• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Intel, need mobo for Prescott 2.8e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stars1234

Registered
Hey guys/gal. I need your help on ideas for an Intel Prescott P4 2.8e CPU mobo, 800 FSB.

I've always run AMD, but this entire system fell into my hands: the CPU retail packed; an FX5200 & FX5600 128s (with original fans replaced so they don't squeal); NIB coolmaster copper cooler & fan; two, nearly new, Seagate Barracudas, IDE ATA100, 80 gig HDDs; 256 meg stick of Corsair 2.5 RAM and lots more goodies for a fraction of the cost. --A doctor friend, who's into computer heard that I lost my AMD system from a shorted mobo and offered all this at less than $250. He's a good man.

When somebody offers you new or nearly new components at 1/4 or less their worth, I couldn't pass it up. He even had a 64bit AMD Optron, complete system that he'd let me have for less than $900, but I couldn't swing that much.

I'll be installing in the case I was going to put my new AMD system--ANTEC, with pws350 + two 120 mm fans; a DVD RW; CD RW; 2 sticks of Corsair 2.5, PC3200, 512 megs memory.

The HDDs are not SATA so there's no need for that right now. I'd like to run RAID 1, but that seems to only be with SATA drives.

I saw on Newegg, that some people claimed they had this CPU up to 4.1 gig, on air--but I don't believe it. And even so, CPU speed isn't everything, but with the 800 FSB, it probably has some umph to it. And at that very generous price, I couldn't help but turn tail and go to INTEL.

Essentially, I need your best suggestions on a good, stable, vannila, DDR, INTEL board for OCing the Prescott, socket 478; Nvidia Video, Corsair RAM, with any other features I can get, for less than $100.

I've always used Abit or Asus with my AMD systems. This is an entirely new world to me.

Is there anything out there for <$100?

Your suggesions will be very helpfull.

Thanks,
Bob

Welcome to The Forums Bob !!

Wow, you sure have really good friends! Wish I had friends like that, lol.

Well, if you're looking for the best board to get the most out of that pressy, my suggestion would be the Asus P4C800 Deluxe. You might find it on newegg's refurbed section for less than $100, but retail goes for something like $180+. Be advised tho the refurbed one doesn't come complete. it'll be missing a few accesories like backplate(I/O shield) and other things.

Another thing you should look at is the Power supply you have. The Antec is a very good brand, 350w might not be enough to power all your stuff especially runnin 2 HDD's, 2 roms and thos fans and have enough for a good oc. Might look into something a little stronger like 450w or better with a beefy 12v rail.

Other than that it looks like you got a killer deal on those parts and it'll make a great setup. Good luck and keep us posted! ;)

Last edited:
yea, get an ASUSTek P4P800 or P4C800 (ionno if some higher models of the P4P800 have LGA775... i got the normal p4p800)

and get a new power supply.. ive got a site for a DiabloTek 500-something watt PSU... its a good psu

Personally, I think the Abit IC7-G is a better choice for a Prescott. The Asus vcore droops too much under load.

Thank you sooooo much

looks like new pws + a mobo and then an aquarium full of that new non-coductive liquid, run through a heat exchanger, immerssed in liquid nitro, & I'll be off, flying (at least until it explodes and burns down the house--lol).

the man who sold me these things, always stays on the leading edge of tech, but he doesn't overclock. --just buys the fastest systems on the consumer market, every six-months or so. He definitely was, very generous. And I'm appreciative.

Should I look at just a new pws or new case too--I was looking at some and they cost 2/3 rds as much as I paid for my components!? eeeekkk! suggestions?

I gather then, NO gigabyte board as was in a picture on the INTEL site that showed BIOS info on the 2.8e CPU? --I've always used ABIT & ASUS for my systems, except I decided to try an ECS as an experiment--and it shorted out.

That's why I'm on my AMD233 + TX5, backup system. I have it OCed to 234 mhz! But I'm surprised I could even get it too work. 233 mhz. doesn't work too well in today's world.

So, I'll keep it simple for now--go up in the PWS that's in the ANTEC Solutions case (it's a steel case with 12 bays).

I'll take --good PWS recommendations as well as do you think I need to change cases?

I was looking and they are quite expensive. My friend had a case he'd sell me for $110 that lists for nearly $200. I didn't know they made cases that expensive. I suppose at that price, and knowing him, it must be quality, but it's way out of my price range. Recomendations their, as to my ANTEC case being ok or not and a good, but reasonably priced PWS?

I thank you all for your help.

It's good to have some friends out here willing to listen and pitch in with ideas.

Bob

Back