• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Ryzen CPU and my choice of motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anubis63

Registered
OK I got my Ryzen 7 1700 cpu ddr4 ram 2800 and a 3 fan cooler the motherboard I have chosen is ether a

ASRock X370 PROFESSIONAL GAMING Socket AM4/AMD ATX Motherboard or a

ASRock X370 Killer SLI/ac AM4 AMD Promontory X370 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard or a

ASRock LGA2011-v3/ Intel X99/ DDR4/SATA3&USB3.1/ Wi-Fi/ATX Motherboard (X99 TAICHI)

Does anyone have knowledge of these and can recommend which one I should get. I will be overclocking.

Well, first and foremost the X99 Taichi is for Intel and will NOT work for the Ryzen CPU.

As for the other two you have listed I would recommend looking at the features and determine if one has the features you need. To my knowledge they are both good boards but I have no hands on experience with either of them.

I have seen only good reviews of ASRock X370 Taichi/Killer ( I think they all share the same PCB design ) but can't say much more as I had no chance to test them. ASUS Prime X370 is cheaper and offers about the same.

X370 Tiachi is working fine ...... a bit more VDroop then I was used to with my Crosshair Vz but with LLC set to level 5 voltages are rock steady but a little low compared to what is set in the BIOS reported by HWInfo64. Is that difference the board or software ..... I don't know.

I'm posting back on this thread about 1 week after system re-build. I decided on the ASUS Prime X370-Pro MB, Ryazen 7 1700 CPU, Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm AIO Enthusiast Liquid Cooling System CPU Cooler and and Vengeance DDR4 16GB 3000MHz. The UEFI in the ASUS is different than the one in my old ASRock which I had no trouble with but the new board's UEFI crashes on me if I'm in UEFI for more that a minute. This is with the system set at defaults. The mouse starts jerking real bad then crashes and I have to power down the system. Has anyone else seen this? I have it overclocked to 3.825 via software which I'm sure I can do faster. but running short 20 sec. stress test I increase it to .025GHz test and increase and so on until it reached 62c then shut down I went down to the last one and it works fine. 20 min on prime95 got it to 55c however with a couple of hours playing games and other computing it never reaches 40c.

My problem is getting to UEFI in order to flash it. The ASUS manual only gives the instructions to do it that way. I will have to get in touch with ASUS unless you know of another way.

- - - Updated - - -

I should say getting through UEFI instead of "getting to..."

You can do it from Windows using the EZ flash tool from Asus. Not the way I would normally do it but you have no choice. Return bios to defaults first by hitting the F5 key while in UEFI.

If you run the RAM at 2400 mhz does the problem go away? Reset the CMOS with the jumper (or button if it has one) and try the RAM at lower frequencies. The RAM you picked may not want to play with the motherboard/CPU at higher frequencies. This is a very common experience with Ryzen. Johan45's observations are usually pretty right on.

I made sure the RAM was fully compatible with this model of motherboard so that should not be the problem, however, you gave me an idea to test the RAM. The ram is 3000 but I know it will not go at that speed and at 2400 the problem does not go away, however, it does take it longer to crash I would say it lasts about twice as long in UEFI when I set the RAM at lower speed.

Can you get into Windows to run EZ Flash? And have you tried running with only one stick of RAM and trying each stick in each RAM slot?

Anubis, pull up CPUz and look at the SPD for the ram modules. Does it have a DDR4-2400 setting, or is it an XMP setting? If it is XMP, then you need to enable the XMP profile. The CPU/BIOS could be attempting to set timings he memory doesn't support.

The SPD Ext. is XMP 2.0. Also the system is running great I've had no problems even overclocked to 3.8GHz the only problem I see is when I'm in UEFI. Here is a screen shot Of CPU Z.

Screenshot_1.png

Johan45 said its probably the RAM. I wen and exchanged it for what was supposed to be RAM that is 100% compatible and I changed it from 2800GHz to 3000GHz. Is that what you mean or is it something else?

Back