• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to LCDs - Guidance Appreciated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Piazza0028

Hey everyone,
I just finished my first year of college, and during my second semester I started playing some online poker on my laptop. To make a long story short, I've done pretty well and would like to become more serious. In order to do this I have to abandon playing on my laptop as the resolution doens't allow me to fit multiple tables without overlap. My current monitor is probably 8 years old, and is really hard on the eyes, so I'm in the market for a new monitor. I'm looking to pick up an LCD monitor in order to replace my old CRT. Its primary function will probably be for poker, but I'd like to be able to play CS:S without ghosting as well. I don't plan on continually buying new monitors, so I don't mind spending money in order to get a quality monitor. Thus, I don't really have a set price range that I'm looking for, so I guess I'm wondering what monitors currently offer the best price/performance ratios for the aforementioned uses. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

In terms of what to look for in LCD... look here.

Check into widescreen monitors too... best bet is a 19" to 20" in your case if you want widescreen. Otherwise look for 17" to 19" for the standard square (4:3).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116373
This is what I have, and I love it. The price has dropped at lot over the past few months... I got my in January for $315. Now its only $270 with free shipping.
Widescreen is amazing.

tLove said:
In terms of what to look for in LCD... look here.

Check into widescreen monitors too... best bet is a 19" to 20" in your case if you want widescreen. Otherwise look for 17" to 19" for the standard square (4:3).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116373
This is what I have, and I love it. The price has dropped at lot over the past few months... I got my in January for $315. Now its only $270 with free shipping.
Widescreen is amazing.
17 and 19 in lcd are 5:4 ratio

hm both seem very nice, how do they compare to the 2005fpw? what are the adv/disadvantages of the widescreen dells? thanks

Echo_ said:
17 and 19 in lcd are 5:4 ratio

whoops. Yea, thats right. And most pc monitors that are widescreen are 16:10 (as in difference to most TV's which are 16:9). Now, you will find a few 16:9 monitors, just have to look for them.
Piazza0028 said:
hm both seem very nice, how do they compare to the 2005fpw? what are the adv/disadvantages of the widescreen dells? thanks

Well Dell makes really really nice Ultrasharp monitors. You'll find plenty of people ranting and raving about them, and honestly I have nothing against them. I didn't have the money for a 20" which is why I didn't pick a Dell. Viewsonic also makes really nice monitors which is why I picked the va1912wb. Look into the Dells if you want a 20-24".

Now the widescreen factor... I went from using a normal CRT to a widescreen LCD... let me tell you the extra width is amazing. Surfing the web is great (fuller view of forums, many firefox tabs/bookmarks), great for widescreen movies (those really nice 720p Quicktime Trailers look spectacular), gaming is a lot of fun (most games coming out in today's day offer widescreen support, and old games just require simply hacks... WideScreenGamingForums), video editing is nice because you get a great view of the timeline... I can't think of much else. I'll probably never buy a normal sized monitor again.

...my two cents ;)

I have a 2005fpw and it rocks, I wouldn't trade it for anything (except for maybe a 2405 or 3007... :p). good picture quality and the resolution is very nice.

I just got the Dell 1907 and it is awesome. I wanted a 2005FPW but it came down to a widescreen LCD or a regular LCD and my new Opteron 165. The 1907 & 165 won!

I'd get a widescreen monitor, most 19" monitors default at to low a resolution for having lots of windows open, the 2005 or even 2405FPW would give you plenty of room.

Back