those radiators. CFM matters but you can't use it if it bounces right back out of the box.

Arctic silver thermal ADHESIVE or Arctic Silver Thermal Compound. That's 2 different products. No need for the adhesive, you want the thermal compound.

I'm sure that's just a typo.......

just to let you all know i'm moving up in the world. I'm coming from a athlon64 X2 5000 BE which is running at 2.8Ghz 13.5x210 running on asus M2R32-MVP 6gigs ddr2. all cooled by cooler master hyper 212 plus in 2 fan config. so everything is somewhat new to me, especially water cooling.

i hope i can achieve good benchmark scores with this setup that i'm going to. also its not able to keep up with the newer games i want to play.

I'm actually also making a machine and will most likely be going for the FX 9370 and the ASUS Sabertooth 990fx 2.0 Motherboard. I like it.

Back