• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Skylake parts, FPS problems in old games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
regarding the shutdown/power issue, is your bios on the latest version?

And this only happens sometimes?

regarding the shutdown/power issue, is your bios on the latest version?

And this only happens sometimes?

Yes it is, the first thing I did when I upgraded was update bios. It is only a problem after shutdown and seems to occur more often than not. I need to unplug the PC for a few minutes for it to start up again. Sleep mode same issue.

Did you enable global adaptive v-sync in the 970? That monitor does not support FreeSync or G-Sync. I don't have a video card but someone said this helps with fps issues on that monitor (I use one myself).

Did you enable global adaptive v-sync in the 970? That monitor does not support FreeSync or G-Sync. I don't have a video card but someone said this helps with fps issues on that monitor (I use one myself).
Thanks for the suggestion, yes, I have enabled global v-sync in Nvidia control panel. It is strange how Shadowplay or the occasional alt-tab temporarily makes it go away. This issue is something that I will just have to live with, I have to draw the line somewhere.

do you have WOW running in full screen, windowed, or borderless window?

do you have WOW running in full screen, windowed, or borderless window?
I have tried all of them, though that was an excellent tip. Some have found adjusting those exact screen settings very helpful when it comes to refresh rate problems in older versions of wow. I suppose the good news is that the fps fluctuation along with the shutdown issue occur some of the time rather than all the time, and don't detract a whole lot from my experience, at least considering the current usage of this computer.

Have you tried compatibility mode ? if memory serves up to cataclysm WoW was... iffy... about using windowed fullscreen/borderless, regular windowed worked well enough but had much more CPU overhead.

Have you tried compatibility mode ? if memory serves up to cataclysm WoW was... iffy... about using windowed fullscreen/borderless, regular windowed worked well enough but had much more CPU overhead.

Yes, I tried compatibility with XP. This really is something else. I have played full screen for almost all my time in wow, but now prefer windowed fullscreen for faster tabbing. :)

sorry we couldn't come up with a solution for you.

One last thing to try, would be to make sure that your CPU is pegged at it's max speed and not using any power saving features, maybe it is bopping up and down to idle speeds and causing fps fluctuations. WoW IIRC is/was very cpu-intensive and if the cpu speeds are fluctuating it could be causing a problem.

Also, you may want to update your signature :)

sorry we couldn't come up with a solution for you.

One last thing to try, would be to make sure that your CPU is pegged at it's max speed and not using any power saving features, maybe it is bopping up and down to idle speeds and causing fps fluctuations. WoW IIRC is/was very cpu-intensive and if the cpu speeds are fluctuating it could be causing a problem.

Also, you may want to update your signature :)
It is alright, there is no problem with the CPU, I have monitored it with task manager and RealTemp. Temperatures (and clock speeds for that matter) are fine. Classic is somewhat CPU-intensive, but not as intensive as the newest expansion(s).

I removed it altogether, considering I very well may be changing some components in the near future. :)

UPDATE! :)

I am super happy to announce that I managed to fix the boot issue by RMAing my faulty power supply, Seasonic G-550, to my retailer (for the second time, they didn't recognize the problem the first time around). As expected, the retailer refunded the amount they charged me for "an unfounded return" and of course, the current value of the PSU itself. The issue is identified in two different threads on Tom's Hardware, here and here. And as the cherry on the cake, it seems that the FPS problem has disappeared as well!

In addition to Seasonic now, I have also had bad luck with a unit of Corsair's in the past. This time I went for the new EVGA 550 G3, and my system is happy and running smoothly.

I am so happy this nightmare is over. Thank you everyone for your help, and I wish you a Merry Christmas. :)

Wonderful I'm very happy to hear that! Merry Christmas to you as well!

Back